PDA

View Full Version : A Portfolio on a CD

Mike Thompson
01-31-2007, 12:55 PM
This is not strictly "Digital Art" however posters who are digital artists may be able to answer my question.
I'm putting images of my paintings on a CD (maybe DVD) so as to send to galleries.
I chose to copy a part of my web site onto the CD. My question is "How does the person in the gallery open the portfolio?"
Currently they have to insert the CD, open it in Windows and double click on "index.html". This is kinda crude. It would be nice if the Portfolio could open itself.
Can any of you Digital Artists out there help me in this?

Chiers
01-31-2007, 02:29 PM
There are programs that will make your cd open automatically when inserted into the computer or dvd player. There are several but Pro Show Gold is one, Muvee producer is another. I don't use my Windows Movie Maker but I think it would have the make autorun feature too.

shalpin
01-31-2007, 02:33 PM
You can put an autorun.inf (http://autorun.moonvalley.com/autoruninf.htm), but that won't help if they've switched off autoplay (which can be irritating and has security implications) and of course deosn't help if they are using a Mac, which has a different mechanism (http://www.phdcc.com/shellrun/autorun.htm#macs).

Maybe the best thing is just leave the root directory is clear as possible and leave a file in there with an obvious name e.g. 'click me for gallery.html' - just make sure that if you rename your index.html to that, that you fix any links.

IMO it would be better to look at apps specific to the purpose than a dump of the website (I think you'll probably find a few if you google for them).

Mike Thompson
01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Thank you both. I have just downloaded AutorunPro.EXE and created an autorun.inf.
I was delighted to see my (html based) portfolio open automatically!

My machine is a PC with XP.

Does anyone know how to make the same CD work on an Apple?

shalpin
01-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Try the 2nd link in my earlier post - that has info for Macs. And remember, because autoplay is configured for you ... it may not be for others :)

madster
01-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Make sure you do not put paper labels on your CDs.
There are Inkjet printable CDs, which you should consider.

Paper labels sometimes come off at inoportune moments, and jam a PC's CD reader.
Needless to say, this does not cause warm, fuzzy feelings for the provider of the CD...
Personal experience being on both sides of that situation...

~M

cedarartworld
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Well, It would have been good if you could turn it into a video presentation, with autoplay capability.

Mike Thompson
02-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Video presentation. Good idea - it might include me introducing some of my work.
However it would have to be done professionally as home videos look dumb.

If by "video presentation" you mean an automatic slide show then I don't agree as its better to have the user entirely in control. The advantage of html is that the links are live and some point out of the cd into the internet.