PDA

View Full Version : February Pastel Strokes

Bhavana Vijay
02-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Hi everyone!:wave:

Welcome to the February edition of PASTEL STROKES! Those who participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies, they are as follows:

• An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.
• The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also threads in the Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel forums with links to the Pastel Talk project link.
• Interested participants, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.
• The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things! This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Feel free to have some fun!
• You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size.
• Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

The picture for February is a still life that I set up in my kitchen. I am really excited to see how everyone interprets it! Here it is...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2007/70937-april_011.jpg

Have fun painting!!

AnnieA
02-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Bhavana: Wow - this looks like a good one! It's such an interesting photo and the color and reflections will be terrific to paint! Is it a mint julep?

Thanks so much for hosting this month! :clap::clap::clap:

sundiver
02-01-2007, 05:56 AM
Looks like tea! Beautiful image, and aaaakkk, a challenge!

Bhavana Vijay
02-01-2007, 08:43 AM
:wave:
Annie I am so happy that you like the picture!! Its tea with mint and lemon, I set it up just to paint!:D Thanks for joining us.
I am really happy to have the oppurtunity to host this month.
Wendy, you are right...its tea.:) Hope you give it a shot! I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Pat Isaac
02-01-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm definitely in on this one. Love it!

Pat

Piper Ballou
02-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I am in for this month, I love the reference....and can't wait to see what everyone does with it.
piper

pequan
02-01-2007, 10:16 AM
love it thanks for doing it.

hpept
02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I think I'll join with this. Very good ref image.

Kathryn Wilson
02-01-2007, 10:27 AM
When the Pastel Forum staff saw this image, we knew it would be a hit!

CM Neidhofer
02-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Gonna try to get in on this one. Work schedule is nuts and we'll be moving later this month. But I'll try.

Christine

Bhavana Vijay
02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Good morning Everyone :wave: , I am thrilled that you all like the image. Thanks to the moderators for helping this do this and selecting this picture.

Piper, Pequan, hpept and christine so glad you could join us! I cant wait to see your versions!
Kat, I hope you will give this a shot too. Christine, I am sure it will be tough to fit this in with a move and everything, tho it will be wonderful if you could, maybe a small version?:)

Happy painting!

michellej
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Bhavana
Count me in :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great image!

ElleZee
02-01-2007, 02:22 PM
G-u-l-p.....no pun intended :D Beautiful photo....love the colours and reflections and shapes......I am a little scared, but very tempted at the same time. Well, maybe it's time to stick my toe in the water and give the monthly project a go :)

Netty
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
hehehe yeah I am about the same Lori, gulp, hehe.... I have never had a go at the monthly project and I have never done a still life either, so maybe its time !!

Thanks Bhavana, it is a very interesting pic!

Annie-Maree:)

hpept
02-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Ok, here is my entry( it seems it's the first one in absolute :lol:):
Pentel oil pastels on medium grey cardstock, 16X21cm
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2007/96237-Tea.jpg

C&C much appreciated.

Cheers
Roberto

michellej
02-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Roberto those leaves Wow! they look so realistic the texture is amazing and the colours in the rest of the painting ...Well done:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bhavana Vijay
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Greta, so glad you are joining us!!:)

:lol: Lori, just give in to the temptation and give this a go...it'll be fun!

Netty, two firsts!! Cant wait to see your version!!

I've uploaded a larger format in the RIL for wasier cropping. Heres the link
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=70265

Bhavana Vijay
02-01-2007, 04:53 PM
WOW Roberto!! Its amazing!! :clap: :clap: The leaves have so much texture and the slice of lemon is shiny and moist. Great job on the bubbles too!:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Awesome, Roberto. This is just wonderful.

Pat

LJW
02-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Perfect use of that grey cardstock, Roberto. Beautifully done. Jane

binkie
02-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Wow Roberto! You've done a gorgeous job!

It's a lovely photo. I'd like to try it but don't know if I will post my results since this one is way over my head. It's going to be fun to see what everyone does.

binkie

AngelaF
02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow, Roberto -- :clap: :clap: :clap: -- as usual. Your rendition is so, so realistic -- I just can't believe the limits to which you push those Pentel OP's.

hopalong
02-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Roberto!!! THis is lovely.
Sigh, my last month's coconuts was too aweful to post. So I'm ready to give this one a try. Might as well be soon! Lovely photo. Very original view for as still life. Almost like I'm taking a drink!

Bhavana Vijay
02-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi Binkie and Lindsay!!:) SO glad you are joining us. Would love to see your paintings.
I havent started on mine, its a busy weekend with the game coming up. Will do soon tho.:)

MSusie
02-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Bhavana,
Wow ... beautiful photo, this is a very nice challenge! Thanks! I definitely have to plan time to work on this one.

Roberto ... nice interpretation ... colors are great!

Marie

CJMonty
02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Roberto, That looks so real, it's incredible. Never realised you could do this with Oil Pastels, I had some once before I went over to Soft Pastels, I gave them away because I didn't like the feels of them, they seemed to turn out too much like the crayons we used to use at school.:lol:

WELL DONE

CJ

hpept
02-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Thank you Michelle, Bhavana, Pat, Jane, binkie, Angela, Lindsay, Marie and CJ. You are all too nice with me. I'm only doing my best with what I have around. Pentel pastel don't seem too bad to my inexperienced hands (it's the only brand I've experimented with, except a 12 colours set of a brasilian brand). I can do (almost) what i want them to do, except some problems with multiple layers which sometimes scrape off the lower layers. I think this is due to the fact that the sticks don't seem to have all the same hardness, but some colours are harder and drier than others and tend to work as "erasers" when i lay them on other softer colours. I hope someday I will have the possibility to experiment with some high quality pastels to see how they feel.

t-sue
02-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Stunning work, Roberto!!! Just stunning!!! :clap:
I hope someday I will have the possibility to experiment with some high quality pastels to see how they feel.That's almost frightening to think about if you're doing this caliber of work with what you've got!!!!! :thumbsup:

Eirl
02-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Swallowing hard and feeling brave at posting next to Roberto's wonderful painting. The lemon seems to have lost its yellowness somewhere in cyberspace! Please give me as much C and C as your valuable time allows, I really am open to all the help I can get. I used what is meant to be black but is really dark grey paper and Conte pencils.Thank you. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2007/97712-mint.jpg

michellej
02-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Eirl,
Your rendition is great. Again the leaves. You did an exceptional job with them and I also like the bubbles that are at the side of the glass. Great!:clap:

t-sue
02-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Eirl,
Your rendition is great. Again the leaves. You did an exceptional job with them and I also like the bubbles that are at the side of the glass. Great!:clap:Greta Michelle just took the words right out of my mouth! Well done, Eirl!!

LJW
02-03-2007, 04:19 PM
I agree. Eirl, your leaves are wonderful and the bubbles are so realistic. Excellent job. Jane

Pat Isaac
02-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I concur. Magnificent leaves.

Pat

binkie
02-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Eirl, great job!

binkie

Bhavana Vijay
02-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Marie, so glad you are joining us.:)

Love your painting Eirl!!:clap: The leaves are beautiful and I really like your crop.

