PDA

View Full Version : Animal commission-your input much appreciated

artbyjune
01-27-2007, 03:32 PM
:wave: Hi everyone,
I haven't posted much in a while.

But I have been working on and off on 2 commissions for animal portraits in acrylics. I'm so up to my eyebrows in them I can't see them fresh and I'd really appreciate fresh eyes looking at them and commenting.

The commissions were very specific.

1. 2 male lions, 1 smaller than the other, walking along in front of a volcano.

2. Owner's kitten, sitting beside a birdcage, in a garden.

So here are my efforts. I have to show them to the customer this week, so can't make any drastic changes at this stage. maybe a few minor ones...

Open to suggestions. many thanks for looking!!:thumbsup:

First the lions. (I did 2 takes on this one.) then the kitty-cat.

I'm putting them in the next box.

artbyjune
01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Here they are...

artbyjune
01-27-2007, 03:45 PM
The second lion photo is a tad off in colour. Picture it a bit more contrasty and deeper in colour. I'll try to post a better photo of it later.

Paulafv
01-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Like the colors of the first set of lions and the size and position of the second set. I would be tempted to have the birdcage open and empty with the cat licking its paws, but I suppose that wasn't what was requested.

billyjo30
01-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Very well done. I see no change needed.

Charlie's Mum
01-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi June - I like the relationship of the two lions in #1 - the shapes echo each other nicely. the angle of the two walking is also beter (IMHO!) than the straight line of #2 ...... really like the strong bold contrast of #1 too. ... I'm just a little concerned that it's all a bit too right-sided with the tree there.
Also, the higher eye level is better than the middle EL in the second - but both have some lovely colour and painting :D

I can see your character in the cat painting much more - this, I think, is more typically you! the cat is beautiful and stands out very well - but the birds are getting lost in the cage with the flowers - easily remedied :D

Mark Newton
01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
I think the cat & bird painting is fine as is...quite nicely done. I much prefer the first lion painting, but would like to see the green grass toned to a warmer level to be a little more complementary to the lions colour (similar to the right hand painting). You've done a great job of the lions. Maybe a little off balance too, might need something, line, colour, texture, something on the LHS to balance.

artbyjune
01-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi mark, joan, maureen, and paula. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. I will take the comments on board and think about them, and try to incorporate where I can.

I will have a couple of days at the beginning of the week to fix things, before I show the paintings.

I'm fairly happy with the white kitty. Its really the lions I had the most problems with. I think I'll attempt to balance up the first lion painting. I think that composition is best (of the lion ones).

artbyjune
02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
:clap: :thumbsup: UPDATE- My Customer viewed the paintings tonight and loved the first lion picture (violet and lemon colours) and her kitty cat. Pleased to report she took both of them!!

I am having a sip of wine to celebrate.:wave:

Many thanks for the input. See you when I'm sober.:D

artbyjune
02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Ooops forgot to say, I did put a little touch of the warmer colour in the foreground...not too much, and it helped with space in the painting.

artbyjune
02-01-2007, 04:03 PM
That is..in the lion painting.

tubbekans
02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Congratulations June! That first lion painting was my favorite of the 2. I just liked the pose of the lions better. Good going on all of them!

Mark Newton
02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Enjoy the wine and congrats.....good work

faunafan
02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Nice. I really like the first one. The colors are great. And the colors in the sky on the second one are beautuful. The kitty's very cute. Hope the cage is sturdy!

gurleygirl
02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
These are fabulous!!
Tracey

artbyjune
02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Many thanks Tracey and Janet, Paul and Mark.

CSimchik
02-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I think you have done a great job. I love the motion in your first lions mane, but wondered why you did not add just a bit in the second lion?
I would paint this again as surely soneone else will love it too!

The cat is great too and I love the colors-so vibrant! I would paint this one again too.

I love commission work--and helps me paint it again possibly with a different view or different textures or seasons.
I need to post more of my paintings...
Cheers!
Candy

Bertoni
02-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!! The cat is superb!! Fine work!:clap: :clap: :clap:
The other two are darn good as well!!:thumbsup: