PDA

View Full Version : Thrilled yet horrified...

KarenU
04-14-2002, 11:50 PM
Well...even though my day job of programming pays my bills, I've always considered myself an artist and would love to have spent my entire life in pursuit of that career, unfortunately, I never felt that I was good enough to give that a try. All of the artistic work that I've completed in the past has been given away as gifts to friends and family.

So I'm down at the local coffee shop (Starbucks) and I notice that this particular Starbucks has paintings hanging from a local artist. So....being the inquisitive person that I am, I say to the fellow making my coffee....."What's up with the art on the walls?", "Didn't think you folks did that kind of thing". Well he goes on to say that "Yes, we like to feature art of local artists." Unfortunately, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and I said "Well...I'm an artist and I'd like to hang some of my paintings here." (Where did that come from, I'm thinking as the words come out of my mouth!!)

To make a long story short, the fellow that was making my coffee was the owner of this particular Starbucks. The next day I was over showing him some of my work and it appears that for the month of May, I will be the featured local artist.

I am going to hang 7 or 8 paintings, and as my subject line stated, I'm thrilled and yet horrified at the same time. This will be a first for me (not the thrilled and horrified part) but the public exhibition of my art. Yikes!

My other two posts that included attachments are paintings that I'm going to include, along with this current attachement. Anyone that has experience doing this type of thing...I would be grateful for any and all advice on anything that I need to know and/or do or be aware of.

Thanks in advance for any of your input!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2002/Denizens.jpg

Karen

CathyD
04-15-2002, 04:19 AM
I love your work, and I would think it would do very well in Starbucks and who knows lead on to bigger and better things!!!
BE confident with your art! You have a great style and your work makes me happy to just look at it.
Congratulations Karen!
Cathy

mf.sutton
04-15-2002, 06:28 AM
congratulations, I am sure that it will be a great success, your art is so bright and fun, let us know how it goes - Mike:clap:

Rose Queen
04-15-2002, 08:58 AM
Having never had (or sought :p ) a public hanging (so to speak), I haven't any particular advice for you, but I did want to say congratulations! and wish you well. I like the piece you've posted and I'm sure the folks who see it at Starbucks will, too! Let us know how it goes, please.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

KarenU
04-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Thanks to all for the encouragement! Believe me, just this small amount of involvement with WC so far, has already helped my confidence....everyone is so helpful and encouraging.

Rose Queen...loved your play on words! :D

I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks!
Karen

Wally's Mom
04-15-2002, 01:19 PM
:clap:

Your paintings are beautiful, and very fresh feeling ! Enjoy !

Einion
04-15-2002, 03:47 PM
Congratulations Karen, best of luck with the exhibition (not that I think you'll need it)! Your work is very attractive and I imagine people will like them a lot. Let us know how it goes won't you?

Einion

YLCIA
04-15-2002, 03:57 PM
Congratulations, Karen! I am sure you will be in demand.
Let us know.

I never sold but one painting and never expo anywere but on this website , with Artist Nation. You gave me an idea:)

Julia

schdj_sb
04-15-2002, 05:20 PM
I have no advice but I could like to say congratulations! This is wonderful.

amanda
04-15-2002, 11:32 PM
Once again a great piece of work from you, congrats.

CarlyHardy
04-16-2002, 01:34 PM
Karen...how exciting for you! See....Wet Canvas is already rubbing off on you!! After a few months on here...you'll be approaching galleries...entering shows....the sky is the limit!!

One caution about hanging work in any restaurant or business of this type. Ask about security for your work. You will probably find that you hang your work at your own risk and they take no responsibility for it...even if a customer walks out with it!

So...depending on the wall hooks, use a double wire and wrap it two directions around the hook...those nail thru hooks are best. You can wire thru the hole in the hook. Now...someone can take this off the wall but it won't be as easy to do.

Take photos of your work hanging! and you with it...for future resume!

I love your work...you have a fun whimsical approach that a lot of folks strive for and never find! I think you'd do really well selling on ebay too! And do put prices on your work when its hanging...attach a business card to the back of every painting!

carly

....and don't drink too much of that Starbucks coffee!

baquitania
04-16-2002, 02:44 PM
BIG CONGRATS!!! I exhibited once in my local library, pretty much in the same manner you stumbled upon... and it was exhilarating! Made me feel like a real artist for the first time... Thankfully a librarian friend who dabbled in photography took shots of my work, and I have them as a great keep sake... so don't forget to do that...

Bobby :D

KarenU
04-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Carly....thanks so much for your great suggestions. Geez, I hand't even thought about security, I just assumed that the paintings would be safe, but I'll take your suggestions to heart.