Eric0001
02-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi,

Below is my trial which is definitely well below the standard set by previous two drawings posted. Facing such two good drawings, it really hard for me to decide whether to post my drawing or not. Anyway, I just want to post it for sharing with others which becomes the main drive to keep me on drawing.

Thank you for your looking. Any C & C is welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/94831-LemonTea.jpg

Eirl
02-04-2007, 09:35 AM
HI Eric, I came to WC about 8 weeks ago and have got lots of help. I know how you feel about posting I was apprehensive about going after Roberto's great rendition. I was lucky the leaves turned out quite well and appreciate the kind comments on them, BUT there are a number of features in my effort that are far from accurate!! I am not experienced enough to give C and C but to me your painting looks really good . This is a great place and I know that it has given me lots of encouragment . Best wishes and keep up the good work. Elizabeth

MSusie
02-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Eirl ... no reason to swallow hard ... lovely painting, like Roberto's painting your colors, especially the leaves and your interpretation of the bubbles keeps the eye moving around the painting. Hope mine turns out as well as our painting and Roberto's!

Marie

michellej
02-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Eric,
I simply do not agree with you. I think you did a great job. Your leaves are realistic and I like the values you achieved in your liquid.

pequan
02-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Roberto: your painting is amazing! great job
Eril: your painting is beautiful as well... your lemon did lose it's yellow it is now a lime....it is green and I love it!!
what amazes me is that in both paintings the leaves are so real...great work!!
Eric: your "drawing" is really good as well...I especially like the lemon...don't be so hard on yourself.... you did a really nice painting!

Usha
02-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I am new to pastels. I am still in experimental stage. Here is my work on a canson colorline paper. I will appreciate C and C's.
Thanks,
Usha
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/67936-wc.jpg

michellej
02-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Welcome Usha,
This is very nice. the lemon, the leaves the bubbles the whole thing is well done.

Bhavana Vijay
02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi Eric, I am so happy you decided to post your painting. You are being too hard on yourself...your painting is really nice. I like the colours you've used and also the texture on the leaves...very feathery.:)
Hi Usha, thanks for joining in! Your leaves have so much character, the texture is really realistic. Lovely painting!:)

Usha
02-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Michellej, Bhavij,

Thank you for your kind comments. It is a good photograph, with a simple good subject and lovely colors.
Usha

hopalong
02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Really lovely painting Eirl. I like the limy look to your lemon!

AngelaF
02-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Eric -- you did a very nice job. Your leaves are very 3 dimensional. I would like to see some more darks on the glass rim for increased realism -- but that's me in response for your C&C request. Again Great Job.

Eric, I like the roundness you have achieved with the glass and your leaves are well done, too. Again, some well place darks would go a long way.

Usha, I love the color of the liquid -- very rich. Your interpretation of the leaves also makes it very interesting (they look real, but different than the other interpretations). It is always amazing how these photo challenges show so many interesting and beautiful , yet distinct, interpretations of a single subject.

LJW
02-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Eric, your drawing is well done and your tea really looks like tea!
Usha, I love the warm colours you have used and your leaves are very three dimensional. Jane

Yvette Bowles
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone:wave: sorry for my absence the last couple of weeks, "my hubby has been hogging the computor"
Lovely photo for this months challenge,well done. I am gulping too, I want to have a go too, hope mine wont be tooo bad to post up :) I'll get on to it tomorrow....
bye for now
Yvette

Piper Ballou
02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
hmmmm, so it is tea, I was going to ask that question....working on my now, should post it in a couple of days
piper

Pat Isaac
02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I agree, Eric. You are too hard on yourself. The drawing is quite fine and Usha, I love your tea color.

Pat

LJW
02-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Once again, I've gone for colour. (I'm desperately trying to forget that it's winter outside.) I also posterized the photo in Painter to make it more abstract, since there were already a number of excellent renditions. My version is done with Sennelier and Holbein oil pastels on 4" x 6" blue-grey Colourfix. C & C welcome. Jane

michellej
02-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Very nice Jane. Nothing like a little colour to chase away the cold.:clap:

binkie
02-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Eric, You did a very nice job on a difficult subject. I want to build up the nerve to give it a go.

Usha, Great job. I really like the rich colors you used.

Jane, Super leaves and delicious colors!

binkie

hpept
02-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Very nice Jane. You gave the impression of a pop art work coming directly from the 70's.

Bhavana Vijay
02-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Its beautiful Jane!!:clap: Love the blue with the orange and the crop really works!

johndill01
02-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Bhavana: Thanks much for this challenging photo. This has been a learning experience for sure. Had quite a bit of trouble with the elipses on the glass. Still not satisfied with the luminousity of the tea. Painted on 9 x 12 elephant grey AS using NuPastels for the underpainting, followed by various softies, mostly Ludwigs.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/50746-P1011343.JPG

Pat Isaac
02-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Great job, Jane. I love the colors and the abstract feel.

Pat

Piper Ballou
02-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I am really inspired by everyone's work on this, I love the colors that are being used.
I am still working on my painting but thought I would post what I have done so far. Let me know what you think. I have not worked with glass much before and find this a real challenege.....but fun
piper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/8539-cup_of_tea2.jpg

Pat Isaac
02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Looks great, John. I know what you mean about the ellipses. I think I drew mine six times and I'm still not sure if it is right.

Piper, this is coming along fine and the glass is glass.

Pat

michellej
02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Great job John.

Loving those leaves Piper. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I have yet to get to mine. Still working on ATCs and having fun doing them:D

Bhavana Vijay
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Yvette, looks like I missed your post yesterday! Glad you got the comp back.:) Do join us, looking forward to your painting.

Jon, I actually think you've done a beautiful job with the tea...it is luminous...it glows! Great job!

Piper, its going great!! The glass is looking wonderful, cant wait for the finish.

BOHEMIANTINKER
02-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks Michelle,
I have printed it off and am so excited about this image- It will be a fun challenge!

Thanks again,

Kelli

Jo Castillo
02-06-2007, 10:15 PM
This looks fun and challenging, hope to join in next week, traveling this week. These first few are just great.
Jo

*Violet*
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
wow ... i go away for a week and come back to this project so far underway with such wonderful paintings submitted ... roberto, eirl, eric, usha, jane, and john, each of your works are great unto themselves ... :thumbsup: ... each have their own merit ... all of you are a tough act to follow ... piper, yours is coming along wonderfully ... nice to see it posted as a wip ... that's always so informative ... it's a great reference photo and i'd love to try and do it too ... i'm already behind the 8 ball with wanting to work on 2 other projects too ...:eek: ... i wish there were more than one of me !!! ... :lol: ... at the very least i'll be peeking in here to see what's happening ...

calice
02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Wow- so much has happened so quickly! Everything looks lovely. I've never done a still life in pastel and hope to give this one a try. The one's I've seen here are inspiring-they all make me thirsty!
Calice

bock
02-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I saw this reference and knew I had to try it! Thanks Bhavana for the challenging photo! And it was challenging, but I really enjoyed this. Everyone has done such nice work here and I have really enjoyed seeing how each handled it. They all look so good!
Here's my attempt.
Pat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/45744-Img_1431.jpg600.jpg

*Violet*
02-07-2007, 12:01 AM
fabulous pat !! ... hardly and attempt !! ... :):) ... it's a success :thumbsup:

BOHEMIANTINKER
02-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Pat
Stunningly Beautiful And Your Use Of Color Exquisite!

