PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Tomorrow - Completed!

Chisaii
09-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Guess I'm a little on the quacky side these days!! Here's (yet again) :p another duck picture!! Here's 6 baby mallards and I would like to give a huge thanks to mdefeiter for the ref pic. (There's a lot of artistic license in this one!!:D)

Strathmore Bristol 400 series
Prismas, verithins w/dry brush method
Appx. 20 x 7"

Y'all know I'm slow to begin with, but the water on this one is really making it drag out. However, I'm learning a ton about how water flows.

For those of you that tag along on this one, I appreciate your patience (again) and C&Cs are always welcome.

Full piece with line drawing:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings1.jpg

Completed area:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings2.jpg

Close up of birds:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/62821-ducklingscloseup.jpg

Ref picture:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2006/62821-Ref_pic_by_mdefeiter.jpg

Chapa
09-03-2006, 03:42 AM
OHHH WOW Chisaii!!!
This soooo impressive...I was thinking about doing a drawing with water...but I think will stick around for this one first... :)

It really looks great already and please keep taking " artisitic liberties"!!! Those ducklings and the ripples look soooo good! I love the long horizontal format too!!! It really gives a sense of proximity to the little ducks and provides a sense of direction of their path in the water...

Aloha,
Super impressed in Honolulu :D
Ethel

PS how does the drybrush method work on pencils?

chocolatyclaire
09-03-2006, 06:35 AM
What an absolute BEAUTIFUL start Chisaii. I'll stick around paiently for the next update! :D That water is incredible. It looks extremely well done! :)

cindyv4
09-03-2006, 09:06 AM
I am also interested in what a dry brush method is and how it works?

Totally in awwwe of your water!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is going to be yet another museum quality work from you.:D

I'm in for the long haul.:smug:
Cindy

faula
09-03-2006, 09:22 AM
This is great! The ducks look really good, and the close up lets us see the lovely textures you have. I really like the reflections you have in the water, which is flowing nicely. Definitly looking forward to updates.

couturej
09-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Chisaii, this is looking fantastic! :) Those baby ducks are sooo cute! The colors you used for the water are perfect!

Rosa Weitzel
09-03-2006, 10:30 AM
ChisaiiYour feathers are so good, Im loving this piece. I've got my coffie and Im sitting here watching.

Rosa

wet
09-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Beautiful! Wow that water. I don't know how you kept it all straight. Wanda

RWSewell
09-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Your textures (particularly the water) are stunning and I applaud your incredible patience. I'll be checking in often!
:thumbsup: Rob

quickcat327
09-03-2006, 03:48 PM
'Six lil' ducks all in a row,looking for mom which way did she go ??"
This is charming, like the handling of the water and reflections I am envious of your ability to get it to look so real....Kevin

Stormgirl
09-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Absolutely stunning - I look forward to seeing this one grow :)

artfulscribe
09-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Definitely a case of taking a photo reference and improving on it 100%! It's a nice picture and all, but WOW...your rendering of it is so much more beautiful!! Can't wait to see another update!

Roxana

Chisaii
09-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Y'all are making me blush so badly!! Thank you doesn't seem like enough to say, but....thanks so much!

Ethel and Cindy, the dry brush method just means that after several layers of CP, I take a sturdy brush and brush over the colors making them blend together giving them a smoother transition, esp since I use a white surface I like to completely cover the surface. It also depends on the surface--Wallis paper and bristol are excellent for brushing (IMO).

With all the water in this one, I need all the help I can get!:lol: And I would like to extends kudos to the CP gurus when I first joined WC -- if they had not had all those projects and classes, I don't think I would have EVER tackled feathers, hair or water so aggressively!! (thank you all for the inspirations you gave me!)

I must admit, it AIN'T easy keeping that water organized and there's sooooooo much of it!:eek: What WAS I thinking?? I have to break it down into sections and figure out the heck is going on in each area. Worked on it for about 4-5 hours today and it doesn't look like I got very far at all! Doesn't help that I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive!!

The good news is that, judging from everyone's comments, it seems the water is turning out to look like, well, moving water!! I have to confess I was a bit concerned if it looked like moving water or not!!:confused: And the colors are, er, what can I say, I really like throwing in colors!!

It's always nice being able to see our work on a post becuz I always see things I missed while working on it. Managed to fix a few booboos and will post another update tomorrow.

You guys are the best!!:clap:

dotb
09-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Wonderful! And they are soooo cute!

Rita2479
09-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Chisaii this looks like it's going to be great. I love how you've done the water so far (tedious I'm sure! :D) and the little babies looks so soft, I'll be watching this one to see how it unfolds.

Rita

catchlight
09-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Ooh Chisaii I get all excited when I see you've posted a new WIP and this is no exception. It's wonderful!!!

