PDA

View Full Version : Satyr in Super Sculpey *nudity warning*

Noadi
01-28-2007, 04:34 AM
This isn't 100% done, I still have to paint it but I thought I'd share it since all the sculpting is finished. I've started mixing regular super sculpey with the new grey super sculpey firm (a 1lb box of each), with fresh boxes of both it gives me a consistency that I think is just right. The different shades of grey you see are because the super sculpey firm darkens every bake more than any other polymer clay I've used and I did multiple stages on this sculpture. The white designs were done with thick gesso to give a slightly raised surface, at first I tried liquid sculpey but it runs too much when curing it on an angled surface even using a heat gun. The gesso took a couple layers but the result is really nice. My next step I actually did shortly after taking the photos which was give it a nice coat of white krylon spray primer because I'm going to be using my brand new airbrush to paint this. Click the link for a much larger version.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/diona/stuff/satyr07.jpg

Playm
01-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Holy Smokes! This is a real pleasure to view! Thanks for sharing the photos and your process. I'm looking foreward to seeing it painted. I think you'll enjoy your new airbrush. :)

MsLilypond
01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
That is so cool, please show your progress as you paint.

Bendaini
02-08-2007, 02:13 PM
See, this is one of those sculptures you look at and just KNOW you're missing so much because you can't see it in person. All the little details... And I love that pose. Can you give us a little closer look at hands and face?

Noadi
02-08-2007, 10:18 PM
No closeups of the hands, I took the photos before I saw your post but I've got some nice facial shots. Click the link for a bigger version.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/diona/stuff/satyr_finished.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/45373-satyr.jpg

Bendaini
02-09-2007, 07:21 PM
That's a great paint job. I especialy like the decritive swirls on the back, and the strip of fur down his spine. Beautiful.

What kind of paints do you use to paint your sculpy creations?

And I was wondering... You said you create and bake in layers, do you have an probloms with over baking and scorching pieces that have already been baked? I've always been afraid of that with my own pieces, but I'd like to try doing it in stages so it's a bit more stable....

lizzzie*
02-09-2007, 08:39 PM
That's beautiful! I love all the different textures, both painted and unpainted...

Noadi
02-09-2007, 11:05 PM
I do sometimes have areas darken which is a hazard that you get with series baking, but I've never had any problems that have affected the strength of my sculptures. Since I paint my work rather than using the color of the clay it isn't a problem for me but if you are planning to use flesh toned clay then you have to be very careful with series baking and protect thin prebaked areas like hands and feet by wrapping them with aluminum foil.

I use acrylic paints on my sculpts. I prime using either krylon white spray primer or white gesso then use either my airbrush or a regular brush to lay on the colors. However since acrylics can be streaky and dry so quickly when using a regular brush it requires multiple thin layers of paint which is why I've been considering trying out heat set oil paints I just don't have the spare cash for them right now.