PDA

View Full Version : Red/Yellow/Blue/White pencils only! - Hot Peppers

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Robin asked me, awhile ago, to post this completed WIP - because ... I finished something! :clap: LOL It was completed (to my satisfaction) a month or 2 ago.

I have an on going love/fascination for working with only 3 colors + white. And those colors are: Red, Yellow and Blue

The image I used is a ref pic by mustcreate (em) from the RIL here at WC!. I changed the orientation of it though, as it was originally horizontal and I didn't like that.

Yes, I'm often a realist in CP - with my own interpretations - but I also do abstract works. Spilt-personality :p

Ok here's the particulars of this piece and the first stage.

Pencils: (only these 3 + white - NO black, no other colors)
Prismacolors/Karismacolors - Raspberry *, True Blue, Canary Yellow & White

*Please note, Raspberry in Prismas/Karismas is a lightfast red - it won't fade!
Often I see people using Process Red - I wouldn't, it is the least lightfast color in the pack and will fade like crazy in no time at all. I learned the hard way - my first apple using the R/Y/B technique has faded horribly. :(

Paper:
Stonehenge

Size 7"h x 5"w approx.

Stage 1: This is just the beginnings, mostly just the blue layer.
First the full image and a close up...not much to see but still... (excuse the crappy scans :rolleyes: )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/22382-peps_on_stonehenge_med.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/22382-peps_close_stonehenge.jpg

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Stage 2 - Almost finished the blue layer ... sort of still nit-picking this layer, because it has to be correct for the rest to work. And yes I did start the Red & Yellow in some areas to get a feel for where I'm headed ( that's how I work/think ).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/22382-Hot_peps_stonehenge_update1.jpg

Stage 3 - Red layers
I've put in all the blue layer and have begun the red with a few touches of the yellow layer. I thought I'd better stop and scan this, because at this point I start working in the yellow along with the red ( this is how I work, but that's not necessarily how anyone else might do this.)

After I'm satisfied with where I've taken the red & yellow layers, I'll go back and adjust the blue again and tweak things here and there adding white where I need it. The final layers end up being a repeat of blue/red/yellow but only in light, light layers.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/22382-hot-peps-web-red-phase.jpg

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 05:49 AM
Stage 4 - The final.
Warning: This is not a quick process - if you're looking for quick - don't try this. :cool:
BUT , if you want to get a feel for how colors mix in CP and learn about layering in CP with a modicum of money outlay, I highly recommend this technique.

Here it is. I think it's finished. There was some question on the flatness of the yellow peppers - but in the ref pic, I can tell you they are truly flat - I did my best *shrug*. The white highlights are not so blown out as you see in this scan - I just hate scanning... grrrrrrr :D :D :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/22382-HotPepsFinishedweb.jpg

C & C of course, always welcome!

~Judy

gordoiye
06-24-2005, 06:51 AM
oh judy, this is incredible! how many hours did it take to achieve this?
i'd love to see you expand on this even more and put it on the front page of the forum - i've voted excellent!

cheers,
gord

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 07:26 AM
oh judy, this is incredible! how many hours did it take to achieve this?
i'd love to see you expand on this even more and put it on the front page of the forum - i've voted excellent!

cheers,
gordThanks Gord much appreciated that you looked. :)

I didn't count the hours, to be honest (too scary...lol). I work so slow and am such a nit-picker when I work like this... let's say loads of un-human hours. :p I have to put things out of sight at certain stages, which is why it seems to many that I don't finish things - but I do... just have to give them a rest (and myself) at certain times. I think I'd be one of those van Eyck types that took forever to finish a painting if I worked in oils :eek: glazes, glazes and more glazes with fine haired brushes...lol

RobinZ
06-24-2005, 07:28 AM
WOW! What a stunning piece, and such a cool technique! I'm rating this one!!

callisto
06-24-2005, 07:37 AM
fantastic!

gordoiye
06-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks Gord much appreciated that you looked. :)
I think I'd be one of those van Eyck types that took forever to finish a painting if I worked in oils :eek: glazes, glazes and more glazes with fine haired brushes...lol

yeah, but then you'd have the king's court taking care of you, so life wouldn't be so bad...

g.