Chisaii
09-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for hanging around, y'all and appreciate your very kind words and support!!

Gotta tell ya, after 6 hrs or so on Sunday, it doesn't look like I've gotten very far but as I said, that water is rather tricky and I have to sort it out as I go. The water around the top of the 3rd duckling, the lower portion of the water reflections and starting the 4th duckling is all I was able to handle before calling it a day. Think I dreamt about water waves last night!:rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings3.jpg

Until next time....:wave:

Meisie
09-04-2006, 02:34 PM
This is simply delightful! :D

Meisie

Herb
09-04-2006, 03:12 PM
It all looks wonderful, Chisaii! I guess I'm going to have to find something else to practice on so maybe...some day...if I live long enough, I might be able to do something as beautiful.

douglass
09-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I am watching this with great interest! So far it is absolutely stunning, and I am busy working on a piece with a fast flowing river, so I am intrigued as to how you are handling the water... I know what it feels like to be dreaming about ripples and waves... your ducklings are adorable!
Lynette

Cait'sMum
09-04-2006, 03:50 PM
chisaii...i am trying to analyze this wip and learn as much as i can from it. you are a dream for sharing it with us.

i have run out of supurlatives so i will just say it's wonderful. :clap: makes me think of the song i used to sing with my kids and now sing with little danny

:music: six little ducks that i once knew
fat ones, skinny ones, fair ones, too.
and the one little duck with the feather on his back
he led the others with a quack, quack, quack!:music: :music: (done best when waddling up the street to the tune, lol)

how i wish i were a little mouse and could watch you work...(let's see, i want to live in tommy's closet, be a mouse near you...i desperately need a workshop where i can actually see work being done! :p )

georgia

Delofasht
09-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Excellent work, Chisaii. I review your work often for it's technical accuracy. The ripples are absolutely phenomenal, a wonderful example of how color is reflected in water. The ducklings have so much more color than the photo too, which is a feat in and of itself, there's so much detail that you have brought out in they are simply stunning. I love the use of purples and blues in the water... it's like an complex jigsaw puzzle that's being put together with varying shades and hues.

Keep up the great work. This is already a reference piece for me to learn from for the water that I do in many of my paintings.

- Del

Chisaii
09-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for dropping by, Meisie! :wave:

It all looks wonderful, Chisaii! I guess I'm going to have to find something else to practice on so maybe...some day...if I live long enough, I might be able to do something as beautiful.

Ohmygosh!! That's sooo nice of you! Wow!! Thanks Herb!

Lynette, don't know if this helps you out any but if it does, great!! Let me know what you do so I can do it again, ok:lol:

Georgia, I'm not very good at explaining what I do but it's nice to know that ppl still appreciate it!

Del, uh oh! The pressure's on now!! Review for technical accuracy!!! :eek: This one is a bit of a challenge alrighty!! I'll try not to disappoint!!

Delofasht
09-05-2006, 12:17 AM
I doubt that you could disappoint, enjoy your challenge... Perhaps some day here soon I'll start scanning my own pieces. While not nearly as fantastic as yours, they are alright. I have gone about choosing subject matter much higher than my current skill... but hey that's how we push ourselves to be better right?

Keep up the great work.

- Del

NancyPH
09-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Ahh, so this is the little ducklings that quack to you! I didn't see this before Chisaii. So sorry. It's coming along swimmingly. *snort* :D Okay, okay, I'll stop. Really though, it's beautiful. I've only handled water in one pic so far, and it wasn't pretty. Love what you're doing with this. It's just gorgeous - the texture of the ducklings, the glossiness of the water, it's like seeing the little duckies swimming right in front of me. I just want to reach out and pet them ....

piper2
09-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Whoo, nice, Chisaii. I'm going to sign on for the ride so that I can see if you go crazy from the ripples. If it happens, I have to be alble to say that I was there! :evil:

AbbyAllen
09-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Woweee, what a lovely piece! I adore the way you're rendering the water. Its so silky and alive (who'd have thought that could be a description for water?!)

I can't wait to see this completed.

Chisaii
09-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi all:wave:

Sorry for my spotty participation lately. We've been going thru some unexpected medical emergencies recently and my concentration has been elsewhere. :rolleyes:

As if this piece isn't going s-l-o-w enough, I was able to get a little bit more done. Added a fourth duckling and some more water and reflections.

Appreciate anyone that is still hanging around watching.

The left side of the water is not that washed out in rl and the right hand side is not that dark. If I weren't so lazy I'd go outside and take the pictures (since it is another bright beautiful and HOT day!!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings4.jpg

Closeup of water/reflections:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings4closeup.jpg

Will try to be more diligent and get this done in the next decade!

