PDA

View Full Version : GSD - using Derwent Graphitint

Glenspey
06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
For those who wanted to know more about graphitint. They are very new, not on general sale yet, the official launch is at the artists and illustrators exhibition in London in July. I got mine from Derwent at an art exhibition last weekend.
There are 24 colours in soft greys, russets, blues, greens, browns and plums and they are described as coloured soluble graphite pencils. You can use dry for a hint of colour or wet with a brush for more colour.
I am testing them on a photo from stockxchange, the same GSD Wendy used but a different pose as it is like my long deceased GSD Caesar was in colour. I am also using a photo of Caesar for colour.
14 x 10 on Arches Hot Press, which even after trying Stonehenge I prefer. I am also using a HB and 2B mechanical pencil.
So far I like them, they are mixable with both graphite and ordinary CP, they erase if used dry, you can work them over or under CP and the colour is very controlable.
I am fitting this in so it will not have to take very long to complete.
The right eye is not complete, I just wanted to get it in the right place.

Gayle

Weezy
06-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Interesting....what's the full strength application like? Maybe little swatches on a diff. piece of paper??? This looks really nice Gayle.

AuntBe1
06-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Hmm That is interesting. I know that you said that they can be mixed with CPs but could they be mixed with prismas? I'm wondering because Derwent puts them out and the Derwent CPs are a bit different.
Belinda

Glenspey
06-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Weezy, I'll do you some colour swatches.
Belinda, I use Prismas, Polychromos, Lyra and Derwents all mixed together (only the browns in Derwents) and have tried these with all of them, I have not had any problem. However, I am not looking for a deep application of colour, more a slightly coloured graphite and am not convinced they would be useful for subjects requiring a lot of deep tones.

Gayle

gordoiye
06-14-2005, 04:57 PM
gayle,
we geeks want pictures please (of the pencils, box, etc)... and lots of swatches... you can't have all the fun to yourself.

cheers,
gord

Katherine T
06-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Who's planning to go the Artists and Illustrators and can we all plan to go on the same day and have a WC CP (Anglo branch) day out?

brynmr
06-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Holy Doodles!!!!!!!! :eek: I've been asking for these for 30 years! Gayle what do you mean by deep tone? They don't go dark? Do they smear like graphite pencils?

Glenspey
06-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Gord, photo's of them tonight.When I come home from work I'll do swatches and photograph the pencils themselves, sorry no tin, but I'll scan the info. I got on them.

Tommy, they behave like graphite with colour, they suit my way of working.
I saw a really bright Turtle done with them, so they obviously do go deep, I'll test drive tonight and post the results.
Katherine, I'm hoping to go to the A&I on the Friday because there's a demo I want to go to, but obviously it all depends on Rob.

Gayle

Katherine T
06-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Katherine, I'm hoping to go to the A&I on the Friday because there's a demo I want to go to, but obviously it all depends on Rob.

GayleLet's e-mail - I haven't sorted dates or tickets or anything - but the BDC is a 10 minute walk for me so even if I did want to go on a different day I could always arrange to meet up with you on Friday and "do lunch"! If you need to keep it flexible that's fine. I've not studied the seminars yet - I'll go and find the website and take a peek.

Meisie
06-15-2005, 03:51 AM
Gayle this is very exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing what this becomes/ how it works out. The 'sound' of these pencils is good! (like something I'd love to play with :D) Thank you for all the extra effort!

Meisie

Rosa Weitzel
06-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Thank you for the wonderful information, it really helps to learn new things and now that I am teaching a class I can pass your info on to those who want to work just a little different.
You are so helpful on this forum, I just want you to know how much I appreciate it.
Hope son is doing well.

Rosa

chocolatyclaire
06-15-2005, 08:16 AM
I've never even heard of them. They sound intersting though. How are you finding them Gayle?

Glenspey
06-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Katherine, it would be nice to meet up, I'll e mail you a bit nearer the time.
Thanks Meisie and Rosa, we are waiting to find out when Rob's operation will be, it affects everything we do at present.
I like them Claire, so far they are doing what I want.
Photo's of the material I got describing them and the pencils themselves, I'll do the swatches later.

Gayle

Meisie
06-15-2005, 12:21 PM
These will be the best for sketching! oooooooo :D

Meisie

Glenspey
06-15-2005, 01:58 PM
So you can see the effect better, this is about 150% life size, right ear.

Gayle

Weezy
06-15-2005, 03:33 PM
These look really interesting. I wonder if they'll be at the Art Methods and Materials Show in Pasadena in October?

