PDA

View Full Version : Something cold and slippery /Semi WIP

az4ever
12-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm new at posting images, so I'm not too sure how this will work! But here goes.

I have never really done a portait before. This piece is for a children's picture book and although it is not a true portrait, it is a character that will be repeated throughout the book. I felt I needed to do a study to get to know her well. The first image shows a linear being developed with this study. (I did do a value study also before starting on my final, but I didn't photograph that.)

I'll post the progress I've photographed so far as a wip. I'm open to any C&C's. I do have a question for you all I'll post with the image I'm at now.
This piece is 16x24 on Stonhenge. Mixed media- Prisma Pencil and Nupastel.

Thanks! Gail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/71622-uw_linear_final.jpg

az4ever
12-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Here's the next step. I masked off the areas I needed to stay white with frisket (liquid for the bubbles everything else was cut from a film). Then rubbed in ground Nupastel with tissue building my colors.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/71622-p_28-29_pastel_only.jpg

az4ever
12-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Started in on her face and some shading on tail.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/71622-p28-29wip_2.JPG

az4ever
12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Finished face and hair.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/71622-DCP_0076.JPG

wet
12-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Wow Gail this is so neat!! I love what you have going on so far. How does the stonehenge react with the frisket liquid? I had a women in my class that was going to try it but never did. Does it come off easily? Waiting for more.:D Wanda

Scott Daryn Tillett
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Wonderful work Gail. I also like to know how the frisket worked on your paper. I've been thinking of trying it. Again.....love the piece.
Scott

az4ever
12-19-2005, 04:55 PM
I want to get the rest of the color down before I push the values anymore. I'd like some opinions on the color of her bathing suit. I was going to go with orange or red (trying to stay with warm colors and play up the complementary color scheme, but now I'm thinking I need more color. Maybe purple or a deep pink?? At this point I'm planning on doing the fish like my ref shot, gray with black and yellow stripes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/71622-wip_p28-29_color_002.jpg

close-up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2005/71622-DCP_0079.JPG

az4ever
12-19-2005, 05:06 PM
The liquid frisket (Maskoid) did change the paper tooth and color some. On this piece I only used the liquid where the bubbles will be. CP takes fine after the frisket is removed, but the pastel was another story! I had to scrap my first attempt and start over after appling the pastel. Anywhere the Maskoid had been made the paper act like a sponge and I ended up with blotches of color. So don't use this with pastel! I went back to cutting a mask for all those areas and it worked fine. (I'm pretty good with an exacto after working in airbrush years ago.)

Gail

gealflings
12-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Wow, that's incredible! Beautiful work. I'd say purple for the bathing suit, a warm purple screams at me ;)

Absolutely adorable.

tjt designs
12-19-2005, 05:26 PM
az4ever, first I must complement you. This drawing is great. The girls expression, her hair, and the whale's tail are awesome.

The only advice I can give you for the bathing suit comes from reading too many women's fashion magazines. Since she has red hair, you might want to steer away from any red colors in the suit. Green is supposed to bring the most out of red hair because it is a complementary color.

Great work!

darlingart
12-19-2005, 06:42 PM
This is looking awesome, the little girl's face is beautiful. Personally I would go for a green bathing suit.

One little thing - and it is obviously just me as no one else has mentioned it - but the whale's tail is not reading correct to me (Or more accurately I am not seeing it correctly). The little girl is holding on to one tail fluke right? Is the curved bit pointing downwards the other tail fluke, and the more horizontal bit going off the right of the paper the beginning of the body? If so, whale tail flukes are symetrical on either side, and are attached to the body in the middle - do you have a reference pic for this, it may just be I am tired and not seeing things properly!

Michelle

CAULFIELD
12-19-2005, 07:06 PM
This is very simply awesome! Your tehnique is so well done!! The composition & he girls face just wonderful! :clap:

I don't know what adce to give you on the color of the bathing suit - every one you've said and that has been mentioned has good reasons to be in there... I just don't know.

I have one little nitpick - her right knee (our left) seems a little funny - like it has to hard of an edge on the cap.

Just wonderful though - I really enjoyed seeing it!

frida
12-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Great work and skill!!! :clap: And this is your first portrait? Awesome...

I also find the fish tail confusing, and further to Nicole's comment, even though her right foot is in the distance, behind, and foreshortened, it is not convincing.

Your blues are lovely! What colours have you combined, if you don't mind sharing...?