I have thought about selling on Ebay, but I just haven't a clue on prices yet. Definitely something I want to do as I'm building up a pretty big inventory of paintings and running out of studio space! I need to do some looking around here on WC, and the internet, and see if I can find any suggestions in that area.

Thanks again!
Karen

KarenU
04-30-2002, 12:06 PM
Hanging update.....So I go into the Starbucks yesterday to reconfirm our May 1st hanging date and much to my surprise...no art on the walls. It appears that the previous artist took his paintings down early.

So the owner says to me....can you put your paintings up today? Of course I did!! There was only room for 5 paintings after all...which was fine. It was pretty darn exciting, and still is! Even if nothing ever comes of this, it has given me a new sense of confidence, which I am grateful for!

My husband comes in from work and says to me.....hey honey, on the way home I passed that Starbucks and there was this long line of people trying to get in...seems like they were selling tickets at the door or something....I can always count on him for a laugh!! :D

We are going to take some photos so I'll post one of them in this thread. I just want to thank everyone here for your support and encouragement. You've really helped me feel great about moving forward with this project!

Karen

Caron
04-30-2002, 01:20 PM
:clap: :clap: Congrats Karen!!!! :clap: :clap: Now doesnt that feel good??!!! Keep smilin....:D

jennifernobile
04-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Wow, that is so great! I hope you have some information up so that people can contact you if they want to buy...

I sell some stuff on eBay, so if you ever want to chat about it, feel free to email me...

Good luck!

jenn

zynnya
04-30-2002, 11:51 PM
Congratulations on your first art exhibition!

This is my first posting here, so hello everyone.

A couple of suggestions, which I've seen used in art exhibitions in my local library:

*Have a visitors' book with pen on a table near the paintings, to collect names, contact details & comments from interested persons.

*Place a pile of your business cards on the table too

*Print a leaflet containing numbers, titles, sizes, prices, & the story behind each painting, or what inspired you, have a pile of the leaflets on the table with a "please take one" sign.

BRIDGES
05-01-2002, 09:36 AM
I found that when putting work in restaurant it is a good thing to have a list of what is there and have owner sign and also give a small commission to the owner for hanging them Also let them hang them, so you will not be responsible as to where they hang.- any damage. And if you did local scenes and landscapes they sell well, also flowers decorative paintings do best. Have done for years. But people love local scenes. Esp. old timers!.As opposed to modern art. good luck. another place is hospitals and doctors offices. Cafes anyway, Hotels and motels. Had one bad experience with consignment shop the took three and I didn't get back to see for several months and then they had gone,moved or left the country with my oils .that is why didn't put really expensive ones there and it was in another town, so keep them close by, maybe with people who you know. Bridges

kjsspot
05-01-2002, 03:34 PM
Too kewl! Congrats!! May you have much success! Me? I would be using it as an excuse to buy lots of coffee. LoL "Well hon, I'm JUST trying to stay accessible to my viewers!" hee hee Good luck!

Matttscott
05-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Pfft! ;) You have nothing to worry about, Karen!

I checked out your other paintings, and I must say that I love your work. I am sure the exhibition will be wonderful! I love the colors and the whimsical flavor of your pieces. I think they will look great with the Starbucks decor.

Congratulations! Do let us know how it goes!

:clap:

--Matt :cool:

BRIDGES
05-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Karen, are there more of yours on line? And also the ones you took to STARBUCKS. And prices? Like to see. hope you put a good price on them.I just returned from art store and wow what prices the paints are climbling to!!. wish near your starbucks. Godd luck toyou Bridges

jocelynsart
05-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Hi Karen: If the fish piece is any indicatin of your whole body of work...I want to see More!!!!
I just love it!!!
PS: Have you been on eBay or around the Art chat board there? Your Starbuck's saga sounds familiar from there last week.
Congrats to you!!!!!!
Jocelyn:cat:

KarenU
05-07-2002, 02:18 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the great words of wisdom and suggestions!

Well the paintings have been hanging for about a week now and from what I hear from the staff, there have been some great comments. Of course, no one is beating down my door to buy anything! However, that's okay because this whole thing for me was all about just getting my feet wet with exhibiting! It really has been exhilarating!

I do plan on taking some pictures and will post one of them as soon as I get them.

jocelyn...no I haven't tried selling anything on eBay yet, but plan on getting my feet wet there as well. I haven't been on the Art chat board...didn't even know they had one. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the info.

Thanks again to EVERYONE for the great support :D

kimmikat
05-07-2002, 04:50 PM
The only advice I can give you is, GO FOR IT, and lovely piece :)

Congrats, you deserve it :)