Meisie
06-15-2005, 05:34 PM
So the grey mixed in there with the pink is from the pink pencil, right? You didn't put any grey down? Looks neat :)

Meisie

daftun
06-16-2005, 11:13 AM
:) These look good Gayle ,are you using them wet as well or just dry? are they a bit like watercolour pencils can't wait to see more thanks for showing them
Della. :cat:

Glenspey
06-16-2005, 03:39 PM
You got it right Meisie, that's the effect of adding water to the Port pencil.
Della, I'm using them dry, then adding water in certain areas, like the inner ear.

Gayle

Meisie
06-17-2005, 02:10 AM
Oh my oh my.....I like this way more than my purse will!!! :D

Beautiful dog Gayle...

Meisie

Katherine T
06-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Gayle - they look like they're absolutely perfect for you and dog paintings - I should think a few demonstrations using them by you at suitable events would be a nice idea! ;)

Meisie
06-17-2005, 03:07 AM
and this would be a good one for the library, not? New technique with new materials...

Meisie

RobinZ
06-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Gayle, thanks so much for showing us!

I am wondering what CPSA will think of these?

Rob continues to be in my daily prayers...

Rosa Weitzel
06-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Gayle the dog looks great, should really work well in your dog drawings.

Rosa

Glenspey
06-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Thank you for your comments.
Robin, I really appreciate you including Rob in your prayers, it means a great deal to me.
This is moving along really well, the scan is making the colour look more 'blobby' than in RL, I will try to take a photo. tomorrow.

Gayle

Flame Lily
06-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Gayle, this is fascinating, thanks for doing a demo... ooh, I'd love to get my hands on some of these pencils. You're doing a wonderful job on this. Have been thinking about you and your son, I hope his surgery goes well, let us know.

Fleur
06-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Gayle, this is gorgeous so far! I've been dying to get my hands on those graphitints! Are the pencils softer than the usual Derwent coloured pencils???
Marie-Dom

Meisie
06-17-2005, 01:18 PM
he is such a beautiful dog and you have captured, already, a most wonderful expression, Gayle. Those eyes are so typical of the GSD I've known.
Will his right eye have more brown, or is the scan off?

I'm thoroughly enjoying the journey of seeing this develop.

Meisie

keeping Rob in prayer....

bearded bob
06-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Wonderful work Gayle, like you have been using them for years. The CPSA and the UKCPS are deep in discussion about these pencils. They are not wax based, or oil based - or even chalk based like pastels - they are graphite based. So are they coloured pencils in the CPSA/UKCPS definition or not? Don't know. We are waiting on Rhonda Farfan to make a decision I think. If anyone wants to see some more colourful work with these pencils visit Stephen Ormerod's page (http://www.sormerod.co.uk), the UK artist who did the artwork for the tins.

Its an important decision for the Societies. There is an argument that if it is coloured and its a pencil, its a coloured pencil, but this would let in pastel pencils, and that is something both societies want to avoid. We don't know how to treat these new materials yet.

bearded bob
06-17-2005, 03:09 PM
PS - a lot of the links at Stephens site do not appear to be working, it is in development. The mermaid is graphitints. Also, I am sorry that the UKCPS will not be having a stall at the A&I this year, but Derwent will certainly be there, and Stephen and others are demonstrating the graphitints especially.

Flame Lily
06-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Interesting information and that website... WOW!

If we could have a vote, I would vote 'not colored pencils' because... they're not colored pencils :) Just like you say... pastel pencils are not either. But it's good to know they're considering this and talking about it.

RobinZ
06-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Hmmm...I bet they don't. Oil and wax are invisible binders of pigment, the graphite shows thru...

Meisie
06-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I certainly vote for a 'no' too...'cause then graphit should also be ok.... I guess the main thing to remember with these, is that everything will be greyed, which makes it excellent for fur I think, and many landscape applications and still life....what can I say? I just like the way they look :D

Meisie

RobinZ
06-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Me, too, I'll definitely want to try them.

BKWYRM
06-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Ooh, my poor, poor pocketbook! These look fabulous! How many days 'til Christmas?

JayD
06-18-2005, 12:06 AM
I think this weird little board needs some work--when I hit reply, it made me log in!

Hi, everybody--Hi Robin!!! :wave: :wave: :wave: I have some colored mechanical lead that I like to fool around with but I have never seen these before--how do they feel when handling? Is is something that you think you can get used to?

marilyn h
07-01-2005, 05:13 AM
http://www.dugaldstermer.com/contents.html

Seeing this thread, I wanted to share this webpage that I came across yesterday. It reminds me so much of these how these pencils look. Just a similarity.

BKWYRM
07-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Marilyn, I checked out that site. Wow!