JayD
12-19-2005, 10:03 PM
That's not a fish is it? It looks like the fin of a whale or dolphin. I went over this again and again because I was just fascinated with the nupastel technique--it looks almost airbrushed.

Meisie
12-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Very nice indeed!

Thanks for the info on the frisket/stonehenge combo!

Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Meisie

az4ever
12-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the compliments and the color suggestions Sarah and TJT. I'll have to play around with my options befroe I decide.

Yes, it is whale's fluke. (Could be a dolphin too though. Tthe text only says "something cold and slippery"). Yeah, Michelle you are seeing it correctly,sometimes when I look at it I get an M.C. Esher feeling so I will work on that with the shading.

And Nicole and Rachel, thanks for being nick-picky. I centainly want it to be convincing.

JayD and Meisie, the way stonehenge takes the pasrel does give it an airbrush quality yet shows more color variation.

I'll check the colors I used and post that tomorrow.

catchlight
12-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Wow! Beautiful work, really gorgeous!! I'm also a little confused about the whale/dolphin tail and the knee cap but your work is stunning none the less! I reckon a nice dark greeny blue for the suit would be gorgeous, something to show off that red hair!

graphicdiva
12-20-2005, 01:42 AM
oh wow I've been away for a couple of days this is really beautiful. Great work!!
thanks for showing it to us:)
Christina

az4ever
12-20-2005, 10:31 AM
az4ever, first I must complement you. This drawing is great. The girls expression, her hair, and the whale's tail are awesome.

The only advice I can give you for the bathing suit comes from reading too many women's fashion magazines. Since she has red hair, you might want to steer away from any red colors in the suit. Green is supposed to bring the most out of red hair because it is a complementary color.

Great work!

That's funny. My daughters were looking at it (both redheads) and said they would never were red or orange! My oldest daughter (21) was the inspiration for this. I am actually surprised that it does look like her, except I changed her eye color.
Gail

az4ever
12-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks Christina and Wendy, Ill try try a dark green on one of my practices, I think it would bring out her eyes too. I have green eyes and found wearing green does make my eyes look greener.

My daughters eyes are actually the same color as her hair, we never know what color to call them...red just doesn't sound right, lol, so she says "amber".

az4ever
12-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Great work and skill!!! :clap: And this is your first portrait? Awesome...

I also find the fish tail confusing, and further to Nicole's comment, even though her right foot is in the distance, behind, and foreshortened, it is not convincing.

Your blues are lovely! What colours have you combined, if you don't mind sharing...?

The blues are: Nupastel. The top is a little of their lightest sky blue (sorry I broke that one and can't read the #), then a med. blue 265p, finally a lot of a darker, brighter blue 275p. I did find it's best to put the dust of the color you want where you want then rub and blend where they meet. If you try to layer dark over light you won't be able to go too dark.

For some reason Stonehenge seems to bring out a lot of variations in each color, I can see a lot of purple flecks in the 275p when it's applied. It looks cool and gives a textural quality very similar to layered CP.

And thanks for the comment on my "skill" I had an AD tell me I needed to develope my skill, so that's what I've been working on for the last 6 months. I learnered a lot about portrait work luring around here. Also had a great mentor, whose work I really admire, guiding me along. I didn't know when developing my new style I end up going so realistic, but it seems to be what I need to do.

gail

ams
12-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Very nicely done. Glad you posted it.

I can't add anything to the excellent advice you have already received. I can just enjoy it!

Anne

Meisie
12-20-2005, 03:06 PM
hmmm soon this thread will need to be in the library...so much useful info in it re masking and pastels on stonehenge....time to rate it folks, if you feel the same. :)

Meisie

az4ever
12-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Always wanted to have my work in the library! :wink2:

wet
12-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I will Meisie!! Great info. Wanda

frida
12-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Thank you for the info on Nupastel Gail...!

Is this prep work you are doing for a commisioned book, or a personal project for now? I understand the process is a lengthy one, so I am always filled with admiration when someone ventures into the publishing business... Whatever it is, I am sure it will be fully successful! :clap:

az4ever
12-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Raquel,

Lengthy is right!! I don't have a contract yet. I have been at this for a few years now. I have 2 other books under consideration at large publishers in NY. It is a waiting game. The book that goes with this illustration is one I've also written. This is not the norm for the industry, but is how I work. This actually makes it harder to get published!

