PDA

View Full Version : Man tries gouache for the first time

richlll
01-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Here is my first gouche test, it is about 7 x9" I may have cheated just to let you know because I added about 15% acrylic medium, I read this is a good idea for more permanence but if it is found to be tainted...sorry. :evil: :D So it is 85% pure...... Rich

cmwynn
01-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I had not heard about mixing in medium, so am glad to learn something new. I particularly like the way you approached the background with darker and more varied colors at the edges.

richlll
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I had not heard about mixing in medium, so am glad to learn something new. I particularly like the way you approached the background with darker and more varied colors at the edges.

Thanks cmwynn, I attacked this one later with oil glazes, I tend to go nuts seeing what will work. My wildest experiment in the last 2 weeks was starting a casein, then painting over that with a casein/beeswax mixture, then painting over this by mixing the casein/wax mix into and oil and black oil mixture on a stone tile, it actually turned out OK and the paint film is very tough.

JamieWG
01-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Rich, that's a really interesting idea to add the acrylic medium. I guess you have to be sure not to let the paint dry on your brushes in that case! Technically, that probably makes it an acrylic painting. A couple of companies are coming out with what they call acrylic gouache, but it's really acrylic paint with a matt finish. Go figure!

So, how'd you like working with it?

Jamie

richlll
01-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Rich, that's a really interesting idea to add the acrylic medium. I guess you have to be sure not to let the paint dry on your brushes in that case! Technically, that probably makes it an acrylic painting. A couple of companies are coming out with what they call acrylic gouache, but it's really acrylic paint with a matt finish. Go figure!

So, how'd you like working with it?

Jamie

I liked working with it, it fits the way I work when I can be fast, it doesn't always work for me to be quick in oils.

I like all kinds of paint, I bought some commercial (cheap student grade) gouache today, I'm not sure when I'll try them as I am currently preparing 50 panels for an upcoming show in April.

Technically an acrylic? Its 85% gouache, when I mix egg tempera mixture with oil at the same proportions, I still consider it an oil.... :confused:

To confuse things more I have completely glazed this painting with oils....so now it is a........mixed media....:D Rich

richlll
01-31-2007, 02:25 AM
I notice my original posting of this paintig is overall too light by about 1+ value at least...I am posting the glazed oil final version of this, as you'd expect it darkened everthing quite a bit even though I used very transparent colors and not much oil paint....I always have to dabble... Rich

JamieWG
01-31-2007, 06:37 AM
Technically an acrylic? Its 85% gouache, when I mix egg tempera mixture with oil at the same proportions, I still consider it an oil.... :confused:

Rich, when you mix the gouache with acrylic medium, not only do you have an acrylic binder/vehicle, but you also lose the solubility characteristic of real gouache. I'd venture to guess that you also gain some of the flexibility of acrylic, as well as that non-lifting paint surface. I don't know enough about the composition of egg tempera to comment on that.

To confuse things more I have completely glazed this painting with oils....so now it is a........mixed media....:D Rich

Yes. In fact, it may have been "mixed media" before the oil glazing! But I really like those rich darks you've gained and the additional color depth. :)

Jamie

dbclemons
01-31-2007, 10:40 AM
...Technically an acrylic? Its 85% gouache, when I mix egg tempera mixture with oil at the same proportions, I still consider it an oil...

Although you've only added a small percentage of acrylic medium, you've still fundamentally changed how the gouache paint behaves, as Jamie has said. If you mix egg tempera paint with oil (tempera grassa,) the tempera paint then works and dries like oil paint. Mix oil paint with egg, and it still handles like oil. None of this really matters, but if someone were trying to duplicate your results using only gouache they'd have troubles.

richlll
01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
None of this really matters, but if someone were trying to duplicate your results using only gouache they'd have troubles.

Well that's why I thought I should "come clean" becasue I know there are purists as there should be with artists, and I don't really know gouache. Rich

Richard Saylor
02-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Well that's why I thought I should "come clean" becasue I know there are purists as there should be with artists, and I don't really know gouache. RichGouache is just glorified poster paint. There's something almost weird about the idea of being a 'purist' with gouache.

My stepson judges the quality of a hamburger by how closely it resembles those served at Burger King. Perhaps he is a hamburger purist? :eek:

Richard

dbclemons
02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm not a purist either, and like experimenting with different combinations of things. As long as it doesn't explode or fall apart, who cares? ;)

richlll
02-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not a purist either, and like experimenting with different combinations of things. As long as it doesn't explode or fall apart, who cares? ;)

Now you have me thinking, how could I make a painting explode with a combination of "traditional material"...performance art... random, bang for the buck..... cool.... :evil:

Speaking of purists has anyone ever tried a beeswax medium of some sort with gouache? I just can't stop stirring the pot.... :D

JamieWG
02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Now you have me thinking, how could I make a painting explode with a combination of "traditional material"...performance art... random, bang for the buck..... cool.... :evil:

How about pigment with a white vinegar vehicle, painted on a baking soda encrusted support? :evil: :D

Jamie