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 08:18 AM
yeah, but then you'd have the king's court taking care of you, so life wouldn't be so bad...

g. It was more like the church taking care of you, or weathly merchants in the case of van Eyck ... don't know if it was a good or bad thing...lol
Now I do have a Prince who takes care of me! :wink2: Have only sold a few pieces to private customers here in Holland.

btw, Gord, You know I was just thinking about your question of how many hours and my answer seemed flip to me (sorry). I bet I spent as many hours on this as you did on your bricks & flowers piece or the boat in the harbor. Well it certainly was more than just a few hours and it spand over several weeks. I can't work for long stretches because of an old 'potter's wrist' problem (carpel tunnel, but not THAT bad!).

Robin! See I did it! :D thanks for the compliment. I've tried the R/Y/B with your Big Bold idea - don't think it's working though - I've trashed all the first attempts. I can't help my nit-picky self... LOL

Thank you callisto! :)
~Judy

Rosa Weitzel
06-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Wow, this is so well done. Great picture and learning tool for us. Thank you for posting as a wip.

Rosa

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks Rosa.
When I gave some private lessons here, in CP - I had my students start with this technique. It seemed to help them understand the layering and the ability to mix colors in CP without all of them crying I was making them spend so much money.
I know it's a late in the day suggestion for you class ( because I know you don't need it), but maybe some of your students would like to try this?
:)

CAULFIELD
06-24-2005, 08:37 AM
yOUR RYB WORK ALWAYS FASCINATES ME. :)

When I gave some private lessons here, in CP - I had my students start with this technique. It seemed to help them understand the layering and the ability to mix colors in CP without all of them crying I was making them spend so much money.

I never thought about the $$ side of it - that is so true! I might start teaching drawing and drawing in color for highschool students (private lessons) do you think this would be too tough for that age group? I would only let the kids do color once I think they have a feel for values.

Nicole

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 08:59 AM
yOUR RYB WORK ALWAYS FASCINATES ME. :) Who's jumping on your keyboard again Nicole?! :p :D

I never thought about the $$ side of it - that is so true! I might start teaching drawing and drawing in color for highschool students (private lessons) do you think this would be too tough for that age group? I would only let the kids do color once I think they have a feel for values.

Nicole No, not too difficult, I think it would be perfect for any age, really.
I would keep the subject/object simple and would stay far away from human subjects - that's a bit more advanced when trying to achieve flesh tones with this technique (they could be easily discouraged and you don't want that). Fruits, veggies, bright colored objects/flowers, cars maybe.
Animals are probably also too tricky for someone not used to CP's...browns are not so easily achieved and take a lot of patience (not sure highschoolers are so inclined ... lol).

My students were pleasently surprised with their results with just the simple apple I gave them to do. I did give them a choice of a few other images to be fair to their artistic spirits :) - in the end though, they all chose the apple...LOL

Edit to add: Of course you can't expect a beginner's piece to look so perfect as say maybe yours would - but they'll learn a lot and you could be surprised!

RobinZ
06-24-2005, 09:11 AM
I think pears are great for beginners too, because their shape and colors are so varied. Even if you were TRYING for a certain shade of gold or green...it looks realistic no matter where you end up. Same for shape. As long as the bottom circle is bigger than the top one...it reads "pear"!

CAULFIELD
06-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the info Judy! I'll have to play around with the ryb myself. I'm excited now!

Lol Robin - I never thought of that. :D Do you think that is why we see so many pears.

Flame Lily
06-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Brilliant Judy! :clap: I love your technique and the results are incredible.

5 stars, rate, click:::click :D

Weezy
06-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Nicole are you asking about the eating pears or the walking around pears??? :evil: :wink2: :D

Weezy
06-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Judy this is an excellent thread! Thanks you so much for the explanation and progression shots. I really profitted by them a lot. Lovely work too. I love the look you get.