Glenspey
08-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I've actually done some more on this, another of my hasty finishes as it's going to the printers next week.

Gayle
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2005/34379-graph1.jpg

Meisie
08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Simply gorgeous! These pencils are incredible for animals, not?

Meisie

Weezy
08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Gayle, you have a gift. Wow.

bearded bob
08-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Amazing Gayle. Have you seen the Artist and Leisure Painter magazines this month (UK Versions)? Both have articles on Graphitints, the big push is on, but I gather many shops are not stocking them yet over here. None of the artwork used to illustrate either article is a patch on this GSD!

catchlight
08-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Wow I love this style, I'd love to give it a go! I know we can order derwent pencils from my art store, so perhaps they have the graphitint ones available on order. I just love the subtlety of these pencils. Beautiful stuff Gayle :)

ams
08-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Beautiful Gayle. Did you use them dry on this?

Anne

gr8pets
08-12-2005, 12:58 PM
I emailed Dick Blick for availability, and here's what they said. I wasn't aware of their special order dept, and thought I'd share.

Gayle, you are doing an awesome job on this WIP, and thanks for sharing info about the new pencils!

Christi

From Dick Blick:

Hello,

We would need to pursue a special order for you, as that item is not readily available.

This is how Special Orders work... Anyone in the Order Department can complete the form for you.

(phone: 1-800-828-4548 in USA) Special orders not available internationally.

Any information you are able to provide will help us find the item. Then, the Special Orders Department researches the details about the products.

When they have all the information, Special Orders Department calls you back.

After you hear the details, if you wish to order, you would place the order with the Special Orders Department.

Filling out the paperwork does not obligate you to purchase.

This is a service we provide for products we do not carry from our suppliers - be aware that lead times may vary from 2-6 weeks - special order items are shipped from the factory to you.

The Special Order Department will get back to you in 2-3 business days, and will then let you how long it would take to receive the items and the cost.

Thank you,

Blick Art Materials

Meisie
08-12-2005, 02:59 PM
I was looking at a ref I want to do...and I need these pencils for it....now will I be able to wait though??? :)

Meisie

Cathie Jones
08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure they're all on the same page at Blick! I e-mailed two weeks ago and was told they were in stock, just not on the web site yet. They gave me an order number, 22039-0129, and phone number 800-447-8192 to order them. They arrived one week later.

JayD ordered 2 tins and paid extra for overnight delivery, so they must have them there somewhere!! They do only have the 12-pencil set right now, but judging from the interest shown here, I'd bet they'll have more soon!

It was this GSD drawing that inspired me to order them. It's fantastic!!!

Glenspey
08-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Thank you for all the lovely comments, in spite of my bruises I am going round with a smile today.
Bob, I have seen the articles, thank you for your compliment.
I have more or less finished, I forgot the whiskers on this scan but have now added one or two. I don't think i want to take the colour any further but would appreciate any one else's opinion.
After using the graphitint I think they are ideal for using with graphite(or without) for producing subtle colour effects, but they would not produce deep rich tones (in my opinion).
I thought it might be nice to compare this GSD with one I did earlier using graphite as a base. I prefer my newest version, mainly because the shape of the muzzle on version 1 now looks wrong to me, and the eyes look too protruding, but again I would welcome any comments.

Gayle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34379-GSDebay.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34379-gsdcard_copy.jpg

Katherine T
08-13-2005, 05:25 AM
Gayle - this is a really excellent piece of work - I'd expect no less! ;):D :clap::clap::clap:

Did you find the pencils wore down quite fast? I've just been looking at mine and was quite surprised by the level of wear given how much they've been used - which is basically two A4 sized drawings.

Derwent have supplied me a copy of the lightfastness chart for Graphitints and anybody who is interested can have a copy by e-mailing me.

Glenspey
08-13-2005, 05:28 AM
Thanks Katherine.
I did find they needed sharpening quite frequently to keep a point but I didnt use much as my style only involves drawing lines rather than blocking in. I would like a copy of the chart if possible.

Gayle

Katherine T
08-13-2005, 05:32 AM
No sooner requested than on its way!

And BTW folks I've rated this thread - I think it would be an excellent addition to the CP Library (assuming we're feeling a bit more relaxed about them as CPs than either of the CP societies!).

catchlight
08-13-2005, 08:17 AM
I've rated it too, heck they're colour and they're pencils, that's good enough for me :) And I think your most recent shepherd is the best too Gayle, although I like the old one too! I love the subtlety of the colours, there's something really special about it.

Glenspey
08-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks Wendy, he now has whiskers, I'm going to take a photo rather than a scan tomorrow.

