PDA

View Full Version : Eyelashes, anyone?

lucykris
01-29-2007, 04:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2007/99305-be_mine.jpg
This is my first post ever, and here is my question: In my teeny reference photo, creepy-girl here did not have visible eyelashes, but my painting is 14x18 inches, and I think her baldy lids look kind of weird. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help? I really have a hard time making stuff up that isn't there in the photo. I tend to want to paint in each lash, thinking if she was actually this close you would see each one. Any advice would be helpful, or I guess I'll just leave her as is and allow the viewer to fill in for themselves how she ended up with no eyelashes.

dreamz
01-29-2007, 08:04 AM
my only suggestion would be to take a similar photo of a friend and use that as reference

Leslie Pz
01-29-2007, 08:34 AM
I agree... take a photo or look in a mirror at your own lashes.

But I think you are right. The lids need something.

idcrisis55
01-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi Lucy, Welcome to the Acrylics Forum. I hope you post much more as this painting is lovely. You received some good suggestions, the only other thing to make sure the person's head is tilted back in the same position when photographed.

lucykris
01-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your suggestion dreamz and leslie, and for the feedback ann. That is a great idea,---I felt very silly last night after posting, because after taking a break for a while I thought "Oh, I should just take a photo of Taylor's (my daughter) head in the same position and use that as a reference." Sometimes I work for too long and problems start to loom larger than they actually are, I think. Anyway, thank you so much--I'll post the results.

stevenbg
01-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Lucy,
I agree that the eyes need a little "something".
I think that the eyelashes should just be hinted at.
Be careful not to make them jump out at the viewer.
Maybe start with a light-to-mid value gray?
If you have a fan brush, it might also help (use a light touch).