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks Liesl :)

I think pears are great for beginners too, because their shape and colors are so varied. Even if you were TRYING for a certain shade of gold or green...it looks realistic no matter where you end up. Same for shape. As long as the bottom circle is bigger than the top one...it reads "pear"!Yep! Pears are great too ( I had one somewhere, but can't find it now... :rolleyes: )

Orrrrrrrrr... these marbles! also done in R/Y/B ( I did use some Polychromos on this one mixed in with the Prismas - but still only r/y/b)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2005/22382-Marbles_-rybcircles-web.jpg

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks so much Louise.
═ apologize for not doing so many WIP's - I find stopping to scan my progression just throws me out of my rythmn (my excuse and I'm stickin' to it..lol)

ackkk look at that weird capital i ... haha foreign language keyboard... lol

Weezy
06-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Don't apologize...we all have time/style and work habits constraints. We just do appreciate the extra effort, and I for one am always ready to remark on the sharing nature of peole on this forum. That's what makes this place such a great teaching venue. Even those people who are quite expereinced find new ways to approach their work by reading these threads and viewing someone else's work habits. So thanks, Judy. I learned by your post, and you gave me food for thought.

joannd
06-24-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm rating this too. What a fascinating technique and the result is amazing!
JoAnn

Talimah
06-24-2005, 05:21 PM
The ryb method is how I was first taught to paint in oils and acrylics both. I am going to have to try it with cp because it taught me so much before. Thanks for the great teaching.

Julie

gordoiye
06-24-2005, 05:30 PM
It was more like the church taking care of you, or weathly merchants in the case of van Eyck ... don't know if it was a good or bad thing...lol
Now I do have a Prince who takes care of me! :wink2: Have only sold a few pieces to private customers here in Holland.

btw, Gord, You know I was just thinking about your question of how many hours and my answer seemed flip to me (sorry). I bet I spent as many hours on this as you did on your bricks & flowers piece or the boat in the harbor. Well it certainly was more than just a few hours and it spand over several weeks. I can't work for long stretches because of an old 'potter's wrist' problem (carpel tunnel, but not THAT bad!).

~Judy

yes you're right, i think it was a wealthy statesman who was taking care of van eyck - i know he had a lot of power regardless... those hours DO add up don't they??! i'm almost embarassed to think of how many it took for my bricks episode; with the drawing/drafting, grisaille underpainting and all the roadmapping and detail work, not even to mention the multiple layering, i would say somewhere around 60-70 spread out over 2 or 3 months... i was so sick of it at the time, but now i have it in a nice mat and frame and it looks great - almost like i never did it at all...

a note on carpal tunnel: when i first started sketching in graphite, i noted from different books that you're supposed to make strokes from THE ELBOW, not from the wrist... it's awkward, but you can buy a foam wrist support like typists use, to correct your posture... if you're spending that much time "colouring", you should at least be ergonomic about it....

cheers,
gord

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Gord Thanks for the tip on the carpal tunnel. It doesn't always bother me, but I used to be a full-time potter and once in awhile the wrist will lock up on me... uhmm.. not fun. I'll look into that foam wrist wrap. I switched my mouse to a thumb track ball type - less stress on my middle finger - very odd where sometimes the pain would come into my wrist - now I get "mouse thumb" if I work too long in a graphics program (but freelance job calls for that sometimes ...*sigh*).

And it's funny in a weird way,isn't it?- like what you say about once you spend so many hours sometimes slaving on a piece and then it's suddenly done and seems like nothing! I've had that feeling too.

Thanks Julie! I hope it can help you. You've already shown you've got the stuff to do CP. :)

gordoiye
06-24-2005, 06:11 PM
judy: what's funny is the pains that we complain about in this day and age - i've been reading a lot of dickens' works lately, so to compare what we go through with what they went through, a sore wrist or gimpy knee is not much to complain about ;)

and don't you get a weird, empty feeling when you're finishing a piece sometimes??? like you don't want it to end?

cheers,
gord

BKWYRM
06-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Judy, thank you so very much for sharing your work with us. These pieces are lovely. I'm rating this thread as being very helpful for learning from. When you say RYB, can you specifically name the pencils you use? Do you use Prismas or another brand?

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 08:38 PM
and don't you get a weird, empty feeling when you're finishing a piece sometimes??? like you don't want it to end? Oddly enough, yes! but not when you're at that "this will never end stage" eh? lol

Judy, thank you so very much for sharing your work with us. These pieces are lovely. I'm rating this thread as being very helpful for learning from. When you say RYB, can you specifically name the pencils you use? Do you use Prismas or another brand? You're most welcome Kathy! and thanks :)

Ok the peppers were done exclusively with Prismas/Karismas - I do honestly think these pencils produce the best results with this technique, because perhaps they are a bit more translucent than other brands ( all that wax you know...lol)

But yes, I have and do use other brands.

