PDA

View Full Version : Flower Power 4 -Finished! Iris

graphicdiva
02-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Here is the second to last of the series. I have to hurry on this cause I am entering them in an Artshow in March-April-So no more slacking for me!:p
My last post I was asked for a demo of how I work so....
I rough out a drawing on scrap paper, when I'm happy with a rough outline I tape it to my window and put my good paper over top using the sunlight as a lightbox to trace it. I leave about 5 inches along the lefthand side to test colours mixed together and to make colour reference lists.

then I started on the drawing using light washes of Indigo,Ultramarine,violet,imperial violet Parma violet and mulberry. the first couple of layers I do small circular strokes but once the paper is completely covered i use broader more relaxed strokes.

I haven't burnished yet that will be my next step...

graphicdiva
02-14-2006, 07:38 PM
hmm...images never attached i'll try again...

graphicdiva
02-14-2006, 08:09 PM
I've burnished the layers with lilac and gone over them again with indigo,ultamarine,and violet. also made shadows for the dew drops...

Nitsa
02-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Looking fwd to seeing this one evolve.
New to CP myself and keep coming across "Burnish"....could you explain? :o

Fozbot
02-14-2006, 08:39 PM
you're so organized! this is gonna be a real treat to watch.:) i'm ready if you are.:D

graphicdiva
02-14-2006, 10:04 PM
thanks for posting Anita and Billie!
Anita- burnishing is when you take another coloured pencil or the colourless blender over top of layers that you have layed down already and use enough pressure to 'eat up' most of the tooth thats still left in the paper and blend the colours all together.

mauricar
02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
This is coming along so nicely. You are teaching others as we all watch.
Nitsa = Regarding your question: Burnish = a layer of a lighter color is blended forcefully into the pigment of previously applied colors. This blends them in the process. The result is creamy smoothness that has a waxy look and feel. (words parphrased from the book "Complete Colored Pencil Book") There is also a colorless blender that works very well.

mauricar
02-14-2006, 10:07 PM
LOL - we cross posted. But the answers are the same.

You really did a nice job.

Fozbot
02-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Christina, how large is this piece? also, remind me what your paper of choice is....please.

graphicdiva
02-15-2006, 01:06 AM
sorry Billie it's 11.5x11.5 on stonehenge...
mauricar great minds think alike!;)
Wendy was asking how I got my colours so smooth in my previous lilly piece... I do kinda of a vertical line stroke when two colours fade into eachother kinda like this...

catchlight
02-15-2006, 03:12 AM
Thanks for doing this Christina! It's going to be brilliant watching you put this together. I love your technique :D Iris' are also my favourite flower :)

TessDB
02-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Thank you for doing this, Christina!

Add me to the folks peeking over your sholder. Pass that popcorn over this way? I've brought the coffee. :D

Tess

NancyPH
02-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Christina, I hope you don't mind, but I'm copying all of this over to a word document so I can keep it as a tutorial. I want to refer to it when I do a flower, cause I want to do flowers as good as you! :D

This is wonderful!! I have to ask though. How do you decide what kind of crop to give a flower and do you take your own ref pics? I love the macro look of flowers, but it can be confusing deciding where to crop. Any pointers, tips, advice????

Chisaii
02-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Another Winner!! What fun to watch you create!!

Meisie
02-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Just pulling my chair up before leaving for the dentist :)

Meisie

frida
02-15-2006, 06:28 PM
I am following this step by step and taking notes. Thank you!!! :D

Clasje
02-15-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm also on the edge of my chair, watching!!! This is so informative and beautiful at the same time. Thank you Christina for doing this WIP-demo.
Looking forward to seeing this iris develop.

brynmr
02-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Coming along nicely Christina. :)

Amira
02-16-2006, 03:13 AM
Oh great - Flower Power demo :clap:

I'll be following closely, your flowers are sooooo wonderful and watching them 'grow' is a real treat!