I have had this manuscript read by a big editor who gave revision suggestions. I now have those done and plan on sending this out the beginning of the year. I have to do one more final color piece to go along with it. I have the entire book, 32 pages, done in sketches. An art director I met with last month is interested, so that's where I will be sending this first.

The standard for submitting something like this is to include a full manuscript, a B&W dummy book with all the sketches (16-20), type placement, and 2 final color samples. A lot of work is involved. If you are interested in illustrating someone elses manuscript then the norm is to have lots of samples and send promotional pieces to every art director you can. And wait for them to match yo up with a story. Like most things, you better love doing it!

Gail

frida
12-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Thank you Gail for sharing the process... :)

When you compare the way you work with the "norm", I assume you mean that most artists only illustrate a writer's text, right? In your case both will be more intricately knitted, since they come from the same creative source. Wonderful! :clap:

Albert Wagner
12-21-2005, 12:57 PM
I share the facination of some others here about using pastels for the background. Did you use fixatif? Or did you feel that it was unnecessary? Why didn't you use airbrush? I have experimented a little with pastel for large smoothly blended areas. Although I am a newbie with airbrush, I do have the equipment; I want to try airbrushing a clear acrylic medium on top of soft pastels. It seemed to me that sprayed acrylic might make a better base for CP than regular fixitif. I have tried to do CP on top of acrylic and the acrylic seems to take the CP OK; expecially if gesso is used rather than regular white in that is has more tooth. I also thought about adding granite dust to the acrylic for added tooth. Thank you for sharing. I'm happy to see other people experimenting. Personally, I am no purist regarding any medium and would paint with cow patties If it gave the effect I wanted :-)

az4ever
01-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to your questions sooner Albert, trying to get back to a routine here after the holidays. I just didn't want to airbrush. Kind of using this as an experimental piece. Trying new things. Let me know how airbrushing the acrylic medium works if you try it.

I did use a fix over the pastel. Don't know if I will do that again though. (Or if I do I will go very light.) It worked fine for the blue since I did't use prisma on top of that area. But I don't like the texture it left. I tried to go easy but now that i'm working over it on the grey areas, I'm having trouble building color. This is the first time I've used Stonehenge and I can't believe how many layers I can get where I haven't sprayed! Plus I love the texture, seems to suit my style well.

I have been working on the fish. Decided to get those colors in before choosing her suit color. I will post an update tomorrow.

Gail

frida
01-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I only used pastel combined with CP once, and I didn't use a fixative. Had a lot of trouble getting Bruynzeel Design pencils to stay, but no trouble at all with Prismacolor. I applied the powder with a foam chip (the packing kind), pressing into the paper. Brushed it well, and used the CP on it. I sprayed it when it was finished... :)

az4ever
01-04-2006, 07:38 PM
I thought I'd be posting an update earlier today, I was going to show the fish "half-done" so you could see how I put color down, but I got carried away and did them all. Since I usually work slowly I felt I better keep going while on a roll!

In RL the light ones work well, not sure they are showing up right in the photo. I'm trying out my new camera, plus lost my natural light to photograph in. I'll have to play with it some more later.

Albert Wagner
01-04-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm still having trouble with the left fluke of the whale(the whale's left). It appears to be attached with a small bit of flesh no larger than the girl's wrist. I think the illusion is caused by the light blue shading between the whale body and the left fluke that indicates light where no light should be. I would use the same dark shading that is between the left fluke and whale body at the right edge of the picture, and continue it all the way over and covering the light blue shading entirely.

Paapu
01-04-2006, 08:33 PM
This is awesome Gail, dunno much abt dolphins.. but when i look at it, I just feel very happy and thats the effect I like in any artwork! :) I love the small fishes.. beautiful detail!:clap: :clap: can't wait to see the finished piece!

frida
01-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Your images are very appealing to the eye... There is a "friendliness" about them that attracts. I am sure the book will be a winner!

Love your CP technique too! :)

az4ever
01-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks Paapu and Rachel, glad I've got the feeling there.

Albert, I'll have to take another look at the many ref. images I started with. None were exactly the view I wanted so I made a model and photographed it. There was light coming through onto that side of the fluke. But I agree, something just isn't right.

Gail

az4ever
01-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Here's my update.

I pretty much didn't follow advice on the color. The vote overwhelming was for yellow, then green. Oh, well. I did think about aqua but I felt it was getting lost in the sea. Yellow just popped out too much and became the focal point instead of her face. (Although I love just a bit of it for the trim.) I had very good reasons for going this way. It worked best with her skin color and reflected color, it will let me do the bubbles in a color that will show up, it doesn't overpower her face, and lastly it follows my original plan of staying with warm colors for the figure and cool colors for her surroundings. Anyway hope it works! Now on to bubbles and then I'll revisit changes to the fluke.