Herb
09-10-2006, 04:39 PM
I'm still watching with admiration, Chisaii.

piper2
09-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah, Chisaii, this is no good. Too perfect.

Needs more swearing and erasing, methinks.

Chapa
09-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Wow Chisaii,
this looking ohhh... so sweet!! I can't decide which one I prefer the ducklings or the water...the reflections and the ripples are absolutely perfect!!!!:clap:

catchlight
09-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Gobsmacked, that's what I am, gobsmacked. Sorry to hear about your medical problems though Chisaii but awfully amazed by your drawing. Fantastic.

mdefeiter
09-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Hi Chisaii!
Glad you like my photo :) You are doing an absolute wonderful job on the ducklings and the water. So colourful! I absolutely admire how you are rendering the water with sooo much patience and eye for detail.
Simply gorgeous!
:clap::clap::clap:
Mariska

ams
09-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Chasaii, this is soooo gorgeous. I love the effect you are getting with the dry brush technique. The feathers and the water have a softness that I love.

Hope your medical emergencies are getting better.

Anne

coffee-lin
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
such a challenging reference and u pulled it off flawlessly!
i've always wanted to try Strathmore Bristols. but i have no idea which one i should pick ^^; are u using the regular or the plate surface for this?
and, pardon my noobiness, but whats a dry brush method ^^;
now i'm more eager to see ur completed piece more than mine :p

Glenspey
09-16-2006, 01:40 AM
This is stunning Chissai, I hadn't seen the start but I will be here until the finish. The water is perfect

Gayle

beachwalker
09-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Wow, Chisaii, you do have a way with water! Beautiful piece!

Chisaii
09-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your checking in and commenting.

I've actually been laid up in bed for a solid week with the killer of all sinus infections and laryngitis on top of that!! Didn't accomplish a darn thing! Will try to work on this again this week so y'all will have an update.

piper2
09-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Laryngitis? But I heard you just fine in my thread this morning. . . . :evil:

Weezy
09-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh no! Definitely not good.....you cannot let those things get you down.

" (There's a lot of artistic license in this one!!)"= Chisaii
I love when people do this! Its when the creativity flows. And its so much more yours when its from your eye, hand, and heart . Go Chisaii! But do get better first.

eaprescott
09-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Wow, I hadn't seen this thread before. Wendy may be gobsmacked, I'm blown away - like dust only faster. And, thank you so much for the close up of the water. Really, how many colors have you used? Looks like the whole box. I am so impressed - wish I could do as well.:clap: :clap:

Ann

Meisie
09-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Glad to have you back....sorry you were hurting :(

Meisie

Stormgirl
09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
chisaii...i am trying to analyze this wip and learn as much as i can from it. you are a dream for sharing it with us.

i have run out of supurlatives so i will just say it's wonderful. :clap: makes me think of the song i used to sing with my kids and now sing with little danny

:music: six little ducks that i once knew
fat ones, skinny ones, fair ones, too.
and the one little duck with the feather on his back
he led the others with a quack, quack, quack!:music: :music: (done best when waddling up the street to the tune, lol)

how i wish i were a little mouse and could watch you work...(let's see, i want to live in tommy's closet, be a mouse near you...i desperately need a workshop where i can actually see work being done! :p )

georgia

I'm positive this is the same tune as the one I know, but my words are different:

Five little ducks went out one day
Over the hill and far away
Mama duck said "Quack, quack, quack, quack!"
But only four little ducks came back!

With hand movements (fingers representing the ducks and the other hand representing mama duck!) and so on until there are no ducks, but she quacks again and they all come home!

Chisaii, this is what I aspire to. I hope one day to be able to do something even half as good, and will practice diligently :) Sorry to hear you're not well: I've just gotten over a shocking case of bronchitis, so I have much sympathy!

catchlight
09-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Chisaii you're a wonder! I hope you feel better soon, sinus infections suck and laryngitis is worse still, I can't stand not being able to talk!

loralee55
09-18-2006, 10:09 PM
I just came acros this WIP just now and all I can say is WOW your colors and techneic and well just every thing is wonderful
loralee55

graphicdiva
09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
beautiful job so far!
the water looks really interesting to draw:)
Christina

beachwalker
09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I've actually been laid up in bed for a solid week with the killer of all sinus infections and laryngitis on top of that!! Didn't accomplish a darn thing! Will try to work on this again this week so y'all will have an update.

Lookin' forward to your update, Chisaii. You have a gorgeous piece going.:thumbsup:

piper2
09-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Don't come close to this thread! She's obviously infectious!