So here the R/Y/B pencils I use in Prismas/Karismas and their equivilents in some other brands I've used.

Prisma/Karisma:
Red: Raspberry lightfast! means it won't fade (you could use Magenta, but again, it is not very lightfast in this brand of pencil and stay away from Process Red!)

Blue: True Blue don't try any other blue - this is the only one you should use in an R/Y/B piece.

Yellow: Canary Yellow ( I use this almost exclusively - but you can also use Lemon Yellow if you want cooler tones. Lemon yellow is a cool yellow, Canary is warm)

White: White! I find the Prisma white to work best among all the brands of whites I have, and it will work with the other brands too.

Faber-Castell Polychromos:
Red: Magenta #9201-135 ( this has a 3 star lightfast rating which is excellent) Don't try to use any other red - they won't give you the right mix when going for a say a purple - this Magenta seems to be just about right for good mixes - IMO

Blue: Pthalo Blue #9201-110 ( don't use any other blue - this is as close to the Prisma True Blue as you can possibly get - almost identical)

Yellow: Cadmium Yellow #9201- 107 ( this is almost identical to Canary Yellow - sorry I haven't tested the cooler yellows in the Polys.. on my 'to do list'..lol)

White: well I don't like the Polychromos white for this technique - doesn't blend out well so I use the Prisma white without any problems.

Van Goghs

Red: Burnt Carmine #323 ( this is very close to the Poly's Magenta and the Prisma Raspberry and it has a 3 star lightfast rating. Again, don't use another red - the object of this technique is to get a good mix with your blue for a purple and a good mix with your yellow for an orange. This color seems to do the trick in the Van Goghs - IMO.)

Blue: Azure Blue # 526 (this is the closest to Prisma True Blue)

Yellow: Perm. Yellow Light #283 ( this is the closest to Canary Yellow although it does already have a wee bit of white in it - hence the name 'light"-but it works fine - IMO)

White: OK, hate to say this but, the Van Gogh white is totally awful! Way too hard and doesn't mix in well - IMO (they'll run me out of Holland now...lol)

All of the above brands can be used in conjunction with the others ( no matter if theř are oil based pencils or wax based pencils) - but I'd say start with the Prismas/Karismas if you've never ever done an R/Y/B piece - they just mix better.

Now I do have a few Pablo's - haven't tested them yet, although I have used the White pencil some - still not a Prisma white, but works better than the Polychromos white.

I also have some Lyra's and some Bruynzeels. Haven't used the Lyra's in this technique yet ( just got them recently) and well the Bruynzeels seem to be rather expensive on your side of the pond (and the Bruynzeel full-colors are discontinued), so I don't think that's so important which to use. I don't use them that much with this technique anyway.

I'll update this when I do something with the Lyra's.
I know I am weird, but half the fun/challenge for me is figuring out which pencil is as close an equivilent in another brand... :rolleyes: :D

I hope that's clear.
If you have any questions, just holler! I can hear you from here :D :p :cool:

~Judy

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Oh - by now in these R/Y/B pieces I do, I use a mix of all the brands sometimes. I've gotten used to feeling when I need one brand's color over (or under as the case may be) another.

However, I tend to use the Poychromos as underlayers.

Katherine T
06-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Judy - that's ace information about the brands - this is such a useful thread, well worth it's rating.

Re your thumb - have you tried a wrist splint? I have to use one when my tenusinovitis btewen my forefinger and middle finger plays up. The splint I use has a shaped metal insert which is shaped to fit in the palm of my hand which then keeps my palm rigid from my wrist to my the base of my fingers and I can only then move the tops of my fingers. They're not easy to find but could be well worth trying out just to see if they help. If you want to know what it looks like I can get a photo done of mine.

pinkrybns
06-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Ok...can you please PM me the photo of the wrist splint?

And Thanks Katherine!