Gail
Ps. And what little girl doesn't like to wear pink!

Paapu
01-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Gail lovely update! :D u will be adding more details to the bubbles right? am so looking forward to that..

Diane Cutter
01-12-2006, 02:07 PM
It's great... and I love your little sargeant majors, one of my favorite fish...

Diane

az4ever
01-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Paapu, yup...I'll be adding detail to the bubbles. I'm looking forward to working on those, should be fun.

Diane, so glad you recognize the fish. I had a whole lesson on tropical fish. I had thought of using a different fish in a different color until I found out they didn't school! The things we have to know!

Gail

Diane Cutter
01-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Well, if you ever want 'fish info' I'm happy to help. I spent years in my area as a scuba instructor. On one reef, the sargeant majors are accustomed to being fed, so we could simply wiggle our fingers and they would 'flock' to us, checking out potential goodies... They are called sargeant majors because of the stripes... and they are just as cocky!!! :D

Diane

az4ever
01-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I may take you up on that later Diane, I have another page in this book that is underwater too. I did hear that Sargent Majors were friendly fish, really glad to hear they "flock" around you. That's exaclty the feeling I was going for. I did make sure I counted their stripes once I found out their name!

Gail

Diane Cutter
01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I just looked at their tails again. They are damsel fish and their tails are not quite so 'koi' in structure. It's not a biggie since the stripes definitely ID the fish but, if you are making changes, you might want to change the tail. An excellent book, which I used to teach fish ID from, is the Reef Fish Identification books: http://www.fishid.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?action=init&product=FISH_ID

Diane

az4ever
01-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the ref info Diane. I bookmarked it. I was aware of the tails, just figured this is where I can use my official artistic license. I wanted them to flow. This story is a fantasy of sorts, so these fish don't even have to be real, I just like doing research and figured it will "read right" if I keep some reality in the pictures.

Diane Cutter
01-13-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm a big fan of artistic license... I've got mine framed and on my studio wall... :D

Diane

pinkrybns
01-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh Wow! Where have I been?? how did I miss this??? ... no excuse.

Gail this is terrific and yes, it's getting a star form me! lots of info here and your technique is just superb.

Umm..and yeah a pink bathing suit works of me!! :) :)

Phil Smith
01-13-2006, 08:11 PM
A nice, happy piece. Interestingly, a rather rare thing.

Thanks for posting this wonderful work, az4ever!

mauricar
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This is really good. I enjoyed watching you progress on this. How did the book go? Your illistrations are very good.

az4ever
01-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Diane, Didn't think of hanging mine. :wink2:

Thanks for the star Judy!

Phil, so glad to hear it has that "happy" feeling!

Midge, as far as the book goes this won't even be submitted 'til next month.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated when I get a contract. It could be a long time but I'm in it for the long run.

gail

az4ever
01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Here's where I'm at. I finished her hair, added a little more red refecting on her skin, blue reflecting on her suit, and started the bubbles. (The pencils are the colors I'm using on the bubbles.) You can see the outer bubbles have just the first colors down. I hope I'm not getting too blue. What do yo all think?

Gail

Paapu
01-18-2006, 02:24 PM
wow an update of my favourite part - the bubbles :D Gail how about adding some purles and less of blue?? Iam no expert at bubbles , but from what i see in that ref.. i see more of lavenders and purples than blues..

wet
01-18-2006, 03:16 PM
I think they are wonderful! The bubbles are really going to pull it all together. Wanda

CAULFIELD
01-18-2006, 04:32 PM
It's hard to tell if they are too blue without seeing the whole thing. I am guessing you mean too bright of blue as in too saturated? Even if you feel they are too bright it is a fantasy piece and things can be exaggerated. So the question is: how much do you want the bubbles to stand out? More than the fish - more than the girl?

Like I said I can't tell without seeing the whole thing. I do think it is cool to see it with other objects though - makes it seem more real!

Nicole

frida
01-18-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't see any danger of the bubbles stealing the limelight, because that red hair, the clarity of her facial features and her expression come really forward... So far it seems quite balanced to me, but sure, seeing it whole would give a more accurate view.

Your bubbles are so... bubbly! :p Beautiful, and so 3-dimensional...! :clap:

az4ever
01-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Good!! Bubbly is good!

