PDA

View Full Version : "Canoe Rental"

stevenbg
01-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I got some Lauan plywood yesterday, and wanted to try it out, so I did this painting on it today.

This is a place up in North Carolina where we rented some canoes last time we were up there. It was a lot of fun paddling around the lake. It was pretty comical actually, since none of us had ever done this before. It took us a while to figure out how to keep going around in circles!

Once again, not the best photo.
IRL, the background hills recede more than this photo shows, and the contrast is a bit more.
Anyway, here it is ......... 20X16" acrylic on board.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2007/38431-Canoe_Rental_small.jpg

Lulu
01-28-2007, 08:33 PM
lol @ going around in circles:D I would love to have a go too!
Very nice painting, very tranquil, and I love the water and reflections, and that red!

Mark Newton
01-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Really nice Steve, a simple and yet powerful composition, everything sings in this one....

stevenbg
01-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Thank you LuLu and Mark.
This was fun to paint, and a good learning experience as well.
I'll probably go back in and rework that foreground area before varnishing.
It looks kind of "flat" to me.

gurleygirl
01-28-2007, 09:41 PM
The water in this is fantastic!! Where is this in NC? I know you have done some great paintings near where I live. (I typically prefer the lakes I can ride my jetski in :D )
Tracey

dreamz
01-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Steve, it's great to see you expanding, this tranquil scene is very well done

stevenbg
01-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks Dreamz.
Glad you like this.
It wasn't meant to be an actual "painting", per se.
More of an acrylic sketch that I got carried away with.
I really just wanted to play around with a new support and some unfamiliar subject matter (practicing landscapes).

Tracy, this is a pretty big lake (you could easily ride jet-skis here) in a park or nature reserve somewhere in Raleigh. I wish I could tell you the name, but my brother-in-law took us there, and I get kind of turned around up there. I CAN tell you that it's a big park, with lots of hiking trails. We had to walk a quite a while before we came to the water. If memory serves, I'm pretty sure that there were some horse trails or some stables there too.
Sorry I can't be more specific right now, but if you really want to know, I can find out.

objectivistartist
01-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah - they never tell ye - use a 'J' stroke in paddling canoes .. :lol:
The work - such a nice, peaceful place to be..... :D

gurleygirl
01-28-2007, 11:44 PM
It's probably Falls Lake if its in Raleigh. I go there everyweekend when its warm. Only 20 minutes from my house. Beautiful painting!!
Tracey

stevenbg
01-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks Tracy.
I'll have my wife ask her sister when she talks to her tomorrow.
They live in Clayton, and I know that this wasn't too far from there.
Here's a photo of the canoe rental place, maybe it'll ring a bell for you......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2007/38431-temp.JPG

gaykir
01-29-2007, 10:28 AM
I love this! I prefer the cooler hazy, misty morning feel of the painting to the photo. It may not be a good representaion but the way it looks on my PC is wonderful.

stevenbg
01-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Tracy,
I finally found out where this is:
I still don't know the name of the lake itself, but it's in the "William B. Umstead State Park".
Sound familiar?

Ian Bruce
01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Really nice job! Good composition and values. Nice and simple and the spots of bright color in the middle really pull it together.

gurleygirl
01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks Steve!!
That is only 5 minutes from my house - but I didn't know there's a lake in there.:o My husband just told me there are several there.:o
Tracey

stevenbg
01-30-2007, 12:30 AM
I decided to make some changes to this piece ......
I didn't like the little piece of land in the foreground, so I'm going to cut it off (literally).
(One of the advantages of painting on board instead of canvas.)
Besides getting rid of a bothersome element, I think it also improves the composition.
Now the horizon line isn't in the center.
I also pushed that one hill farther into the background, to give it more depth.
I'd be interested to hear what you think about the changes.

Before ........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2007/38431-38431-Canoe_Rental_small.jpg

After .......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2007/38431-Picture_092.jpg

Mark Newton
01-30-2007, 12:44 AM
I have to say I much preferred it with the green foreground. If it was too bright and competed too much I would have knocked it back a tad (darker)... It works cropped, but I feel you have lost the sense of openness it had.

stevenbg
01-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback Mark.
I haven't cut it off yet, so there's still time to reconsider.
I see your point, though about the "openness".
The color and value weren't what bothered me.
It was more the boring shape, or maybe how it cut across the whole foreground that bothered me.
Maybe I could find some way to make that little patch of ground work better, compositionally.
Or, perhaps I could even come up with something entirely different for the foreground (what comes immediately to mind is the view of a canoe from the viewpoint of the paddler, like you're paddling into the scene).

Mark Newton
01-30-2007, 01:32 AM
I had another close look at your original Steve....trying to see what is wrong with the grass....I can't see that it detracts, in fact to me it lifts the whole composition and I would leave it and move onto something else... I have discovered over the years that people buy paintings that I see a lot of things in that might bug me...but really they are not as important as we think, its just that we become overly fussy about aspects that really arent all that important..and anyway, use your ideas etc for the next one....:thumbsup:

pakc
01-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Steve...you should try the rafts along the ocoee...lol..you certainly wouldn't be going around in circles.

this is nice study...the colors are enchanting.

gurleygirl
01-30-2007, 08:30 AM
In my opinion, I like it better with the grass at the bottom.
Tracey

objectivistartist
01-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Yep - keep the grass..... for sure.......

katsarecool
01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Beautiful! I thought this looked like Morrow Mountain State Park in NC. Too many lakes in this state to choose from.

texana6
01-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Oh yeah, I like this. Without the foreground I now feel like I'm in a canoe returning to the dock after a day of canoeing.