Amira

lenkasch
02-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Christina, this is really beatiful! And thanks for the explanation of burnishing...
I was not sure what it is about and now I see I although I learnt it by heart :o)) .
Lenka

boobookat
02-16-2006, 11:19 AM
WOW! Thank you for such a concise description of how you work! I particularly enjoy peeks into other artists' processes. Helps me stretch a bit.

Your flower, now... its as beautiful as I know to expect when I open your threads- really wonderful.

Marci

graphicdiva
02-16-2006, 02:51 PM
thanks for posting everyone!!
Christina, I hope you don't mind, but I'm copying all of this over to a word document so I can keep it as a tutorial. I want to refer to it when I do a flower, cause I want to do flowers as good as you!

This is wonderful!! I have to ask though. How do you decide what kind of crop to give a flower and do you take your own ref pics? I love the macro look of flowers, but it can be confusing deciding where to crop. Any pointers, tips, advice????

Nancy I don't mind at all if you download it:)
When I do a crop I usually try about 5-8 different crops. I shrink them to thumbnails print them out onto one page and then start eliminating until I find my favorite one. Then I use many diffrent sources and draw what I like from all of them so i can come up with my own version(something I just started recently, I used to draw from one source before) this piece I am using 18 different photos. Some my own photos others from stock photo sites...

I included a few close ups of the strokes I use when blending colours. I turn my paper in different angles constantly so that the stroke is always going in a down position because i feel more comforatable that way.

graphicdiva
02-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I was also PM'd by someone wanting to know how I get such a clean looking signature and thought maybe other people might not know the 'trick' to that....
The trick to the signature is to impress the paper before you go over it with coloured pencil. Take a piece of tracing paper and a hard lead. Don't use a pencil that has just been sharpened use one that has the tip worn just a bit or it will rip right through the tracing paper.I use a 4H. After you impress the paper and you are going over that spot with colour put the coloured pencil on a bit of an angle so that it doesn't go inside the impressed lines that you have made.Also it helps if you use a coloured pencil that is a bit dull Then carefully with a sharp point clean up the edges....

graphicdiva
02-16-2006, 04:20 PM
okay here's my progress so far today...
those violets and yellows in the pedal were REALLY hard to blend!

Fozbot
02-16-2006, 06:46 PM
i would imagine they are! can you make mud w/colored pencil? BTW, this is looking amazing, Christina!

TessDB
02-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Looking excellent, as always Christina!

Couple of questions... When you're blending colors together, do you always put the two you're aiming for down first & then figure out what fills in the gap (like in the swatch you posted)? Or does that technique not work as well in certain situations?

The direction of your pencil strokes... Do you follow the contours of the area you're working in or do all the strokes go the same direction regardless of what area you're working on? Hope that's clear...

In your last update, it looks like you've used an undercoat of something. do you do a grisaille in light greys first? or ?

I'm making notes too. And eager for another update. Thank you again!
Tess

Chisaii
02-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Billie--I don't know about anyone else, but I've definitely made 'mud' from CP a few times!! Or, at least it was a combination that wasn't working or looked fairly similar to mud!!

Christina, this is just briming with life with each stroke!! You have a beautiful hand and your work is seamless!! Wow!!

Meisie
02-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Finally a few minutes to say how beautifully this is coming along Christina!
I love your yellow & Purple blending :clap:

Meisie

graphicdiva
02-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Looking excellent, as always Christina!

Couple of questions... When you're blending colors together, do you always put the two you're aiming for down first & then figure out what fills in the gap (like in the swatch you posted)? Or does that technique not work as well in certain situations?

The direction of your pencil strokes... Do you follow the contours of the area you're working in or do all the strokes go the same direction regardless of what area you're working on? Hope that's clear...

In your last update, it looks like you've used an undercoat of something. do you do a grisaille in light greys first? or ?

I'm making notes too. And eager for another update. Thank you again!
Tess

I don't always use this technique it really depends on the subject, colours being used etc...I just find this method easier when mixing colours that are harder to blend. I only do the strokes in that direction when blending colours. I don't like doing a grisaille first. mostly because I feel like I'm the only one who knows it's there, does it REALLY make that much difference in the overall finished piece that it requires all that time in doing it? Plus I'm not a very patient person I want to get to the 'fun' parts right away! There are probably lots of people who will argue about doing the grisaille first but that's just my personal view on it:)

Billie- I've made lots and lots of mud!!