Chisaii
09-20-2006, 10:46 PM
It's safe now!!! The infection factor has been eliminated!!!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2006/62821-happy_dance2.gif

All of your wonderful comments are sooooo appreciated!

Now that I'm feeling back in the pink :heart: I've been able to work on these little guys again. Yes, Maggie, you heard me whisper but now I'm back to MY OUTDOOR VOICE AGAIN!!!

Coffee-lin, dry brush method just means using a stiff dry brush to move the colors around and push it into the white tooth of the paper. It also blends colors nicely and can give a very smooth looking effect. I use a brush on most of my work anymore. Some ppl use stencil brushes or stiff or medium brushes, depends on what you like.

Ann, don't blow away too far! Let's see, to make the majority of the water I've only used about 10 or 12 colors: French Greys 30%, 50% and 70%, Slate Grey, Indigo blue, black grape, blue violet lake, cloud blue, lilac, light cerulean blue, deco pink, blush pink and a dab here and there of greyed lavender, peach and lemon yellow or whatever color strikes my fancy at the moment:p

Stormgirl, that tune sounds familiar too!! Ahh, little duckies are sooo cute!!:p

Wendy, I know what cha mean! My husband seems very depressed since my voice came back--doesn't wanna chat anymore!!!:lol:

I know, I know, doesn't look like I've gotten much further but I am really taking my time on this to get it 'just right' - the brown/orange reflections are proving to be a lot of fun....hmmmm, esp when those little water droplets and sun reflections are involved.

Again, I apologize that the left side looks washed out--the water hls and shadows are nicely balanced in rl.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings5closeup2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings5closeup.jpg

Don't hesitate to point out anything that looks out of place or weird or whatever!:)

brynmr
09-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow. Nice!! Nothing out of place as far as I can see Chizz. Beautiful.

Delofasht
09-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Wow Chisaii, this is getting really good... the waves look insanely well constructed. Wonderful detail and color, amazing to say the least... take your time and do it right. "Anything worth doing is worth doing well." I can't remember who told me that but I find it's meaning deeper and deeper each time I do a piece. I'm going to have some time tomarrow to get to work and I might be able to get a little extra done on my creek scene that I had to put on hold for about a year (yeah a year... had to take a job as a server for quite some time and never seemed to have time or be awake or be home to work on it for some reason), but I have gotten more done in the past couple days than I had when I had started it. I'm getting faster too which makes me quite happy but not so fast that I'm making any mistakes... think I might finally be finding a system in which I can work well.

If I can just find some inexpensive stiff bristle brushes to work with (I know there are probably some at my local Walmart or something but I really hate going there... really hate it) then I might be able to get some work going really fast. I tried the dry brushing on Stonehenge with one brush, just a petal which turned out good and was amazingly fast to do. Dry brushing makes the process so much faster... so, so, so, so much faster.

Talk to ya's later,

(yeah I'm longwinded tonight)

- Del

Stormgirl
09-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Chisaii, I'm hoping this isn't too presumptious, but would you be willing to do a little step-by-step of a tiny portion of the waves? I'd just like to know how you put the colour down: I can see the overall effect (which is blowing me away!) but I seem to have a mental blank as to just how you're doing it!

Oh, and so glad you're feeling better!! :D

Amira
09-21-2006, 04:17 AM
Chisaii - good to know you're well again... and drawing :clap:

This is such an incredible piece, I love seeing it develop... and I don't even mind if it takes some time (strange...?) Those little ones look so soft and cuddly....

Let's see, to make the majority of the water I've only used about 10 or 12 colors: French Greys 30%, 50% and 70%, Slate Grey, Indigo blue, black grape, blue violet lake, cloud blue, lilac, light cerulean blue, deco pink, blush pink and a dab here and there of greyed lavender, peach and lemon yellow or whatever color strikes my fancy at the moment:p

Thanks so much for listing the colours. Which reminds me there's a The Colour Pencil Recipe Book (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286988) in the Library... how about adding to it???

Amira

ArtyLady
09-21-2006, 05:13 AM
This looks brilliant! Congratulations. Love the water, the feathers, everything

Chisaii
09-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks Tommy! Appreciate you droppin by and keeping me on the straight and narrow, er..., wavy!

Hi Del:wave: Appreciate it!! You can be longwinded any ol' time ya want to!! Or shortwinded, whatever mood strikes you!:wink2: If I just keep reminding myself to look at the shapes of the H20, it seems to draw itself half the time.

Sure Stormgirl, Thanks so much and I'd be happy to put in a little water demo.

Amira, that is so nice of you to say!! (IMHO) it seems to be coming out pretty well considering each time I tackle one of the babies I start getting nervous. Since I haven't done feathers or fuzzy very often this overwhelming sense of "you're really gonna mess this duck up big time" comes over me:lol: (I get premature seasickness when I think of doing the water......:o )

If you think it would be beneficial, I'll add it to the color recipe thread.