I hope the bubbles really do pull it all together Wanda.

Yup, too saturated is what I was worried about Nicole. And drawing attention away from her face, which is my focal point. I did add some lavenders and purples to tone it down and lightened the tops. That actually added a nice sheen. Thanks Paapu.

I know it helps to see the whole picture. I know I get tunnel vision when I'm working on one area so detailed and have to stand back and look at the whole thing once in awhile. I'll post an update when I get more of them down.

Rosa Weitzel
01-19-2006, 10:25 AM
This is really coming together. I think the bubbles are looking really good.

Rosa:wave:

az4ever
01-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks Rosa! I'm pleased with how the bubbles turned out. They certainly didn't end up overpowering it.

Pretty much done with them. I will probably do a little "touch-up" after looking at them for a while. Added some french grey 30% and warm grey 50%, then burnished with deco pink and white. That seemed to give them an iridescent look.

Now on to changes on the fluke. I must feel like I'm getting close to being done, I keep thinking about my next piece!

Meisie
01-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Like those bubbles! :clap:

Meisie

az4ever
01-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks Meisie!

I ended up working on the bubble some more. Pushed the colors a bit.

I seem to have trouble loosing the quality of images I post when I shrink my files to fit the WC size requirements. I'm taking digital photos since this is 16x24. I tried this a little differently, maybe it will come out better. :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2006/71622-p28-29_wip__final.jpg

And here's a close up:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2006/71622-p28-29_wip__final_bubbles.jpg

CAULFIELD
01-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Awwwwww there's a heart bubble! :D looks great to me! What's the next one? :D

Paapu
01-20-2006, 03:04 PM
i want to poke and play with those bubbles:D beautiful!!!!!!

az4ever
01-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Paapu, I hope the kids wnat to poke and play too!

Nicole, You noticed! In the story she needs to follow her heart. So I'm tucking one a way in every page for her to follow.

Next...still need to get this whale right!

Gail

Looks like I figured out how to post a better image.

az4ever
01-24-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm ready for some C&C's on this one. I pushed the values and shading on the fluke and reworked it as much as I can. I couldn't change the overall form at this point. (Sprayed that pastel base long ago.) This was done primarily with the ground pastel again(Nupasel grays and a touch of blue). CP is longer sticking, although I used some one the edges. (it just sits on the surface at this point I'll have to spray with a final fix for sure.)

gail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2006/71622-p28-29_wip_whale.jpg

Paapu
01-24-2006, 11:46 PM
I never saw anything wrong and am not doing it now either:D :) lovely gail!

az4ever
01-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Thanks Paapu!
It always helps to have extra eyes to catch anything I might miss.

Gail

trudette
01-25-2006, 04:12 AM
:clap: this is so lovely , I can't stop looking at it.

az4ever
01-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks Trudette!

Sure hope I don't mess it up, but after sleeping on it I still wasn't happy with the anatomy on the whale so I'm reworking it again. I had a pair of expert eyes give me some sound advice. Good thing the pastel has been easy to move around.

Gail

az4ever
01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Now I'm calling it done! I think the anatomy on the whale reads better. Hope you all agree!

Gail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2006/71622-p28-29_color_final.jpg

Paapu
01-27-2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2006/31924-71622-p28-29_color_final.jpg

Gail this looks so good :) but I have a concern..Am sorry for saying this when u call it finished :rolleyes: ..the area inside the box seems to be attracting more attention since it has more sharper edges than the girl.. is it possible for u make a bit blurred??? or soften the edges.. since that pretty girl is the COF I think her egdes can be sharpened more than that of the whale. what say?

az4ever
01-28-2006, 09:14 AM
I do see what you mean Paapu. I probably can't do much with the edge on the bottom of the fluke, but could work on softening the bottom of the body. The darks looks darker here than they do in IRL. (I didn't photo this at the best time of day.) Anyway I'll give it some though and sleep on it.

Thanks,
Gail

emme05
01-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Gail, I'm new to CP, and just had to pop in to say, I have been fasinated by this watching it progress, it is just beautiful and so very well done. :)

Albert Wagner
01-28-2006, 12:16 PM
I still say that either the left fluke (whale's left, viewer's right) should be darkened to match the right, or the right should be lightened to match the left. They are both in the same plane regarding light.

az4ever
01-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks Michele! Albert, thanks for checking in on this, but I really don't have a problem with the flukes. The viewers left one is being shaded be the body as it turns and the right has light from above shining through. I had a number of photos with similar lighting. I think it adds the motion I was looking for.

gail

mauricar
01-30-2006, 11:28 AM
This has turned out just great. I am sure the children will want to reach out and touch it. Very impressive.