I'm off to bed - finally cooled down here some... hottest week of June in 30 years here in Holland.. and no air-co...wahhhhh!!!

Katherine T
06-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I'll have to take photos tomorrow morning. I'll do it so you can see the splint disassembled and also what it looks like when on.

We had the rain tonight (they've had flash floods in the west country) - my bet is you'll get it tomorrow - but it doesn't get any cooler!

BKWYRM
06-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Judy, Judy, Judy! Thank you so much for all that marvelous detail. And here I thought you were talking about Process Red. I'm so glad I asked! Now I think I'm going to try the RYB thing. If one just did RYB pencils, one could afford to have them in every single brand!

Meisie
06-25-2005, 02:34 AM
You must be the queen of RYB!!!

and those marbles.....WWWHAAAAAAAAA, 3 colors AND circles and they look stunning! I'm going to hide my marbles NOW......lol

Meisie

Katherine T
06-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Judy - would you please, please, please transfer your bit about the brands and different names of the different red, blue, yellow and white pencils into the Colour Recipe Book thread with a link back to this thread - it would be really good if we can provide another way of people accessing this excellent hread and learning more about "the way of the coloured pencil trinity" - the important thing here being that people need to understand which colours work best when trying this out.

Thanks

pinkrybns
06-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Judy - would you please, please, please transfer your bit about the brands and different names of the different red, blue, yellow and white pencils into the Colour Recipe Book thread with a link back to this thread - it would be really good if we can provide another way of people accessing this excellent hread and learning more about "the way of the coloured pencil trinity" - the important thing here being that people need to understand which colours work best when trying this out.Hmmm... is there chocolate in it for me if I do? ;) :evil: :D

Yes, of course I will do it. :)

Thanks for asking.
Judy

P.S. send me that pic of the wrist wraps in a PM whenever you can, I'm very curious. Woke up with a stiff wrist this morning. Please PM it, as I would rather this thread not become a hospital zone... :D :) :)

Katherine T
06-25-2005, 07:04 AM
P.S. send me that pic of the wrist wraps in a PM whenever you can, I'm very curious. Woke up with a stiff wrist this morning. Please PM it, as I would rather this thread not become a hospital zone... :D :) :) I was very much inclined to the same way of thinking - but I think I'll pop it in the OTL as I think there are some other people who suffer from carpal tunnel type problems.

I want to do a clean up on my compact flash card before I take the photos - there's 200 odd images which have not yet been deleted and they want to download themselves every time I take a new piccie!!!

pinkrybns
06-25-2005, 07:17 AM
I was very much inclined to the same way of thinking - but I think I'll pop it in the OTL as I think there are some other people who suffer from carpal tunnel type problems. Cross post it into the Tips thread too. Post the same thing as you will do in the OTL - not just a link. Good idea, you think?

Katherine T
06-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Excellent idea - will do!

Flame Lily
06-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Thank you for the excellent information Judy! :clap: [Queen of RYB! I like that - I agree] :D

RobinZ
06-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Isn't there a thread in the library about carpal tunnel? I think Stalks is the author. I mean...can it go in that thread too?

pinkrybns
06-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Isn't there a thread in the library about carpal tunnel? I think Stalks is the author. I mean...can it go in that thread too?Yeah sure. I wasn't aware of that thread, but sure, tag it on to that one too. Makes no difference to me. (I'm so easy going ;) )

gordoiye
06-25-2005, 12:20 PM
man, i can hardly keep up to the great posts this week! thanks all for this great info...

question: does anyone know the lightfastness of all the prismas?

judy, you're right the van gogh white isn't so hot - prisma rules for sure with whites... i hope your pencils don't melt with the heat!!

cheer,s
gord

pinkrybns
06-25-2005, 12:43 PM
question: does anyone know the lightfastness of all the prismas? If you become a member of the CPSA (colored pencil society of america) you can get a list of the Prismacolor's lightfast ratings. I am not sure, but perhaps you can also get this list by joining the UKCPS.

Other than that, it's pretty much dig (I mean charm..lol) the info out of someone who has the list. (I don't have the list...) Don't know why Prisma doesn't include this info (well yes I do know why and that's because if they told you how many were NOT lightfast you wouldn't buy them .. like MOST if not all the pinks and all the deco colors! oh yeah, no lie.)

