PDA

View Full Version : Advice and tips please on how to paint "lace"

amurphy
01-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi Guys :wave:
I need to pick your collective brains.......
I would like to do a painting featuring white lace curtins. I am unsure how to approach it though. Do I block in the negative space, i.e. the holes, and then paint the fabric.
Or do I block in the lace and then put in my "holes". I did a search here on the site, and saw some beautiful work but I could not find a WIP on it.
If some knows of one and could pass it on to me that would be great.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Audrey

timelady
01-29-2007, 06:58 AM
I would personally block in the lace and then put in the dark 'holes'. :) If I look at old paintings that's often what I see - the holes are brushmarks on top of the white. Just me though, I'm sure you can do it both ways.

Tina.

Roger Evans
01-29-2007, 08:10 AM
I would personally block in the lace and then put in the dark 'holes'. :) If I look at old paintings that's often what I see - the holes are brushmarks on top of the white.

I agree. The thing to remember is that the lace represents a surface that is near you with contours and reflections and texture. This surface just happens to have holes in it that allows you to see another surface behind it. So you want to establish the front surface first, which will allows you to use broader strokes to suggest the detail of the lace, with shadow and highlights playing across the surface. Then punch a bunch of holes in it with the darker color. Otherwise, you will be interrupting your lighter brush strokes as you attempt to paint around the dark areas the represent the holes. Very tedius and won't be as convincing, in my opinion.

Roger

rmc
01-29-2007, 08:20 AM
I agree with above - don't forget tho' to give 'dimension' to the holes with darker areas / shadows and light. In fact there was a different strokes from August last year which had a lace cloth and there you will find several different approaches to the same lace which is almost as good as a wip.
if you click on the different strokes link above in the information kiosk - it will take you there.

amurphy
01-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Thank you Tina I thought thats what I saw when I looked at other paintings
Thank you Rodger for detailing it out for me. It really helped me with the process.
Thank you Ruth, I will check out the d/s project. Seeing how others paint the same subject is very interesting.

I haven't started this painting yet.....still in the planning stage.
Audrey

Dueck
01-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Idea for the surfaces behind lace - paint them first, then use masking fluid to get the holes in lace?