Gayle

Meisie
08-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Gayle I love your 'new' dog...and I just marvel at these pencils. I think they are terrific and the perfect medium for something like this dog! I want to try them on birds....
Just beautiful (btw does the eye on the left have brown in it too?) will you do more?

Meisie

Glenspey
08-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks Meisie, the left eye does have brown in, but I didn't wet it like I did the right eye.
I will definately be using on a regular basis, I really like the effect.

Gayle

TeAnne
08-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Fantastic and I want some of those pencils when they come to australia. :)

wet
08-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks so much for doing this Gayle! I can see how someone wanting a subtle look would love the tinted ones. For animals it works well. Do you think you will use them again? Or a cp cg combo? I love both of these but I admit I am more drawn to the second one. All of that color is just too hard for me to resist. :D I am rating this one too. Wanda

bearded bob
09-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Just in case anyone misses this, i have posted it in two threads:

You may be interested to know that at the AGM of the UKCPS, these were accepted as being coloured pencils, and perfectly allowable for exhibition. So theoretically, you could enter this GSD into our main exhibition. I have to add a couple of things. First - this is NOT quite how the CPSA view them. The CPSA has said they are allowable in any picture that also contains some CP, under, between OR OVER layers of CP. The UKCPS has gone that stage further and said that a picture containing Graphitint only will be allowed. Second - what do you think? Personally, I don't get them. If I want watersoluble pencils, I will use the watercolour pencils. I don't really get the reason for muddying the colours with Graphite. I suspect if you were doing a portrait of a GSD and not just testing the graphitints, Gayle, you may have used them for the fur - but not the tongue? There may be times when they give you something you want, but I don't see them being used very often, so despite my reservations, I am reasonably happy with our ruling.

Glenspey
09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Bob, thanks for explaining how they are viewed.
I was happy how they worked and would use them again on the whole animal, but then I like working in pure graphite or graphite plus coloured pencil.

Gayle

Meisie
09-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Am I right that both the colour and the graphite is soluble?
Bob I don't know that I would want to use it for anything other that fauna and flora....but then not flowers as such, more nuts, dries leaves...that sort of thing. For me they would have limited application, but I'd love to try them :D
It is interesting to see how the Societies see it...I agree with UKCPS....

Meisie

catchlight
09-06-2005, 02:47 AM
You know Gayle, I reckon you should be getting a commission from Derwent for all this! I wonder how many of us went out and bought those pencils just on seeing your work in it! I know I have a set on order for when they arrive here :)

bearded bob
09-06-2005, 04:48 AM
Meisie, unfortunatley, having slept on it, I don't agree with the UKCPS, for reasons in Katherines thread on Graphitint! But I am not involved with discussions of the exec and of course accept their decision.

Meisie
09-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Now I'll have to go read that thread again Bob :)

Meisie

RobinZ
09-06-2005, 03:34 PM
I've rated this one, too! Exceptional art and so informative!

Meisie
09-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I agree with Bob, that these are not cp. Read and reread and thought about it. They are indeed coloured graphite. Something different from graphite, also different from cp, also different from water soluable cp.

Meisie

piper2
09-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Gayle, just arrived for the finish. Super nice and rather reminds me of the illustrations in one of my old breed books. Very good!

pencilpete
09-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I have been looking at the threads here on acceptability of Graphitint as ruled by UKCPS at the AGM last weekend. I chaired the meeting of the Executive and also the AGM and I think there may be some confusion over the decision (though we were quite clear in our own minds !) It was not our intention to give the impression that we regarded Graphitint as CP. We don't.

It was not our intention to give the impression that 100% Graphitint pictures will be allowed as CP either.

The Society's existing rules allow graphite as a layer in a 'Pure CP' picture.
The existing rules allow water soluble pencils, also provided they are designated 'compatible with CP'. and the use of solvents is also allowed in the underlayers.

What we intended to say was that we see no reason why Graphitint should not be freely included with these ancilliary types of pencil allowable in a pure CP picture ( even though Derwent do not specifically say that they are 'compatible with CP'). Provided that the final layer is 100% Cp (as now) the picture will be acceptable. Perhaps in the flood of information at the AGM the full wording of the decision was not made clear and if that is the case, I personally apologise both to Bob and to members.

I am checking back with the Secretary of the Society who has the minutes and once I have confirmed to exact and official line, as decided at the meeting, I will post the exact wording here so that there will be no doubt.

Peter Weatherill
UKCPS

Paula_NZ
09-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Oh Brilliant!!! These could possibly be the very item that would suite my needs. I am a beginner to drawing, so I should be using graphite to learn, but I love colour. These seem to be the perfect fit for me. Thank you.

