PDA

View Full Version : Question: Titainium or Zinc white over grissaile?

Ian Bruce
01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I would like to do an under-painting for a portrait--grissaille, verdaccio, or whatever the term is. I am wondering if Titanium White is too opaque for mixing flesh-tones when you want the shading of a grissaile is to show through. I have never used Zinc White but have read that it is more transparent. Would it make the flesh-tones much more transparent? I would appreciate any info on this.

idylbrush
01-28-2007, 11:01 PM
have you considered not using white at all except for highlights. Thin the skin tones enough that they are very ver faint and work in multiple layers. Might want to do an experimental piece to give it a try but it may work. Use zinc or titanium white for hightlights as needed.

Just a thought.

texana6
01-29-2007, 12:01 AM
I use Titanium White for the grizaille then switch to Zinc White for glazing. On occasion I have used a combination of Titanium and Zinc when I got some areas of my grizaille to dark. Try the Zinc for glazing, I think you will like it!

timelady
01-29-2007, 06:55 AM
Try to the zinc. :) It's very transparent and like texana says you may want a mix of both - I think there are actually some 'mixing whites' out there that are just that (though I've seen these in oil more than acrylic).

In fact zinc is so transparent that you can try it and it's more likely to be too transparent than too opaque - so if you do a glaze with it, you can probably just go over it with more or a titanium mix afterwards if the coverage isn't what you wanted. You're not losing too much of the background.

Tina.

Ian Bruce
01-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Thank you, Howard, Texana, Tina. Just what I wanted to know. I will go and get some Zinc White (as soon as the guilt wears off from my most recent art materials buying binge). I have a couple of pieces showing now. I hope something sells. I need a cash infusion into my art account. In theory, I make more from selling paintings than I spend on materials. At the moment, there is a bit of a gap between theory and practice.

Einion
01-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Either or both.

I would like to do an under-painting for a portrait--grissaille, verdaccio, or whatever the term is. I am wondering if Titanium White is too opaque for mixing flesh-tones when you want the shading of a grissaile is to show through.
We're mimicking traditional oil methods here right? These were done using lead-based whites in the main and they are fairly opaque. With the lower pigment load of acrylic paints a typical Titanium White might be similar to a decent Lead White oil paint.

I have never used Zinc White but have read that it is more transparent. Would it make the flesh-tones much more transparent?
Yes it is and yes it will.

Einion

chammi kaiser
01-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I use titanium white mixed with lots of glaze medium which makes it beautifully transparent or rather transluscent. Trying to cut down on costs and it seems to work ok. Glazed some 'purply mountains' and it worked beautifully.