Thank You For Sharing!

Kelli

bock
02-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks Violet! Couldn't get the tea to glow in the bottom of the glass like the reference but had fun trying. Think I need a flourescent pastel!
Pat

bock
02-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks Kelli, think we cross posted. I love the shot Bhavana gave us. Need to learn how to set up still lifes like this.
Pat

Usha
02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Wow! Fabulous pat !! Looks so real! How did you get that softness? What paper you used as a base? Sorry for my questions, but I couldn't resist!

Usha

Pat Isaac
02-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Fantastic work, Pat.

Pat

Eirl
02-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Yes Pat it is terrific.

Merethe T
02-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Wow, you're doing some fiiiine work here! Great pic to paint from, gotta say I'm tempted to give it a go too.... ;)

pequan
02-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Pat: Looks exactly like the real thing... making me thirsty!
LJW: really cool painting
John: great job!
Piper: good start!!
Usha: I can't believe you are new to pastels, super painting..

Yvette Bowles
02-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi every-one,:wave: been unwell with neck trouble this week, so been lounging about a bit with hotwater bottles on my neck,....(enough moaning....I am getting better ) but couldnt make a mess on my settee, so worked in charcoal pencil's.....hope you like it :)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/Yvette_073/cupoftea.jpg

Alecto
02-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Holy cow, I didn't even realize this thread was here, and it's already 6 pages deep. I have to give this one a go; it looks so much easier than the "frond-y" one last month (why do I have a feeling I'll be eating my words?). :rolleyes:

CM Neidhofer
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Here's my contribution. Probably the last piece I'll have time to do for a while since we're moving at the end of the month. This was fun and a relatively easy subject. This is 8 x 10 on a medium gray Ampersand Pastelbord. Enjoyed doing this one. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/40633-Feb._Pastel_Strokes.jpg

Christine

LJW
02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Wow, this is turning out to be a popular image and everyone is doing a terrific job on it. I'm impressed.

fortysomething
02-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Bhavana, thank you for hosting this month! This is such a wonderful image. :thumbsup: I've just now started on my version of it today, and I hope I can do something as pretty as what I've seen so far. Really nice work!

pequan
02-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Ok, I finished mine as well....always open for critiques......done on Wallis profession, with mostly Art Spectrum softies.....

pequan
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Wow Chris, so life like....I couldn't get my leaves to look like yours if I took a week trying....PERFECT
Yvette: wish I would have seen your beautiful b/w before submitting mine, I now see how to do the leaves.... great job!!

Pat Isaac
02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Pequan, Christy and Yvette......just great. I like the reduction to the B&W values. Always a good thing to do anyway.

Pat

binkie
02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow! They are all so beautiful!! Sorry for not commenting on each painting individually but as usual I'm behind. Maybe one of these I'll get DSL and be able to keep up with everyone better.

This was a real challenge for me, particularly the ellipse. Just couldn't get that right. Is there a trick to it, or is it practice, practice, practice? And there are several other things that need to be changed but for now I'm calling it done.

binkie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/34440-TEA__FEB_PASTEL_STROKES__020707.jpg

t-sue
02-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Bhavana, you have chosen well... it's a great subject and has been done magnificently throughout the week.... it's such fun to come in each day to dee all of the gorgeous work! :)
This was a real challenge for me, particularly the ellipse. Just couldn't get that right. Is there a trick to it, or is it practice, practice, practice?Binkie, I think you did a beautiful job on this!!! :clap: I hadn't notice the elipse until you brought it to my attention!! Maybe think of it as hand blown by an artisan? sure is pretty, you know!!!

Bhavana Vijay
02-08-2007, 12:01 AM
WOW!!I missed so much.
Sorry, I havent been able to check in earlier today since we travelled here to MA for my nieces first birthday party.

Kellie, Jo, Violet, Merethe, Alecto, Lisa and Calice, welcome! So glad you decided to give this a go. I am very excited to see your paintings.

Pat, wow!! Its gorgeous!! Your glass looks so much like "glass". Its beautiful.

Yvette, really sorry to hear about your neck troubles, I hope you are feeling better now. I sure like your painting!:) Your values look spot on, beautiful leaves.
Chris, yay, you got time to paint. So happy you had fun. Your painting looks wonderful, love the tea.

Pequan, great job. I really like your background colours and I think your leaves look wonderful.

Binkie, love your painting. Your tea just glows and I love that shade of blue as a background.

The paintings so far have been so amazing.:clap: :clap: Its been really fun.

binkie
02-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks Tammy for the compliment. You have a good idea. I'll just call this one,"a beginning glassblower's challenge.":lol:

Bhavana, thanks. And thank you for hosting this month. Your selection helped me to reach beyond what I thought I could do. The blue is actually purple in real life.

binkie

Yvette Bowles
02-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Hi Bhavana, thanks for your nice comments, I surprised myself doing that picture, :) thanks too my neck is getting better now, doesnt ache so much thismorning. pequan, thanks for comments, ...but your's was great,(amazing how we like other's and not our own :) )

Pat Isaac
02-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Great job, Binkie and I love the tea color.

Pat

*Violet*
02-08-2007, 02:44 PM
to all the new additions ..... :clap: :clap: :clap: and :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... all are great ... still haven't started on mine :( but i *have* been collecting the images in preparation for doing the collage !! ... do i get brownie points at least for that ?? ... :lol: .... and binkie .... *shhhhh* tracing helps with getting an elipsis right .... and i don't think tracing is a bad thing ... i believe in *use whatever resources you have* to assist with doing art ... they even did whatever they could in michaelangelo's age !!! ...

pequan
02-08-2007, 04:11 PM
thanks for the comments ....
Binkie: I think your rendition is gorgeous...

Kotelok
02-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Didn’t draw or paint for 15 years - stopped at the age of 18. Who knows why… Was not in the mood, I guess. My ex didn’t even know that I can draw…. Thank you guys for inspiration! What a nice feeling…. To draw again!………..
Sennelier and some hard pastels on Wallis ~8x12

LJW
02-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Binkie, Pequan, Kotelok, more excellent renditions. Nice to see you still have the touch Kotelok despite the time away from art. Jane

hpept
02-08-2007, 07:56 PM
WOW! I stayed some days without visiting this thread, and I'm amazed at the quality of the entries. Some excellent paintings already, and still waiting for some "big calibers" to post their entry... Oh my....
My compliments to everybody who posted a pic up to now.

binkie
02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your comment, Pat.

Violet, :thumbsup: Thanks for the suggestion. I have nothing against tracing and it would be a good idea if I were trying to paint something as a gift for someone. But I want to be able to work without tracing, so I keep practicing.
pequan, thanks for the compliment.