Artylady, ah shucks!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2006/62821-blushing.gif "Brilliant"? :eek: (you don't know me very well, do you???) Not a word my DH would use to describe me:lol:

Will try to post another update on Fri. The water demo will hopefully be done on the weekend.

till later:wave:

Weezy
09-21-2006, 10:05 AM
With a casein swan piece on my drawing board, I will be watching for your demo Chisaii......and thanks for doing it. Regardless of the medium, the approach will have value.:thumbsup:

piper2
09-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Mmmm, it's really looking good with that dark reflection in the water.

Have you thought about using a dark green in the duckies' darkest areas?

Chisaii
09-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Mmmm, it's really looking good with that dark reflection in the water.

Have you thought about using a dark green in the duckies' darkest areas?

yes Maggie-meister, I've 'thot' about it.......http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2006/62821-confused-smiley-013.gif
Gut feeling or your "let's throw this color in cuz it's kewl" personality part?:D

piper2
09-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Do I have to choose between them?

Chisaii
09-23-2006, 05:30 PM
As requested, here's a small demo on how I'm working the water in this. I'm not certain why these seem a bit blurry but I hope it's not too bad.

Using French Grey 30% I start to lay in the most apparent values of the water. F.G. is not used on all the waves. On the darker reflections, I start laying in Burnt Ochre and Black Grape, mainly to keep straight on where I am in this maze.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/62821-water2.jpg

Laying Slate Grey over the FG 30% starts developing more definition and value.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/62821-water3.jpg

It is not overly clear but I've also layered in some lite Cerulean blue, lilac, deco pink (mostly in the hl areas), blush pink and blue violet lake to give more definition and variety in the colors of the water ripples.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/62821-water4.jpg

Now I start layering in more of the same colors above and continue deepening and developing the overall look to the dark reflections by adding dark umber, terra cotta, vermillion red, and black grape. On the water, esp where the darker areas will show up, I've included indigo blue and black grape. After several layers, now I take the dry brush and blend these colors together trying to delete as much of the paper as possible (those little white dots that appear w/o complete coverage) which gives a smooth glassy look to the water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/62821-water5.jpg

Finally, I start to work on the hls in the water. I do not want the paper suface to be used as the water hls simply because they are not that white. Using cloud blue I fill in various areas of the water and burnish other areas then take white and do the same thing over the cloud blue. Other areas are burnished with light pinks, greyed lavendar or whatever lighter color needs to be applied.

Taking the brush I blend the colors together again and just continue working the areas by constantly tweaking edges, shadows, hls and colors until I'm satisfied with it and move on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/62821-water6.jpg

If an area doesn't look right or needs more drastic editing, I use my electric eraser to clean up the area and redo it. Right now this area of water seems too purple-ish to me and I will revise the colors making it blend in with the rest of the water.

Please let me know if I clearly explained these steps. 'Teaching' others is not my strong suit.

Altho I will continue to work on this little area, here's the overall pic update.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings6.jpg

Stormgirl
09-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Chisaii, I think you taught that remarkably well! Thank you so much for your demo, that opened my eyes a lot to how you work :) I can't wait to see this when you're done.

faula
09-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Thats a great demo! Thank you so much for the detailed shots of the waves, it is very helpful. :D

couturej
09-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Chisai, wonderful explanation for rendering water! Thank you! :) I'll be saving this one. Your piece looks great!

Chapa
09-23-2006, 08:44 PM
WOW Chisaii this so absolutely perfect!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
The ducklings are so good!! but boy that water!!!!:eek:

Thanks so much for the detail information and the closeups....your work is so delicate and so powerful at the same time!!! I just can't get over it!

I have a ref photo with water ripples that I have been really wanting to do, this helps a lot, it has given me stuff to think about and practice (maybe sometime I'll try my ripples, not quite there yet! :o ) (but it's great to see you do water!!!:cat:)

Glad to know that you are feeling better and thanks for sharing this amazying piece with all of us!!!
Aloha,
Ethel

roogrew
09-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Beautiful work Chisaii, absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see this develop! How are you feeling?
sandi

Jomitzi
09-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Such realistic water, it has been very helpful to see how you create it. Thanks for taking the time. This is coming along so beautifully and I love how the ducklings appear to be damp. Dont know how you managed it but ya did.:thumbsup:
Jo

ArtyLady
09-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Thanks for sharing your technique/demo. Much appreciated when artists don't mind sharing.