Here is another update...
Thanks for looking!
Christina

graphicdiva
02-17-2006, 06:20 PM
to make the violet amd yellow petal(is it pedal or petal?) I first layered violet, violet blue, ultramarine and mulbery. The iris petal has a grainy look to it where you can see little bits of violet showing through the yellow so I used scotch tape to pull of most of the colour then went over it again with the washes of yellow...

Fozbot
02-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Christina, this has got to be the most detailed demo i've seen yet! very easy to follow. thanks!:)

frida
02-17-2006, 08:55 PM
I agree! Thank you so much for sharing this in such detail... :clap: I am rating the thread for sure! :cool:

bobcat79
02-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Christina, thanks so much for this thread. I have learned so much about how to lay color down and blending them together. This is really great stuff. I'm going to save this so that I can refer back to it. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

God's Delight
02-17-2006, 11:32 PM
I ,too, really appreciate this work in progress. You're really getting into the nuts and bolts of how you come out with such an extraordinary piece. It's looking beautiful so far.:clap:

catchlight
02-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Wow this is really nice Christina! Actually that sounds seriously understated! You work incredibly fast considering how detailed you are, it's just beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing your technique with us! I love those droplets!

Amira
02-18-2006, 04:55 AM
Christina - PERFECT demo (and flower of course).
Exactly the right scan at the right moment, easy to follow, all the info we need. Great! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/a115.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/b010.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/k020.gif
I rated this as well.

Amira

trudette
02-18-2006, 06:02 AM
Thanks for showing al these tricks and your iris is absolutley stunning!
:clap:

ams
02-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Lovely job on the flower and a wonderful tutorial too. I rated the thread, it belongs in the library!

I knew when I saw the title I was in for another treat. :D

Anne

Rosa Weitzel
02-18-2006, 10:15 AM
This is amazing, your water drops are "well what can I say" perfect. Your work is so worth watching.

Will keep checking back.

Rosa

piper2
02-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow, Christina, great tutorial. Except . . . it's making me have this weird feeling. Like itching. Wait, what's that little voice I hear chanting?

"You must try a macro flower -- You MUST try a macro flower!"

Are you putting subliminal messages into your posts?

:D

Meisie
02-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I think she is Maggie! I thought I was through doing macro flowers, but now I'm wondering....;)

Off to rate this :)

Meisie

graphicdiva
02-19-2006, 02:04 AM
Wow, Christina, great tutorial. Except . . . it's making me have this weird feeling. Like itching. Wait, what's that little voice I hear chanting?

"You must try a macro flower -- You MUST try a macro flower!"

Are you putting subliminal messages into your posts?

:D

MMWWWWAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!! you caught me Maggie! I am putting subliminal messages into my posts! And soon you will all be mine! I'll get you my little pretty and you're little dog todo too!!!!!:evil:

I didn't get very far today I had a first aid course that went ALL DAY!!!!:eek:
But I will post where I am.....
Thanks for posting everyone! and for rating this thread that's so awesome!
Christina

az4ever
02-19-2006, 03:06 AM
Although I haven't piped up, I've been popping in to check for updates. Great information Christina. And your work is absolutly stunning! Thanks for sharing your process.

Gail

Fozbot
02-19-2006, 01:51 PM
i'm still watching intently, Christina.:) i'm hoping you'll give us a little demo on how you do those great dew/rain drops!

chocolatyclaire
02-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Somebody close my mouth :eek:

piper2
02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Oohh . . . the subliminal messages are getting stronger -- stop that, Christina -- stop -- please, make a mistake so that I won't be forced to try a flower!

graphicdiva
02-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Maggie I think you need to listen to that inner voice and.....
DO A FLORAL!!!!!:evil:

Here is todays update...
sorry about the crappy scan I was in a hurry:)
Billie I will do a demo of a dewdrop for ya tomorrow when i have a little more time

catchlight
02-21-2006, 03:10 AM
I have no idea what else to say really but I kinda felt I had to say something! Wow, stunning.....wow!