Kotelok, So glad you joined us. Your painting is lovely. Your painting doesn't look like you've been away from art for 15 years. Welcome back!

Thanks, Jane.

binkie

bock
02-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks Usha, Pat, Eirl and Linda for the nice comments.
Linda yours looks terrific!
Yvette, hope you are feeling better. I like your charcoal rendering. I like doing value studies but don't do it often enough.
Christine, love your colors. Beautiful!
Binkie, your lemon looks so wet and moist. I really love the violet!
Bhavana, thanks, great reference!
Kotelok, I love your colors too, and the translucence of that lemon.

Pat

Pat Isaac
02-09-2007, 07:36 AM
What a nice piece, Kotelok. You would never know you haven't been painting all along. Keep painting.

Pat

wabbitt
02-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Howdy all :wave:

Here's my first OP painting with brand new Sennelier oil pastels on Smooth Bristol, 6x9 inches. I had a heck of a time because I'm still getting a feel for the new pallette (colors) so I was trying to work out the color blending. Also had a heck of a time with the leaves but I'm out of time (leaving for the weekend to take care of Mom) so I'm stopping here, already scraped them two times. I'll be back another day to add my comments. Thanks for looking.

C&C welcome. Do the ellipses look off to you? I measured and measured before I started coloring. I know the highlights and color bands aren't totally accurate, they shifted a bit as I blended.

Bhavana, thank you for hosting with a fantastic picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/76057-op-sm.jpg

Pat Isaac
02-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Julie, what a great job you did with your new Senns. Do you like working on smooth Bristol. I would think the OPs would slide around. BTW, the ellipses and leaves look good to me.

Pat

Kim Bolick
02-10-2007, 01:15 PM
This is my first post. I'm new to WC. Been browsing the site for a few weeks, and when I saw this great photo, I knew I was ready to join in the fun! Thank you, Bhavana, for hosting this month! All of the posts have been great. I love seeing all the different styles and interpretations! I am a graphic artist by trade, and I'm still trying to find my own "style" with painting/drawing. Trying to move away from such a literal style and move closer to a loose, impressionist style. I cropped this a little (unintentionally as I printed it). I may do another version without cropping and on smoother pastel paper. This one was done on white water color paper with soft pastels (NuPastel, Rembrandt and Sennelier). It's a little difficult building up the highlights on white paper. I hope to get a little more contrast with a tinted paper. I welcome any comments, and thank you for taking the time to look!
Kim

binkie
02-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Julie, Great job! Your ellipses look good; much better than mine. That something I struggle with but am determined to draw them correctly someday.

Kim, Welcome! Your painting looks super! I really like your background.

binkie

Pat Isaac
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Nice clean, fresh color and I like the texture of the paper showing through.

Pat

Kim Bolick
02-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks, Binki and Pat! I am thankful my friend told me about this website. It's a great tool!
Kim

fortysomething
02-10-2007, 08:02 PM
There's been some great participation this month. :thumbsup: Everyone has done such beautiful work, and it's so much fun to see everyone else's paintings.:clap: :clap: Okey-dokey, I finally got mine done!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/64375-ps_Feb07_step6.jpg

Bhavana, thank you so much for hosting this month. This was a great photo to work from!
-Lisa :D

Kim Bolick
02-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Lisa, love your style! Beautiful painting!
Kim

calice
02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/92716-iced_tea_3.JPG

calice
02-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi! Hope this posts OK. I would like advice about how to make a glass the right shape. I've tried a grid before-tried to do this without one:( Are there any more tricks for those challenged with perspective?
This is on orange Canson- thought it would be interesting to use warm oranges. My first pastel still life- any comments welcome!

hpept
02-11-2007, 12:01 AM
There are several graphic construction methods for drawing an ellipse. You can try to look for them googling "ellipse drawing".
The first one it comes to my mind, is to take a thread, close it in a loop with a knot, and punch two pins in the sheet (these two points are called focuses). Now put the thread around the pins and with a pencil, draw a contour maintaining the thread loop in tension. Voilá, a perfect ellipse. This because the ellipse has the property that the algebraic sum of the distances between each point on the contour and the focuses is a constant.
Hope this helps.
Roberto

P.S: I've found another method which seems quite easy to use:
http://carverscompanion.com/Ezine/Vol2Issue4/Judt/Ellipses.html

Kim Bolick
02-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi Calice. I'm not an expert in precise drawing, but I think you did a pretty good job with the glass. Only one thing I can think of that helps me. I draw a complete elipse, even if I have to draw off my page. I use my whole arm and just start lightly circling and circling. It's hard to describe without actually showing the motion. It always helps me to get loose by practicing very quick sketches before getting started on my drawing. Hope this makes sense. I like the softness of your painting.
Kim

MSusie
02-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Kim,
Love your painting! Especially the way the white paper shows through ... very reflective! Nice Job.

Lisa,
Super intrepretation, your colors add a great deal of drama to the painting. Very nice. What type of paper and pastels did you use?

Marie

LJW
02-11-2007, 04:57 PM
My, it's hard to keep up with the production in this thread.
Julie, great OP interpretation - the Senneliers are obviously working for you. Your ellipses seem fine to me. Kim, I like the texture in your version. Lisa and Calice, great to see two new interpretations - drama with Lisa's darker tones and softness with Calice's higher values. Good work. Jane

*Violet*
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
haven't started mine yet ... but i've been collecting !! ... and i think this is all i can fit into one image ... let me know if i've missed anyone ... i'll likely create a new one for any i've missed and any more that are submited
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/46454-02_07_pastel_group_sm.jpg
fabulous work everyone !! ...

bock
02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Violet, what a great idea! Nice to see all the color interpretations together. Looks like a Wayne Thiebaud with tea!

Pat

Piper Ballou
02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Just finished mine....this was a fun project and I agree with Pat that I really like seeing all the color interpretations....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/8539-Feb_pastel_tea.jpg

calice
02-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Thank you hpept and Kim for your helpful suggestions on drawing elipses. I am looking forward to trying them!
Calice:)

binkie
02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Lisa, Great colors! Super job!

Calice, Very nice. I like to peachy colors too. I'm afraid I have the same problems with ellpses and perspectve, although your glass looks pretty good to me. I just keep practicing and hopefully I am gettng better. Just wondering, where in Southern CA do you live? I live north of San Diego.

Violet, Great idea! I love seeing all the renditions on the same page. They are all different and all lovely.

Piper, Nice work, especially the glass!

binkie

Bhavana Vijay
02-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Just got back today from my trip tonight and woohoo its soo incredible to see so many more paintings!

Kotelok, welcome to WC! 15 years...I would have never guessed. Your painting looks gorgeous. Love how the tea glows and all the colors on the leaves.

Julie, so glad you joined us! I really love the vibrant colors in your painting. Looks like you had a lot of fun with your new OPs. Your ellipses look fine. Lovely work.

Kim, hi and welcome! Beautiful painting,very cheerful. I really like the crop and I love the strokes.