Chisaii
09-24-2006, 09:38 PM
You are all certainly welcome to the info and demo. If it helps in any way, that's great and I wish you luck with your future water attempts. Actually, the beginning of this water process came from the Colored Pencil Solution Book by Janie Gildow and Barbara Newton and I expanded my own colors from that.

After reworking the water area more here's an update and another update on the complete piece:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2006/62821-final_demo.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2006/62821-ducklings7.jpg

I'm feeling 100% again and appreciate everyone's kind wishes!! Thanks!

Weezy
09-25-2006, 10:48 AM
This is invaluable! I am definitely rating this thread, and would recommend that others do as well. Thanks for taking the time to do the step-by-step Chisaii! You're a gem!

NancyPH
09-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Chisaii, I do believe you have outdone yourself on ths one!! :clap: You're doing an incredible job on it. Absolutely beautiful!!

KathyA
09-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Chisaii-(SIGH!!!) Don't know what to add. This is such a tremendously beautiful piece of work. Love how the water shimmers and shines. And thank you very much for sharing your process for the water!
Kathy

Amira
09-25-2006, 11:51 AM
This is invaluable! I am definitely rating this thread, and would recommend that others do as well...

Definitely! - gret demo!!!

Amira

Scott Daryn Tillett
09-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Chisaii, This is superb....this is one of my favorites so far. You really have a grasp on those pencils:)
Scott
www.scottdtillett.com (http://www.scottdtillett.com)

kastaylor
09-25-2006, 12:06 PM
:clap: Wonderful piece. I cannot stop looking at it everytime I log on to wc. You said you got some of your instruction from this book Colored Pencil Solution. What other resources and or courses have you taken to get to this mastery of your medium? Thank you for sharing your insight into this beautiful process. It is truly facinating! Much better than watching a movie!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kas Taylor:thumbsup:

Chisaii
09-25-2006, 01:31 PM
:clap: Wonderful piece. I cannot stop looking at it everytime I log on to wc. You said you got some of your instruction from this book Colored Pencil Solution. What other resources and or courses have you taken to get to this mastery of your medium? Thank you for sharing your insight into this beautiful process. It is truly facinating! Much better than watching a movie!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kas Taylor:thumbsup:

Thank you so much Kas!! I'm self taught and have been involved with art in some form or fashion as far back as I can remember. Been doing CPs since the early '90s and as the old saying goes, "practice, practice......"

I probably have every CP book (except Cecile Baird's new one) that has been on the market and use them for inspiration, education and enjoyment!

Coming from you Scott and Nancy, I'm honored!

Amira, you've made my week!! Thanks!!

You are so welcome, Kathy!! My goodness, such praise!!

Louise, that's so sweet! Maybe now I'll be braver and post more demos:lol:

Weezy
09-25-2006, 02:06 PM
No guts, no glory, Chisaii! Post away.....

I am up to my eyeballs in a new medium (casein) and posting my very first WIP in that forum. Don't have any idea what the heck I am doing....just winging it. But its water, so your WIP was definitely helpful. Thank you.:)

Paapu
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
oooo so cute chisaii!!! I am gonna be honest and say that I haven't read thru the whole thread, just ur final update . I promise to read thru and post once again:) .

Amira
09-25-2006, 06:12 PM
:evil: :evil: :evil:
I am up to my eyeballs in a new medium (casein) ...
Hmmm... strange mental image.... isn't casein made with white cheese (kind of, it's called quark in German)??? hmmm... up to the eyeballs in white cheese... sound.... interesting? :rolleyes:
Well, Cleopatra used to bath in milk, so why not bath in white cheese??? :angel: :evil:

I'll pop over to the casein forum....

Amira

CAULFIELD
09-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Beautiful Leslie! The dark bits really make it work!

piper2
09-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Okay, can I ask a pressing question? Which ducky is your focal point?

Chisaii
09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Okay, can I ask a pressing question? Which ducky is your focal point?

The one I'm just finishing up on-the 5th one (or the second in front). His (?) markings are darker than the others and maybe I'll make the front ducky darker too :rolleyes:

Thinking that one would focus on Mr. 1st and 2nd duckies following the water direction to the left side http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2006/62821-scratching_head.gif Of course that takes your eye right off the piece but I was never one for following rules

piper2
09-27-2006, 10:04 AM
Well, I was just thinking, right now I definitely don't feel drawn to a definite focal point so you might be thinking about things like putting brighter spots of color in the reflections beneath your Focal Ducks (don't abbreviate that or it gets bad) to really emphasize that they're where you start your visual journey in this particular pond.

Chisaii
09-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Great suggestion, Maggie! It is rather hum-drum (which I've been fighting for a while now) and the reflections are definitely an area for emphasis!