All the other brands I currently use with this technique, (Polychromos & Van Gogh), have ratings on their boxes (or on an insert color list in the box) and the rating is on the pencils ( the little star * shapes next to the numbers on the pencils - 3* means excellent/tops!) This is also why Polychromos & Van Goghs have a limited color range.

judy, you're right the van gogh white isn't so hot - prisma rules for sure with whites... i hope your pencils don't melt with the heatMuch cooler today, we had a terrific thunder storm last night (Katherine sent it my way ;) :D )
I'll tell you something though about Prismas melting. Two years ago I was on holiday in the middle of France (near Troyes), it was the worst heat on record that year. I was outside trying to draw the farm house across from where we were staying and my Prismas were actually melting in the heat! :eek: I figured they were giving me advanced warning to go back inside; they were screaming 'get out of the bloody sun you nut!' LOL

Glenspey
06-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Thank you Judy, for all the information you've provided in this thread, I have rated it, as it is a must see as far as I'm concerned. :clap: :clap:

Gayle

Chisaii
06-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow Judy! This is a wonderful thread. I'm going to have to get back to the basics and try this again since it's been so long.

Glad to know there are ppl out there spending uncountable hours/days/weeks/months on pieces too!! Thought I was CP challenged or something since I can only work so long, put it up, work on something else, then go back.

Excellent info here and your work is soooooo good!

pinkrybns
06-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks Gayle & Chisaii .

Chisaii, you're not alone! Lots of us nit-pickers out here .. ;) :)

wet
06-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks for doing this Judy!! This would be a great starting point for my class. It turned out beautifully!! I am going to rate it too Gayle. wanda

Kimmetje
08-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I am really amazed what you do with just three kind of colours. I am working often with just two colours for contrast reasons, but my drawings they totaly dont have the air of realism as yours do.

I just found out of this website a few days ago and it seems I have still alot of work to catch up with before I come as good as many of you people out there. I am really amazed with the realistic appearance of some work. Some how I dont have the patience to do that. If I start with a work, I want it to be finished the same day, preferably the same hour. And surprisingly or not, sometimes some good things appear also now and then. Thank God :angel:

trudette
08-04-2005, 11:34 AM
:wave: I am really amazed what you do with just three kind of colours. I am working often with just two colours for contrast reasons, but my drawings they totaly dont have the air of realism as yours do.

I just found out of this website a few days ago and it seems I have still alot of work to catch up with before I come as good as many of you people out there. I am really amazed with the realistic appearance of some work. Some how I dont have the patience to do that. If I start with a work, I want it to be finished the same day, preferably the same hour. And surprisingly or not, sometimes some good things appear also now and then. Thank God :angel:

Welcome on this forum .
I love working with primary colors it's really challanging.
I would like to see your work .
:wave: trudette

Meisie
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Welkom Kimmetje! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Meisie

Katherine T
08-04-2005, 03:49 PM
So Judy - are you back from your hols - I thought you were away all week. Are you going to get yourself over to the OTL sometime soon to download those piccies!

pinkrybns
08-04-2005, 03:51 PM
So Judy - get yourself over to the OTL and download those piccies!Huh? what piccies would those be? You've all seen my Dutchman ... ad infinitum. :D :p

Katherine T
08-04-2005, 04:21 PM
I thought it was going to be churches and cathedrals?

Cathie Jones
08-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Judy - this is a terrific WIP. I've read through it and didn't see any mention of solvents/alcohol or blending. Do you use anything to blend, or just let the color build-up do it?

pinkrybns
08-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Judy - this is a terrific WIP. I've read through it and didn't see any mention of solvents/alcohol or blending. Do you use anything to blend, or just let the color build-up do it?Hi Cathie and thank you.

No, I didn't use any solvents or blending tools (not even the colorless blending pencil) in this piece. Just lots & lots of light layering to build up the colors. I did use the white pencil in some of the final layers (such as with the yellow areas) and I suppose that sort of blends things - but still it is only pencil.

I don't really use solvents unless the paper is a rough textured sort, such as a cold press watercolor paper - the "Peppers" was done on Stonehenge and that's not a rough surface.