Hi Lisa, very nice painting. I love the rich deep colors you've used. I really liked how you handled the edge of the glass. Beautiful painting!

Calice your painting looks soft and dreamy. I love how you've used minimal colors to make an effective painting. I have not given this picture a go yet but usually I do what Kim was suggesting. Roberto I found your method really interesting. Havent read the link yet but it seems very informative.

Piper! Its lovely. The leaves have a great texture and the glass looks wonderful.

Violet, that looks amazing!!!:clap: Thank you so much for doing this. I was going to give it a try( after seeing yours) at the end of this month but its really nice to see them now.:D

wabbitt
02-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Roberto - amazing job so quickly. colors, shapes, everything. Bravo! :thumbsup:

Eirl - well done. I'm jealous of your leaves.

Eric - your liquid is fabulous. That's the color I was trying to get! The top ring of the glass is great.

Usha - well done. I'm always experimenting, I haven't settled on anything yet.

jane - I love how you worked blues and greens and pinks into your painting.

john - nice job on the lemon and orange part of the liquid. I think you found luminosity there.

Pat (bock) - Excellent rendering, so photorealistic!

Yvette - nice job on the black & white

Christy - looks great!

Pequan - well done!

binkie - I love how you managed the highlights in the liquid.

kotelok - beautiful, I like how you photographed your setup.

Pat Isaac - I did like the smooth bristol. The op's did slide around where I tried to blend the edges of color, but other areas were "sticky." I think it had something to do with the cold temperature in my house at the time. My rice krispy treats set up too fast that evening too.

Kim - that is a very cool rendition. very creative!

Lisa - I really like your crop. The colors of the leaves look dark on my monitor. Not seeing it against the liquid.

calice - well done and welcome to WC and to the pastel forum. A grid works quite well for me. I once drew a 1" grid on clear acetate and taped it to my monitor. Then I'd draw a grid (bigger or smaller, depending on scale) on the paper.

But This time I measured points on the glass from the edges. Once I established the glass outline, everything was measured relative to something I'd already established.

Violet - that is awesome but the month isn't half over yet!

Piper - looks great. It was neat seeing your halfway too.

Thanks Bhavana. Yay, I'm caught up! :clap:

Pat Isaac
02-12-2007, 08:09 AM
You are right about the production of this thread. Piper that is a lovely piece.
Julie, thanks for you input about the smooth bristol. quickly set rice krispie treats...:lol:

The pieces look great all together.

Pat

*Violet*
02-12-2007, 12:16 PM
piper, that turned out wonderfully !! ... i'm sorry it didn't get into that collage ... i assure you though, it *will* get into the next one ... and there *will* be another ... there were so many submitted so far that i thing it'll take two separate collages to display them in the end ... i can't wait to see more ... julie >:3, you said it well ... i say ditto to your comments ... (must get started on mine !!!) ...

pequan
02-12-2007, 04:00 PM
thanks so much Violet, great job.............
GREAT JOB everyone

calice
02-12-2007, 08:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2007/92716-iced_tea_4.jpg
Everyone's color was inspiring, so, I reworked mine. Still muted but a little more color:) Calice

Piper Ballou
02-12-2007, 09:51 PM
calice, your color is wonderful. wasn't this a fun project?

I wish I could be looser in my paintings, I tend to paint tight, maybe next month I will only give myself a set time and try to finish it and not paint every single detail.
piper

Bhavana Vijay
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Calice I like your changes but I really liked your first version too.:thumbsup:

Cindy234
02-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Roberto,
Nice job on the lemon slice! Looks so juicy! I've got to try this one!

Pat Isaac
02-13-2007, 07:55 AM
The changes are nice Calice. This has such a nice softness to it. Hope to finish mine next week. There is still time.

Pat

scall0way
02-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Wow, what a thread! Bhavana, I love this image. No wonder you have had so many takers this month. I have not painted a thing since my art class ended two months ago - but I swear I will do this one. :D

In fact, I keep in my desk at work some scraps of Canson and a set of 12 Conté pastel pencils so I can practice on my lunch hour - but I almost never do! However I was so determine to contribute *something* to this thread that I actually pulled out the pencils and paper on my lunch hour today.

So it is only 15 minutes worth of work - all I had time for! But if I can get the picture home on the bus without destroying it I'll try to upload it tonight so I can I least say I did something this month. I see the ellipse is wonky, even though I redid it several times. But I struggle with ellipses.

I hope to do a more formal portait before the month is out. :) And Bhavana, I hope we will see *your* interpretation of this as well. I know it will be stunning.

sparkling
02-13-2007, 03:46 PM
:wave:Hi to everybody, my name is Silvia and I am new to this forum.
When I saw this beautiful image Bhavana posted I decided to take part in this month's challenge. (Thank you Bhavana, your photo is so beautiful and inspiring!)
I played a little bit with the colors trying to intensify them. I don't know if I succeeded, at least it was lots of fun doing it :).
However, this is only my second painting with oilpastels and I still face some troubles working out small details with them (what's the secret?), so please be patient with me...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2007/97229-firstpost.jpg

:)Silvia

LJW
02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Silvia, this is a very nice second oil pastel. Great colours - rich contrasts. I use Walnut Hollow oil pencils or soft pastel pencils for details. Join us in the Oil Pastel subforum for more information. Jane

Bhavana Vijay
02-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi Cindy!! :wave: Great to know you will be joining us.:)

Hey Debbie!:D I am thrilled that you like the image. Wow, so you got to work on it at work? Thats great. Do upload it, cant wait to see it! I just finished drawing mine..it took soooo long. I still dont know if the ellipses look ok. They are so tough arent they. I wanted to follow Robertos directions but I was too lazy to read and digest all that so I just did it freehand. I have a feeling I might regret that!:lol: These mistakes are usually so apparent once you've finished the whole painting.

Sylivia, hi and welcome!:wave: Wow! I love your palette...so vibrant, rich and gorgeous! I really like the pinkish tones on the rim of the glass.:clap:

Pat Isaac
02-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Welcome, Sylvia. This is a great second oil pastel. I love your rich colors and I also use oil pencils for detail and also blending tools.

Pat

Kim Bolick
02-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Sylvia, great to have you! I love your intense colors. I agree with Jane. Pencils are great for detailing.
Kim

binkie
02-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Julie, thanks for the compliment.

Calice, I like the colors you added but have to say I also liked the first rendition.

Debbie, I'm looking forward to seeing your glass this evening.

Silvia, welcome!! I love the intensity of your colors. Since that's only your second painting with O pastels, I am really looking forward to future paintings.

Bhavana, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the painting. I just loved the cup of tea you did previously. It was wonderful.

binkie

pequan
02-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Sylvia; wow what a gorgeous rendition.
Bhavana: I enjoyed this project to the fullest.... thanks again.

calice
02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Sylvia, your colors draw me in and are so pleasing to look at. Great job!
Calice

wabbitt
02-14-2007, 03:00 AM
Silvia/sparkling - fantastic colors you used. I like it like that. Welcome to wetcanvas, too.

Calice - I really did like your first and your second is much easier to see on my monitor.