BTW, tried the dark green in the ducks and it just didn't sit well w/me. Some of us just don't have that marvelous "vivid color" hormone like others do (hint, hint). Guess I'm more prone to creating mundane subjects w/little color excitement....

piper2
09-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Are you calling me hormonal?! :eek:

You know I'm just pulling hard critiques out of my brain because I want to look useful -- it really is beautiful the way it is.

Chisaii
09-27-2006, 11:30 AM
You know I'm just pulling hard critiques out of my brain because I want to look useful -- it really is beautiful the way it is.

Don't back peddle on me woman!! You have an excellent eye and your suggestions are....worthy/valid/accurate/valuable/admirable/choose an adjective...

You make me work harder and it's much appreciatedhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2006/62821-bow_to_you_2.gif

piper2
09-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Opinionated?

Where the HECK do you find those emoticons, Chisaii?!

Meisie
09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Quote : "Guess I'm more prone to creating mundane subjects w/little color excitement...." it makes for peacful work with a certain atmosphere. Some of us would like to pull that off without having to resort to sepia limited palettes ;)

Love that head scratching emoticon :D

Meisie

Rosa Weitzel
09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow! This is so amazing, I love your baby ducks and water they flow, the water is a joy to look at. I will keep checking back. Thanks for the WIP

Rosa:thumbsup:

wet
09-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I just LOVE that water!! I would have been cross eyed. Beautifully done.:thumbsup: Wanda

Chisaii
09-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Er, opinionated....is....probably a good adjective....(how does one tactfully tell another that yes, you are....maybe....kinda....opinionated) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2006/62821-blushing2.gif but in a good way!!

Amira is to blame for those great smilies since she started using them. I practically had to take away her chocolate and force her to tell me. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2006/62821-dancing_devil.gif Hopefully, she won't get mad at me for sharing but try going here http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php

She's also probably one of the few ppl to be able to read it!! Fortunately, everyone can read cartoons!!!

Thanks Meisie and Rosa!!

That's probably why it's taking so long Wanda. My eyes are really strained after 2-3 hrs of looking thru a magnifying glass and figuring out where all those pieces go http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2006/62821-cant_believe_what_I_see.gif

piper2
09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
So AMIRA's the one to blame, eh . . . .

Amira
09-28-2006, 05:58 AM
So AMIRA's the one to blame, eh . . . .

ok, ok.... I confess.... mea culpa....

I was trying to get away... http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/konfus/c060.gif ...hide somewhere... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/verschiedene/n040.gif ...
but she'd find me, threaten me http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/boese/a055.gif ... trying to bribe me ... http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/nahrung/h025.gif ... or just get me drunk. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/nahrung/a017.gif

So after some thorough contemplation ... http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/konfus/e055.gif I gave in....

No honestly, she just asked me... enjoy!

Chisaii
10-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Quack quack quack!!

Finally finished this despite breaking my glasses and using an old pair that I couldn't see out of...:lol:

Used white acrylic on the small hls. My photography skills are severely lacking. Took this in natural light but it doesn't look right-seems a bit browner than usual and the details don't show up well at all.

Will have to let this sit and take another peek in a few days. For now, I'm done and these little guys are going to have to find a new mama! Thanks for hanging in there everyone.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/62821-ducklingscloseup_final1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/62821-ducklingscloseup_final2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2006/62821-ducklings_final.jpg

piper2
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful, Chisaii. I cannot even think of anything sarcastic to say. You drew the eye to that lead duckling wonderfully.

catchlight
10-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Fanflamintastic I think! I can't wait to see a good photo cos it's jawdroppingly fantastic as it is!!!

ArtyLady
10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
This is absolutely gorgeous! I love it all, particularly the ripples in the water. WOW you are so talented.

ValorieCox
10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Wow, this is such a stunning piece. I'm really happy to see this thread with 5-stars. Congratulations on the completion! Val

roogrew
10-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Everyone has said it all, so dito. Way to go! and congrats!

sandi

dotb
10-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Dot says ditto, too! It is beyond outstanding!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chapa
10-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Wonderful! Fantastic!!! Been said already!!! but can't help it!!!
Each duckling has his/her own disticnt personality yet they all belong together so well!!!
It is truly stunning!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Five stars for sure!!!
Aloha
Ethel

Terry Wynn
10-03-2006, 09:39 PM
This is beautiful, Chisaii. The ducks are each awesome but the water is to die for!

Terry

joannd
10-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh my gosh!! I can only echo what the others said, but I couldnt look at this and not comment on the finish. The whole thing is to die for! You're quite an artist Chisaii.
JoAnn

NancyPH
10-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Wow Chisaii!!! :eek: Wait, I need to pick my chin up off the floor ........... dang girl, that is absolutely gorgeous and so incredibly photo-realistic!!! Just ... WOW!!