Fozbot
01-30-2006, 11:37 AM
i'm delighted w/everything thing about this! the whale fluke and the little girl are wonderful but it's the little touches like the bubbles and the small fish that make this so captivating.

az4ever
01-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks Midge and Fozbot, impressive and captivating sure sounds good to me!

Paapu, I slept on it. Spent about 30 seconds seeing if I could soften those edges. It's not going to happen. :rolleyes: There is no tooth left. Like I said, it's not as saturated IRL, so that edge just is not popping out at me.

When thinking of book design and composition I have to also consider text placement and a horizontal flow that makes the reader want "to turn the page". My intention was to have the whale lead the viewer in that direction. The comp. also has to work two ways, first as you see the whole picture on a double page spread, and second as 2 indiviual pages. So I'm posting this final as it would look with the text and "gutter" where the two pages meet.

I've now sprayed with a fixative and sent it off (nervously) to the AD!

Gail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2006/71622-final_resize_with_text.jpg

Paapu
01-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Gail I now understand why u positioned the whale's fin(is that what u call it :confused: ) in that direction.. i was thinking like it was leading my eye out thats why I wanted to soften it. But now I get the purpose.. this comp worked out great . When will u know the result? am equally impatient:D let us know when u hear the news frm them.. Goodluck:)

frida
01-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Looking wonderful, and very "booky"!!! :rolleyes:

Do you send the original ( :eek: ) to the AD or an image?

mauricar
01-31-2006, 08:51 PM
This is just great. You did well. I'll say a prayer that all goes well, and also keep my fingers crossed that the book is a hit and sells well.

az4ever
02-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Rachel, no not the orig. ( :eek: ) is right! LOL I emailed a jpeg to him. We have been emailing back and forth some.

Midge, keep up those prayers and crossed finger, something must be working.

Paapu, I'm doing the happy dance today!! Normaly I'd expect to wait quite awhile but I had a nice surprise in my email box today! I sent the image to him yesterday and got an email today! He wants me to do one more sample and send the manuscript and dummy book to him. He said he would love to work with me on this!! (Now, it still has to go before an aquisition commitee, but I'm not thinking about that right now.)

I'm on cloud nine here, :clap:
Gail

boobookat
02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
OH YES!!!!!! YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Dancing with you (but over here in Oregon)
Marci

Paapu
02-01-2006, 08:25 PM
wow gail that is so cool!!! Iam so happy for u!!((hugs)) :D :)
(joining in the happydance)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2006/31924-GirlDancing.gif

az4ever
02-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks for dancing with me girls!

Gail

catchlight
02-02-2006, 03:36 AM
Rofl, is there any emoticon or animation paapu doesn't have? hehe :)

Wow gorgeous Gail and a well deserved success :) Congrats!

az4ever
02-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Thank so much Wendy!!

It has been a long haul, so I'll be dancing for a while!
Gail

dan9000
02-02-2006, 05:23 PM
This is just a wonderful piece! Great on all counts -- the concept, the color, the little girl's great expression... I love it!

Dan

wet
02-02-2006, 05:40 PM
That is wonderful Gail. One less hurdle! Keep us posted.:wave: Wanda

pinkrybns
02-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Congrats Gail and good luck further! The comp and the page set-up makes perfect sense! Wonderful finish. :)

az4ever
02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks so much Dan, Wanda and Judy!

Gail

joysetc
02-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Absolutely fantastic! And the heart bubble adds to the fun of it :)

bobcat79
02-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Oh my, I've missed this thread and all the updates. I was scrolling through it and was thinking after each update, I think it's done. Then there would be some more work that was just fantastic. I really like the bubbles.

Wonderful work of art Gail. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

az4ever
02-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks for taking a look Greg. Sometimes I wondered if I'd ever get to call this one "done"! But it's now printed up on a promo sheet and in the mail to the AD.

And thanks for noticing the heart bubble Joyce!

marilyn h
02-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Wonderful news Gail. Getting your foot in the door is of most importance. Good for you.

az4ever
02-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks Marilyn! I'm keeping my foot wedged in that door and starting the next piece so I can get my other foot in too.
Gail