Hmm, that must have been the first wave. I thought there'd be more to comment on. ;)

scall0way
02-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Okay, I was determined to get *something* in on this thread as I love the image so. The following is the one I said I did yesterday on my lunch hour, so I had trouble with the ellipse! This is 15 minutes worth of work on a 5x7 piece of Canson light gray (smooth side) using my dozen conté pastel pencils. I still hope to get to a *real* painting of this one!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/62165-Tea_leaves-1.JPG

Pat Isaac
02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
15 minutes???....Wow....Love the rich colors.

Pat

Bhavana Vijay
02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow Debbie, its beautiful! 15 mins...thats just amazing! Those colours are gorgeous and because you've changed the bottom part of the glass a bit there seems to be some sense of movement. Love it!:clap:

sparkling
02-14-2007, 02:37 PM
First of all please let me thank you all, Jane, Bhavana, Pat, Kim, binkie, Linda, Calice and Julie, for your encouraging and inspiring comments :) .
Jane, Pat and Kim - thank you also for the advice, so I'm definitely going to try pencils!
Today I spent some time reading threads in the oil pastel forum... wow :eek:, so much information at once... I still have to sort things in my head...
Meanwhile I will just sit back and enjoy your wonderful drawings/paintings. All of them look so beautiful and interesting in their own special way!

:) Silvia

jshelby
02-14-2007, 03:02 PM
The paintings of the photo are amazing. What an inspiring photo!! Thanks. Here is my try. It is done on Wallis with all kinds of soft pastels.

Jan

Pat Isaac
02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
What wonderful rich color....fantastic.

Pat

hpept
02-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Very good Jan. Up to now, this is the entry which shows more character in my opinion.

binkie
02-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow Debbie, that's fabulous for 15 minutes!

Jan, very nice deep rich colors.

binkie

scall0way
02-14-2007, 07:52 PM
OK, my boss let me leave work early today, and I decided to use the extra time to PAINT! (after shoveling snow, :lol:)

So of course I had to try this image again. I'd printed a copy of the photo at work before I left. I got to spend a little more than 15 minutes this time. This is about 45 minutes instead! Done on gray Art Spectrum 9x12 with a variety of pastels, mostly NuPastel.

This is at the "Hmm, gotta step back and thing about it for a while" stage. I think I may need to work on a few things after pondering, but will post what I have so far.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/62165-tea_leaves_2.JPG

Kim Bolick
02-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Jan, I love your painting. It does have a lot of character, and it's very alive!
Debbie, I wish I could work as quickly as you! I was amazed at the 15 min. version, but I am equally amazed at what you've done in 45 mins. It took me at least 30 minutes just to do my sketch on this one!
Kim

Bhavana Vijay
02-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi Jane!:wave: Lovely painting. I like the pinks you've used on the glass and the greens around the lemon. It is wonderfully juicy looking. :clap:

Debbie! Yay...two paintings from you.:D Such a vibrant painting...Love it! Just 45 mins? Seriously wow. I like how your orange relection on the glass looks so smooth...I couldnt do that.

Heres mine and I took a lot longer than 45 mins!:lol:

It is a little scary to post this late...after all these wonderful paintings...C and Cs are of course welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/70937-tea500.jpg

I forgot to add...its 11 x 14 on Wallis

Eirl
02-15-2007, 06:34 AM
Bhavana one word..........WOW!

scall0way
02-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow Bhavana. I knew I would love it. Your lemon is fantastic and I love your bubbles. Very nice job. I do love this image. The month is only half over. I hope more people do it!

calice
02-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Jan, I like the blue undertone! Debbie, your lemon looks really juicy. Maybe the leaves could use more definition to be consistent with the lemon.
Bhavana, yours looks so alive and full of motion. Maybe the orange reflection on the glass would look more real if it was a solid orange, not lines. They are all beautiful!
Calice

Pat Isaac
02-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Debbie and Bhavana, your pieces are wonderful....45 min. Debbie? wow

I love the richness of color in your piece Bhavana.

Mine is half done and I hope to get in under the wire....yet again...

Pat

redclare
02-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Hello :wave:
I have just spent the last 20 minutes looking at all the glorious work posted in this thread -- it's just amazing!!
This is a great image Bhavana, and it's a thrill to see all the different interpretations. Very inspiring! (and a little intimidating too :rolleyes: )..
I give this thread 5 stars!

MSusie
02-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have to agree whole heartedly with Rebecca ... all the work posted has been wonderful and such terrific interpretations! The color is amazing. I've done my sketch and now I've really got to get busy. Such great inspiration! Bhavana your photo is great ... are you sure your not a photographer at heart ? Just kidding! Your work is a real treat! Thanks for your pix.

Marie

Kim Bolick
02-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Bhavana, your painting is beautiful! I bet if you smudge the orange reflection with your finger a bit it would soften it. The leaves are amazing! I didn't have the patience to show all the detail.
Kim

jshelby
02-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Pat, Calice, Kim, Binkie and Maceio thank you so very much for your kind remarks. As a new member of WC, it's always hard to put a painting up with all these gorgeos paintings. Bhavana, your's is just beautiful. I agree with Kim, I don't have the patience to show the detail either. Yours is beautiful. Debbie, love your new painting. It is definitely glass.

Thanks,
Jan

binkie
02-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Wow says it all for Debbie and Bhavana. I love the rich, vibrant colors in both paintings.

binkie

Bhavana Vijay
02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Eirl, Debbie, Calice, Pat, Rebecca, Marie, Kim, Jan and Binkie thank you!

I played around with it a little more. Tried smudging the orange and created mud so I scumbled a little turquoise over it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/70937-tea500.jpg

Pat and Marie cant wait to see your paintings. Rebecca, you will be giving this a shot I hope.:)

I am really thrilled you all like the picture and that so many of you are taking part. I hope many more will, as Debbie says we do have 2 more weeks to go.

binkie
02-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Bhavana,

The second painting is gorgeous, but the first one was already gorgeous.

binkie

Usha
02-16-2007, 06:16 PM
I like both your paintings Bhavana, like the bright colors and the lemon looks so natural. You are too good in photography too! :clap::clap:

Usha

tyree
02-16-2007, 06:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/65063-tea_in_ops.jpg hi everyone!!! im fairly new to using op's...but i wanted to try this terrific photo in them..i use dimestore op's and i dont have the oil pencils to make defining line..so its a wee abstract...i am so amazed at all the wonderful work ive seen in this thread..truly good...your c and c's are always welcomed...tyree:)

AngelaF
02-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Debbie, your fifteen minute work is very good and your forty-five minute work is GRREAT. Your background is uniquely soft and the glass is realistic.

Bhavana, your work has very, very nice colors and is very realistic. Thank-you for this great photo, I worked about three hours todayd on an OP painting of it and hope to post after about another hour.

Julie, your OP is wonderful -- the colors are very expressive, I like it a great deal. I can't believe you did it on bristol.

Tyree, you work is very well done for having a limited palette, I look forward to seeing more of your work and I hope you try some better OP's sometime, too.