Weezy
10-04-2006, 01:38 AM
Now if this doesn't get to some CPSA exhibit/contest you've lost the bubble.
GORGEOUS. Simply gorgeous.

beachwalker
10-04-2006, 02:09 AM
I'm with you, Weezy. Sure looks like a winner to me.:thumbsup:

Congrats on a stunning finish, Chisaii!

Stormgirl
10-04-2006, 04:05 AM
This is incredible Chisaii, and it's been an absolute pleasure watching your work on it :)

Rita2479
10-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Wow Chisaii!! :eek:
What more is there that could possibly be said? Wow! Congrats on completion.
Wow...(I gotta stop that...)

Rita

Delofasht
10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Congratulations on finishing this incredibly magnificent, phenomenal, insanely intricate piece. It's a testament to the beauty that can be attained with colored pencil, and by far one of the best pieces I have ever seen. Thank you for finishing it and thanks for the step-by-step on the water... it proves most useful each time I read it over.

- Del

mauricar
10-04-2006, 07:38 AM
As always, you do fantastic work. Thanks so much for the information on the water. I will print it out and try it. Glad you are feeling better, and could take us along for the wet ride.
Midge

gordoiye
10-04-2006, 07:47 AM
wonderful work, chisaii - love the warm colours

cheers,
gord

CAULFIELD
10-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Gorgeou Leslie!

Chisaii
10-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Ok, Ok, y'alll got me grinning so wide that I look like a crazed psycho and my DH keeps asking me what the heck I'm smilin' about!!!

We all thank you so very very much!! (including the lil guys!!) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-baby_duck.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-baby_duck.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-baby_duck.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-baby_duck.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-baby_duck.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-baby_duck.gif

The more I looked at those posted pics the more I didn't like them. Sorry for reposting but these are much closer to rl than the others one--well, almost.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-final_rl1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-final_rl2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2006/62821-final_rl.jpg

Well I know I did somethin' right this time, even Maggie isn't making any comments!!!:eek:

couturej
10-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Chisaii, Wow, those baby ducks are so cute and the water looks fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap:

wet
10-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Beautiful fininsh!!! :clap: Wanda

talia_sparkle
10-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Absolutely amazing Chisaii! :clap:

It looks like a photograph! The water takes my breath away.

So much detail! And they're such fluffy ducklings!

Dave F
10-04-2006, 01:20 PM
This is incredible! Such detail. It's beautiful!
Dave

Meisie
10-04-2006, 01:24 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wonderful!

Meisie

faula
10-04-2006, 01:28 PM
This turned out wonderful. The water is amazing!! You really should enter this into a competition.

KathyA
10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Chisaii-you must be incredibly proud of this!! It is just so wonderful!
Kathy

TessDB
10-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Wow-- can't believe I missed out on the progress of this!

Chisaii, it's fabulous. Jaw-dropping-jealosy-inspiring-despair-inducing-courage-creating fabulous.

Sooooo... what are you entering it in? :D

Tess

frieda L
10-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Chisaii, this is incredible work! I agree it should be entered in a nice competition... , just amazing.
frieda

Chisaii
10-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Y'all are so supportive and your comments are extremely appreciated!!

Since the hls are acrylic maybe I could try the "Explore This!" competition!!

Thanks so much for all your kind words.

Scott Daryn Tillett
10-06-2006, 11:13 AM
WOW! EXCELLENT JOB! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . You have to be extremely proud of this. You should enter this into something. It will be a sure winner.
Scott

frida
10-06-2006, 12:49 PM
wonderful piece of work chisaii! :clap: the water ripples and reflections are a visual joy to get lost in, and the whole has a great sense of texture and movement... the softneness of the feathers is superb!

sorry i am late to add stars! thank you for the demo.

Katydid15
10-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Simply beautiful!:clap: I love the reflections. They're so cute (she squeals):rolleyes:

cindyv4
10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
It's all been said, and with little ones, not only has my spelling gone, my vocabulary has as well. I can only say thank you so much for sharing, stepping us through it, and letting us enter this remarkable process.

I want to hear about all the awards, recognition and awe you get from this!!!!.
I would be amazed if you didn't.

Thank you, thank you again!!

Cindyv

coffee-lin
10-07-2006, 11:32 PM
this has got to be my favorite CP drawing to date. truly beautiful, Chisaii!! :clap::clap::clap:

mdefeiter
10-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Hi Chisaii!
What can I say ... the little duckies turned out beautiful! They look so soft. Really gorgeous.
:clap::clap::clap:
Mariska

brynmr
10-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Stunning drawing Chiz! :clap: Such a sensitive handling of beautiful color, light and form.

ps don't enter this in any contest I enter ok? :D