Sometimes, when a background area is really large, I have used blending stumps/tortillons or Q-Tips (cotton buds) to blend the first few layers out, but you have to be very careful not to beat down the tooth of the paper when you use them, in my opinion. :)

I don't really like using solvents - I seem to always knock over the bottle or container they are in......LOL and those blending markers get dirty and dry out. Yes, I do know how to clean them, but do I? nooooooo LOL

Judy

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Judy, this is a great thread with very valuable information and for a newbie like me in CP, it is a treasure. I will have to read it again to remember everything and maybe you did mention this. How many layers do you use? I notice that sometime wax builds up more in some areas than in others. I have only done two CPs so I really hardly know anything about the technique and backgrounds seem to be so difficult for me.

brynmr
08-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Mary. I love JC. Cool quote. :)

pinkrybns
08-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Judy, this is a great thread with very valuable information and for a newbie like me in CP, it is a treasure. I will have to read it again to remember everything and maybe you did mention this. How many layers do you use? I notice that sometime wax builds up more in some areas than in others. I have only done two CPs so I really hardly know anything about the technique and backgrounds seem to be so difficult for me.Maryyyyyy!!

Ohhhh the how many layers question.... ohhhhh ohhhh oh!

You know, I hate to say this and it's not going to be the answer you're loking for probably, but... I don't count anymore. I honestly don't. I'm not trying to be a wise-acre here, but it's not so important to me how many layers or how much time I spend on a piece like this - or any piece for that matter.

For me when I do CP, or any other medium too, it's all about achiving the "look" I'm after that's in my mind's eye/heart, or what I want to see as an end result. Sometimes it happens in just a few layers and other times (or in certain areas within a piece) that achivement takes many layers to attain. My best advice, if you want to work super-realistically in CP, is to stop worrying about how many layers and think more about what colors or combos of colors to use inorder to get the depth and all the values needed, and build up areas with the lightest layers possible.

Sure it's tedious, and sure it might not be for everyone's style or temperment, but some of us like working this way. You might too.

All I can say is it's lots of light layers.......very light layers on top of very light layers so as not to get to that waxy build up too soon.

I use heavier pressure towards the final layers of the piece and in the areas that call for it... takes practice loads of practice.

:wave:
Judy
P.S. Please excuse all spelling and grammar errors...it's late here and I'm sleeeeeepy! ;)

pinkrybns
08-04-2005, 07:55 PM
OK it is really late here and at first I thought it was Cathie asking me about layering, then I saw it was Mary......OK, OK......I need sleep!

Het spijt me! (apologies)

LOL
~Judy

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Thank you Judy! Now I uderstand why I get that wax build up. I have been taking JayD's 101 drawing and sketching class but my work is Mixed Media. At least it looks like CP is something you can pick up when you feel like it and leave it to do other things.

Tommy, I love JC also, glad you liked the quote. BTW, I'm going to take a look at your thread, your work is awesome.

pinkrybns
08-05-2005, 05:35 AM
Thank you Judy! Now I uderstand why I get that wax build up. I have been taking JayD's 101 drawing and sketching class but my work is Mixed Media. At least it looks like CP is something you can pick up when you feel like it and leave it to do other things.
Hi Mary,

Yes, CP can be a "pick up - put down" process, but that's also personal to how you want to work. If you are getting wax build up while you're working and you don't want that, there are ways of lifting the color out of an area. See the CPLibrary for tips on doing that. (some people even use the wax build-up to their advantage - see Lahree's work in the forum for example)

You can also use a fixative and spray lightly inbetween layers if the wax becomes a problem.... or you can use the oil based pencils ( Lyra's, Caran d'Ache, or Faber Castell) and not experience the wax build up at all.

Best exercise: Get a piece of paper and practice doing very, very light layers. I still think I can't get layers light enough sometimes.

When you have something you want to post, start a new thread! Many people in the forum are willing to help you too!

~Judy

Mary Woodul
08-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Thank you Judy, I am going to love this!!!

Cathie Jones
08-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks for answering, Judy. I also appreciate the answser to Mary's question. Makes me think I may be able to do this after all.

And Mary is being modest - she has already done some beautiful CP things in the Basic 101 class!!