PDA

View Full Version : Help! Acrylic problem/question

alibluemoon
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Ok. I am fairly new to painting and I've mostly painted with oils. However, I just got some acrylics (Golden) and I adore how they work...and I've got this canvas started with an buff colored oil background and two ribbons of perm. mauve. (I was trying to play with the idea of illuminated manuscripts--but with all the layers, oil takes FOREVER!)

Now I swear I read somewhere that I could use acrylic over oil (or was it oil over acrylic?). Does anyone know for sure? I don't want to screw up my idea on the canvas if it isn't going to work...

Help!!!!:)

buddingartist
01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Although I am nowhere near the level of artistic competence as many others in these threads, I can tell you with certainty that you cannot use acrylic over oil.

You can however use oil over acrylic.

I have done it and it came out nicely especially with what you have in mind. My project also involved many layers of glazes

Good luck

alibluemoon
01-30-2007, 03:04 PM
shoot!

ok...well, thanks for the info. i guess i'll just put this canvas away and leave it for later.

i will however still use the idea...too bad i can't just pick up where i left off with the oils :(

Charlie's Mum
01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Please don't!
Oil under acrylic - no. No, NO - you'd rue the day :evil:

Some now are even saying don't use acrylic underpainting for oils either!

Lulu
01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
My lips are sealed..........................you will have to read the other thread going on this subject to know why!! lol

But I agree with Maureen........:lol:

Einion
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
...I've got this canvas started with an buff colored oil background and two ribbons of perm. mauve. (I was trying to play with the idea of illuminated manuscripts--but with all the layers, oil takes FOREVER!)

Now I swear I read somewhere that I could use acrylic over oil...
You can, but it's probably not a good idea. It's also something you might find you just can't do, on a practical level, until the oil paint is fully 'dried', which might take months.

The reverse is more accepted - oils over an acrylic underpainting - although there's still quite a bit of debate about whether one should.

Einion