AngelaF
02-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Very nice, Silvia, you use of color is unique and interesting. I like your painting and look forward to seeing more of your OP's.

Thanks Violet for doing that great composite.

I have missed several postings, just want to say it is great fun seeing everyone's work. I especially like the blue backgrounds. Many very well done interpretations of this photograph.

LJW
02-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Once again there so many great paintings I can't keep up - Piper, Jan, Bhavana, Debbie and Tyree. Love the various colours being introduced. Tyree, good work with cheap OPs - perhaps you should splurge on a few Senneliers or Holbeins. Jane

tyree
02-16-2007, 10:55 PM
many thanks angela and jane..for kind comments and encouragement..i have a wish list that im working on for blick...op's are on it!!...:wink2: tyree

binkie
02-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Tyree, Good job! Those cheap oil pastels are difficult to work with ... impossible for me.

binkie

tyree
02-17-2007, 03:58 PM
thank you binkie!!...i guess the more expensive op's really make a big difference?? tyree:wave:

Bhavana Vijay
02-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Tyree and welcome!:) Very nice painting, love the colors you have used. Your crop is really effective too.:thumbsup:

Binkie, Usha and Jane thank you.:)

AngelaF
02-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi Tyree -- I used cheapies for my first. But after only about three or four more pieces with Senneliers -- I hate the cheapies. Caron D Arche's are the cheapest good ones. Dakota pastels have a sampler of the best: Caraon D arches, Senneliers, Holbeins or Cra Pas Expressionists. Also the type of paper you use with cheapies or others can make a big difference. Most OP artists seem to like sanded papers, but a texture paper at any rate.

Pat Isaac
02-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Welcome, Tyree and what a great piece you did with the cheapos. Not sure I could carry it off as well.

Pat

Cindy234
02-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Y'all! Beautiful pictures! Don't know how mine is going to scan in. Against my better judgment, i used black in the end to get some of the darker values, and my scanner really picked that up. Oh well, lesson learned. Here it is:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2007/101104-cindy_cup_tea014.jpg

Cindy234
02-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Oops, I used Conte pastel pencils on Canson charcoal paper.

Sunflwr1
02-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks Bhavana, for such an inspirational yet intimidating piece! I was intrigued when I first saw it, but thought no way can I do that. After watching everyone else put up their wonderful paintings I finally decided to get off the fence and join in. I've been fiddlin' with it all weekend and probably will some more, but decided to upload it. It was quite a challenge... think I may try to do it again someday again. The ellipse almost drove me over the edge!:lol: Definitely need to work on my drawing skills, but I'm glad I gave it a try!

Congrats to all that gave this challenge a try!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Marcia

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2007/30113-tea-2r.jpg

Arches CP 140# WC paper, Nupastels, Giraults, and Terry Ludwigs.

binkie
02-19-2007, 01:26 AM
Cindy, I'm glad you posted your work and joined us. You did a good job. I especially like your lemon.

Marcia, So glad you got off the fence. Your piece is very nice. Know how you feel about the ellipse. I've been practicing them every day to try to improve.

binkie

Pat Isaac
02-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Nice soft rendering, Marcia and Cindy, I also like your lemon.

Pat

Bhavana Vijay
02-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi Cindy! Glad you took part.I really like your vibrant leaves and lemon...they look wonderful.
Hey Marcia, I love your painting. The colours are beautiful and I think your ellipse looks fine. There is a lot of texture in your work which I like very much.

Sunflwr1
02-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi binkie, Pat, and Bhavana,

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement! I really appreciate that!

I've been practicing them every day to try to improve.

Good idea binkie! I find that if I'm just foolin' around, perhaps at work and take a quick few minutes for a sketch I do much better. As soon as I've decided to do a painting for real, I just tense up!:eek: Does this happen to anyone else?

Thanks again!
Marcia

sundiver
02-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Beautiful, wonderful work, everyone!
I started mine weeks ago, then got a nasty flu, and now I can't find the thing... half-finished, somewhere.....

wabbitt
02-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks all, for your comments.

Debbie C - Wow for 15 min sketch you got your colors worked out and it really shows in your finished work.

Jan - beautiful work. I like the interesting background.

bhavana - it's gorgeous! All very well done - liquid highlights, leaves, even the rind on the lemon.

tyree - despite the quality of your materials, your skills shine through brightly. I don't believe that more expensive OP make a great difference, just that you have a wider selection of colors for your pallette. Pentels & Portfolios are on the cheap end of the OP scale, and I love them. Still have to use tools to blend, though. The really cheap stuff is sticky or over waxy, unblendable, and hard to transfer pigment to the paper.

Cindy - well done! You've got the back side of the glass making the transparency believable. Great job with the liquid highlights.

Marcia - very cool. I like the texture of the paper showing through.

Wendy - lol, can't wait to see yours. There's still time!

scall0way
02-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Tyree, do you enjoy the OPs? Your painting is a bit abstract but that's part of what is fun about it! Quite impressionistic looking really, and I love impressionism.

Bhavana I do love what you did with the glass, the slightly smudged and scumbled orange looks very good. I fiddled with my picture a bit too. I decided the leaves needed a few water droplets on them, though not sure how successfully they turned out - but this is how it looks now. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2007/62165-Tea-leaves-Four.jpg

Cindy234
02-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi Y'all! Thanks for the nice comments. I've had time to go back and look @ some of these:

Debbie C.- you got the tea really looking like liquid- hard to do, I think! good bubbles!

Jan- Nice job, excellent work on the lemon!

Bhavana- Very liquid-y!! And you've got those bubbles down very well.

Tyree- The tiny bubbles are great!

Marcia- Nice, soft picture. Your colors work well.

Can-t wait for the next challenge!

Cindy234
02-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi Debbie C., You snuck in under the wire! Yes, the leaves look nice and wet now!

Pat Isaac
02-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, Debbie c, the water drops on the leaves work.

Pat

tyree
02-20-2007, 09:25 PM
thanks everyone for kind comments and again encouragement..and yes debbie c. i do enjoy the op's..my work always looks abstract or impressionistic..i think its because i have stigmatism:lol: :p everyones work is so different..how neat...now i ll look forward to the next challenge...tyree:wave:

AngelaF
02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Cindy, like how you did the lemon and the reflection on the water near it -- this came out very realistic without being overworked (like mine).

Marcia -- I like the texture and effect the paper gave your piece. I think this is the first soft pastel I have seen on this paper. Very nice.

Debbie -- your colors are wonderful, wondereful, wonderful.

Here is my addition -- Oil pastel on elephant colorfix, 9by12. C&C welcome. I enjoyed this project very much.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2007/84584-Refresing_Drink_72pp.jpg

Pat Isaac
02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
This is just great, Angela. I love your strong color and the leaf texture. It is a great project!

Pat

Cindy234
02-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey, Angela, Your leaves are great! I had trouble w that texture. Your liquid is very clear, like you can see thru it. Nice job!

binkie
02-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Debbie C. You did a very good job "fiddling." :)

Marcia, I used to tense up too. Finally I decided that I'll do the best I can with whatever project I'm working on and if it doesn't turn out right, I think of it as a learning experience and move on to the next painting.