Amira
02-21-2006, 05:34 AM
^^^ -> dito on that!

WOW !!!

Rita2479
02-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Just thought I'd chime in here...
I've already rated the thread and just wanted to say that this is absolutely incredible. I'd already taken a boo at some of your other threads/ works and they're awesome too. I, and I think eveyone else, really appreciates you sharing your work and technique with us Christina. Awesome stuff!
Quick question, do you burnish a lot? I just can't get over how smooth eveything looks!

Rita2479
02-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Ooops! Double post..

NancyPH
02-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Yes, Christina, that subliminal message is working ..... doooooo a floooooooooral! :eek:

Yay! :clap: Christina is going to do a demo of a dewdrop tomorrow. Can't wait! It's looking gorgeous, as usual!

..... isn't it tomorrow yet ........?

Paapu
02-21-2006, 01:33 PM
beautiful stunning awesome!! Iris is my fav:D ur work is really very inspiring!!!! thanks for taking time to explain everything so clearly and methodically :):clap: :clap:

graphicdiva
02-21-2006, 09:26 PM
thanks for posting guys:D
here is the dewdrop I promised Billie

the drop is on layers of goldenrod,yellow ochre,sunburst yellow and mineral orange. The shadow under the drop is goldenrod with a touch of black grape. The top of the drop has goldenrod and yellow orchre and the bottom half is cream and white to make it have that rounded look to it. Plus a tiny dot of white for the refection on the drop....

Rita:Yes I burnish a lot!

FaeLynn
02-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Christina!
Holy cow! This is unbelievable! I loooove the way you blended your purples and oranges and yellows together.
Irises are my favorite flowers, so I am really enjoying this tutorial!
I too have rated this thread. Thank you so much for taking the time to share how you do this fabulous work.
~Fae Lynn

kwk1189
02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
question about the drops, did you layer your white and cream colors first or last?

graphicdiva
02-22-2006, 01:45 AM
question about the drops, did you layer your white and cream colors first or last?

I layered the white and cream last.
Here is tonights update. My next update will be my finished version. Thanks for posting everyone and for your kind comments:D

Clasje
02-22-2006, 08:48 AM
This is absolutely stunning!!! You are so very very good at explaining how you get those beautiful colours to blend. Just fantastic, I'm in awe!
Thank you so much for this tutorial and also for the dew drop demo.
:D :clap: :clap: :clap: Excellent tutorial and that is how I rated it!

Fozbot
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
thanks SO much for the dewdrop demo, Christina!!! your iris is simply amazing!!:clap: :clap: i find it incredible that you managed to blend the yellow/purple so well and not get a horrible color. i rated this thread and bookmarked it.:)

Meisie
02-22-2006, 06:46 PM
aaaah every square millimeter full of luscious colour!

Meisie

graphicdiva
02-22-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm glad you guys liked my WIP and I hope I may have helped a few of you in the process!!
Well I am calling it done, although i'm sure I will find something to work on within it I always do!
Thanks for posting and the encouragement along the way!
Ta ta for now:wave:
Christina

Paapu
02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
beautiful and breathtaking!!!!!:clap: thanks for sharing all ur techniques and giving us all great pointers along the way. You sure work fast and furious:D (now am really having a sudden urge to do a flower with dew drops;) )

One smallllll nitpick do u think u can add more shadows between those yellow petals and the striped petals? coz the yello ones dont seem to be grounded. its of course a very tiny nitpick in a otherwise amazing piece.

Fozbot
02-22-2006, 09:17 PM
breathtaking is the perfect word to describe this! Christina, do you take your own ref photos? these macros are wonderful. such detail. i also used your method of indenting the paper for my signature and it worked like a charm. thanks!:)

Meisie
02-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Gorgeous Christina! :clap:

Meisie

TessDB
02-23-2006, 07:05 AM
.... too early ... Vocabulary failure ...