Paula

catchlight
09-07-2005, 09:13 PM
They do sound great for that too don't they Paula? I wish they'd been around when I started out! I know that some stores have them in here in NZ, if you can't find anything in Auckland, I can let you know where to get them from down here in ChCh if that helps! :)

Paula_NZ
09-08-2005, 03:41 AM
Wendy, Oh yes please let me know where to get them in ChCh. I was in Gordon Harris last week and didn't see anything other than the standard graphites and they are still not being shown on the Dick Blick web site. About regular graphites - I have come to love Koh-i-Noor graphites over Faber-Castell. NZ needs more stores and better selections. :)

Thanks Wendy.

Has anyone posted a colour chart anywhere? :D

Paula

catchlight
09-08-2005, 04:52 AM
I've sent you a PM Paula with all the info you could possibly ever need and probably considerably more than you'll ever want :D

Paula_NZ
09-09-2005, 02:14 AM
Wendy,
Today I found an art store here in Auckland that is getting a shipment of Graphtints in 2 weeks - I ordered them. Thank you for all your help. I finally decided to try both Prismas and polychromos and went out and bought a couple of tins today. I will be doing a test to see which ones I like the best. I also took your advice and bought the pastel paper you suggested. Thanks again.

Paula

alfredart
09-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Question for Bob... are these pencils the same as the Derwent Drawing that they were going to expand the colors to 24 or are these something different?

Peace,
AL

Glenspey
09-09-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi Al

They are different to the Derwent drawing, they are graphite with a hint of colour, and behave more like graphite than CP's.

Gayle

alfredart
09-09-2005, 04:13 AM
Thanks Gayle, hmmm... still waiting the the Drawing pencils over here and they've come out with someting new. It never ends. Sorry I feel rude for not commenting on your Shepherd. You work those pencils well as this is beautiful. I really love the colors you really have a way with fur. Top shelf work indeed.

Peace,
AL

FaeLynn
09-09-2005, 06:36 AM
HI Gayle!
I am sorry I am just now popping in to tell you how much I love your GSD's!
I never took the time to check out this thread. They had sets of 24 graphitints out in California, but I didn't take the time to check them out or else probably would have bought them. But my sweet FIL will get them for me if only I ask.
You did a really outstanding job on both dogs, but I like the most recent one best. And the detail, oh my!!
Kudos to you, and thank you so much for the informative and inspiring work!
~Fae Lynn

pencilpete
09-09-2005, 09:02 AM
UKCPS Annual General Meeting

As promised, this is a confirmation that the UK Coloured Pencil Society Rules on what comprises a work in Pure Coloured Pencil are unchanged. The decision on Graphitint is to allow it as an underlayer both as a source of graphite (already allowed) and as a source of soluble pigment (also already allowed - but previously only from pencil sources labled 'compatible with CP'). Graphitint is not specifically labled 'Compatible' but the decision is that it will be accepted if the artist chooses to use it. The Society has not tested compatibility.

I hope this clarifies the position

Peter Weatherill
UKCPS

Meisie
09-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Thank you for taking the time to post this Peter!

Meisie

Glenspey
09-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks Al and Fae Lynn, thank you Peter for making the position clear.

bearded bob
09-13-2005, 12:30 PM
I would just like to add my apologies to Peter and to the exec of the UKCPS if I got anything wrong from what I took from the AGM. I have seen Peter and he assured me it was their mistake, but I am always ready to admit that I am not the best listener and have been known in the past to misunderstand. I have had a good chat with Peter about this and am happy with the UKCPS position on these pencils.

And apologies to you too Gayle - I should not have highjacked this thread for a general discussion of Graphitints.

dex
01-21-2006, 04:13 PM
[quote=Glenspey]Thank you for all the lovely comments, in spite of my bruises I am going round with a smile today.
Bob, I have seen the articles, thank you for your compliment.
I have more or less finished, I forgot the whiskers on this scan but have now added one or two. I don't think i want to take the colour any further but would appreciate any one else's opinion.
After using the graphitint I think they are ideal for using with graphite(or without) for producing subtle colour effects, but they would not produce deep rich tones (in my opinion).
I thought it might be nice to compare this GSD with one I did earlier using graphite as a base. I prefer my newest version, mainly because the shape of the muzzle on version 1 now looks wrong to me, and the eyes look too protruding, but again I would welcome any comments.

Gayle

quote]

Hi Gayle:wave:
you have a great eye for detail,
fantastic portraits.:clap: :clap: :clap:
regards
dex

Katherine T,
would love a copy of "graphitint"chart,
(if u r not overloaded with requests!:) )thanks.
dex