Angela, Very nice! Your colors just pop off the page. I really like your paper selection and the colors you used for the background too.

binkie

Bhavana Vijay
02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Debbie...wow...love the enhancements you've made. I really love the pinks that you have scumbled on the background.

Angela, your painting is lovely. I love the texture of your background and your colors are beautiful. So glad you enjoyed this project.:)

AngelaF
02-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Thank you so much Pat, Cindy and binkie -- you all are making me feel like I am floating on air. Thank you so much for the generous comments.

AngelaF
02-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Thank you Bhavana. Thank you again for this great photo, it is art itself -- and the project really was fun.

LJW
02-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Another terrific selection of paintings. Cindy, great lemony colours. Marcia, your muted colour scheme and soft textures are wonderful. Debbie, what a colourful background and strong rendering. Angela, great job with the OPs - love your colours and the way you rendered the leaves. Jane

*Violet*
02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
it's still not the end of the month so i'm going to sneak one in !! ... :p .... not the large one i still want to do but this one which will do double duty .... my contribution in an atc size ... 2.5" x 3.5" with carbothelo pencils on 140 lb watercolour paper ......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2007/46454-lemon_mint_tea_sm.jpg

t-sue
02-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Tyree... well done! Lord only knows what you'll be able to do with some Senneliers!!!

Cindy... Well done... and on charcoal paper... WOW!!

Marcia... so lovely and soft!!!

Debbie... very rich and intense!

Angela... very nice indeed! Very clean and crisp!

Violet... this is a lovely piece! You just blow my mind getting that fine detail on such a small painting!!!

Pat Isaac
02-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Violet, this is lovely and it is sooooo tiny! I still have 3 days.

Pat

binkie
02-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Violet,

Very nice! How do you like that brand of pastel pencils?

binkie

*Violet*
02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
thank you, binkie ! ... i like the carbothelos a lot ... enough to have purchased a set of 60 of 'em ... they're not too hard or too soft to me so apply somewhat like coloured pencils as opposed to my derwents, which i also like but are softer and apply more like soft pastels ... i'm looking forward to doing a piece with my new oil pencils ... Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor Premium Oil-Based Colored Pencils which i got from dick blick's ... they were described as such: It's like having a creamy crayon in a pencil. Offering the ultimate control on paper, these premium oil-based colored pencils lay down smoothly with no wax build-up. They're easily blended and overlayed for limitless hues and formulated with the highest standards of lightfastness. ... and they *did* feel nice when i tested 'em !!

Bhavana Vijay
02-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Sorry, I didnt check my messages and saw this only today!
Wow Violet how did you do such a detailed painting in such a small size!!!:clap: Great job! Love the colours and the great looking lemon!

February is almost over...time sure flies!! Only a few more days to sneak a painting in!!:D

Pat Isaac
02-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Okay, I'm sneaking mine in.
oil pastel on blue colorfix about 7 x 9

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2007/35760-Feb.jpg

Pat

Bhavana Vijay
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Its gorgeous Pat!!! Awesome job! :clap: :clap: The crop is wonderful, the colours are so vivid and exciting and wow your ellipse is perfect!! Superb job!

Pat Isaac
02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Bhavana. I can't tell you how many times I drew and changed that ellipse....they are my bane.

Pat

*Violet*
02-27-2007, 05:35 PM
i don't know if i'll get a large one done so i'll just post these ... the first group, and the 2nd group ... together ... !! ... well done everyone !!!! ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2007/46454-02_07_pastel_group_sm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2007/46454-02_07_pastel_group_2sm.jpg
(... hope i didn't miss anyone's ...)

Pat Isaac
02-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Wow!!! Thanks, Violet.

Pat

hpept
02-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Top Class work Pat! I was waiting for you entry, and you didn't disappoint me. Wonderful, creamy, rich tones and those bubbles... ready to pop!

Sunflwr1
02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh how cool, Violet! Thanks so much... fun to see them all together!

And THANK YOU Bhavana. This has been a wonderful project. I'm so glad I decided to join in. It's amazing... one picture, yet no 2 were exactly alike. Everyone has their own wonderfully unique style! We all deserve a hand!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hope to see everyone in the March Pastel Strokes!

LJW
02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Violet, thanks so much for creating the slide show and good work on such a small painting. Pat, wonderfully strong colours and the bubbles are amazing. Jane

johndill01
02-27-2007, 08:38 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap: What a great group of artists. Awesome work all.:clap::clap:

Violet, thanks much for this grouping.:clap::clap::thumbsup:

John

t-sue
02-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Pat, that's is simply exquisite!!! Color, form, crop.... just everything!!! :clap:

Thanks for the composite, Violet!!! :thumbsup: That's wonderful! :D

hopalong
02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Violet thanks so much for the slide show! Great job! I love seeing everyone's work. I did not have a chance to do this one but maybe next month!

calice
02-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Pat, I love your close-up and clarity. It is so helpful to see everyone's drawing in one place- this has been a lot of fun and educational!
Calice

Pat Isaac
02-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments and a big thank you to Bhavana for hosting this exciting subject.

Pat

Bhavana Vijay
02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
WOW, thanks Violet! It is so amazing to see all the paintings together. Everyone did such an awesome job..GREAT WORK everyone!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

I wanted to thank all of you for giving me the chance to host. Its been a fun month and has been so exciting to see all the wonderful work made from that one single photograph. Thank you for making it a huge success!!!:heart:

Donna, I am very excited to see next months picture!:D

AngelaF
02-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Nice, Pat. I like the colors very much. The crop is very interesting and makes the painting much more interesting.

binkie
03-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Oh Pat, it is absolutely stunning! I love the colors and clarity. Excellent work.

Thanks Violet, it's great to be able to see all the efforts on one page.

Super job everyone!!!!

Thank you again, Bhavana for hosting this month!!!!!

binkie

MSusie
03-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Bhavana,
The turq. worked very well. Had to stop work on my version ... was in an auto accident that left my left wrist fractured and a bone in that hand broken. My right arm and wrist were badly bruised. Anyway I'll be back to work painting shortly and will finish my version and post. Better late than never. God was, as usual

Everyone did such a great job on the Feb. Pastel Strokes I can't wait to see the March one.

Marie

Bhavana Vijay
03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
OMG Marie, I am so glad you are alright! Really sorry to hear about your fractures. I hope you are healing well. It must have been so scary!
Please take your time to start painting again, make sure your wrist is perfectly normal before you start using it, tho painting is good therapy.

The March pastel strokes has already started, Donna has posted a beautiful picture in the Pastel Talk forum.

Please do take care.:heart:

Jo Castillo
03-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Marie,
Sorry about your accident, hope to see your work continue, soon.
Jo

MSusie
03-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Thank you Bhavana and Jo. I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement. It was rather scarey!
Marie

elftwitchell
05-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Really, REALLY NICE! if this is what we start with, I can't wait to see what else you (forumn as a whole) does!:thumbsup:
Elftwitchell