This is just *amazing* Christina!
And thank you so so much for walking us through! I've picked up some really great pointers.

hmmm... you said you had another to do. Show us that one too? please please pretty please?

Tess

CAULFIELD
02-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Beatiful Christina!

I got a copy of American Artist Drawing magazine! Congratulations again on that - I am so happy for you! & me too because now I have a little print of one of your drawings!

Nicole

Rosa Weitzel
02-23-2006, 10:17 AM
This just stops you in your tracks, its so well done and beautiful. I think if I was in a gallery and this was hung, I would stop and really savor its beauty. Thank you for sharing you way of making this flower come alive.

Rosa:wave:

Meisie
02-23-2006, 12:43 PM
I can't find that magazine here locally...not even the local Chapters has it :(

Meisie

az4ever
02-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Yup, breathtaking says it all! I'm going to Barnes and Noble today... I'll be looking for that magazine.

Gail

graphicdiva
02-23-2006, 03:31 PM
thankyou Paapu,Billie,Tess,Nicole,Rosa,charne and Gail!

Paapu-I took your advice and added stronger shadowing under the yellow petals. thank you you were right!
Billie-I usually download many different photos from different stock photo sites as well as take my own photos. Then I use all of them to come up with my own version.
Tess- I still have one more Flower to do in the series but my next artwork is going to be a graphite so I will be over in the drawing forum. but i will for sure do a WIP for my next CP:D
Hi Nicole haven't seen your pretty face around wetcanvas for ages! Where the heck have ya been:) That's cool that you found the magazine it hasn't been distributed to a lot of places in Canada yet.
Charne-Chapters in kamloops just got their's in yesterday maybe in a few days?
thanks again for posting
Christina:wave: (:lol: -hey look a new face I just had to use it hee hee)

NancyPH
02-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Thank you Christina for such an amazing WIP!!!! I've got it all saved and will be printing it out to refer to.

I started a flower of my own, though not the macro view I tend to prefer. It does, however, have dew drops on it. :D I also used your method of signing it. It worked beautifully, except for when the layers built up. Then I had to be super careful because the indentation started to get filled in.

Anyway, thank you soooooo much for showing us your techniques! BTW, do you use circulism throughout your painting or only on the first layer? I decided to se it throughout and boy does that take a long time!

piper2
02-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Wow, Christina. This is . . . really good. But you already know that. You can quit with the subliminal things, now, because I really need to do more horses for the show season. Not flowers. Not flowers. Not flowers. (Do I sound convinced?) :D

NancyPH
02-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Wow, Christina. This is . . . really good. But you already know that. You can quit with the subliminal things, now, because I really need to do more horses for the show season. Not flowers. Not flowers. Not flowers. (Do I sound convinced?) :D

No Maggie, you don't. I need to do more dogs, cats, and horses for show season too, but instead I'm working on a flower. :eek: I'd better get my act together and start on some fur!

trudette
02-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Truly beautifull , thanks so much for sharing.

Zephyri
02-24-2006, 05:30 AM
A lovely finished article and a great step by step. I can't get over how lovely and smooth everything looks, and how rich you get your colour! How big is the piece, if you don't mind me asking?

chocolatyclaire
02-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Just beautiful Christina - Your work is such an inspiration. I'll definitely be doing waterdrops soon! :thumbsup:

graphicdiva
02-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Thanks you guys I'm glad you liked it!
Nancy-That's great that you have started a floral!Maggie do a floral watch those dewdrops tho they can get very addictive!!...hmmm looks like those subliminal messages are working once again:evil:...and soon we will have Maggie...maggie you must do a floral mwaaa ha ha ha ha:evil:

I do the circular strokes only for the first layer or so.
as far as the signature thing it will get filled in if you are not careful around it. sometimes I take a really sharp CP and fill it in with a lighter colour. Usually one that is a lighter colour of whatever surrounds it.
Maggie it's about time you got off your butt and did a floral:evil:
Zephyri-this piece and all of the others in the series is 11.5''x11.5''