PDA

View Full Version : anyone know of a book like this for acrylics?

Heidi7Sue
01-26-2007, 01:33 AM
I checked out Hilary Page's Guide to Watercolor Paints from the library and I'm loving it. It has information on every pigment used in watercolor paints (so this is also useful info when painting in acrylic), and it has samples of and comments on every color of paint from every major watercolor manufacturer. Does anyone know of such a book that covers acrylic paints?

lightfast
01-26-2007, 02:58 AM
I checked out Hilary Page's Guide to Watercolor Paints from the library and I'm loving it. It has information on every pigment used in watercolor paints (so this is also useful info when painting in acrylic), and it has samples of and comments on every color of paint from every major watercolor manufacturer. Does anyone know of such a book that covers acrylic paints?

no i don't know of such a book. since the pigments are the same for watercolors and acrylics i'm not sure what value such a book would add to the existing literature - and the excellent handprint dot com website.

Heidi7Sue
01-26-2007, 01:33 PM
In addition to the pigment information, there's a lot of information that is specific to watercolors, and I would like to know that kind of thing for acrylics. She writes a little bit about each manufacturer in one of the appendices. And the paint samples are the main point of the book. Each one includes a demonstration of the lightfastness (or lack thereof) of the paint, how well it covers a pencil line, and comments on the quality and handling properties of the paint. In looking through these comments, I noticed that some manufacturers varied considerably in quality, and I have heard similar things about acrylics. I would be nice to have a systematic presentation of this information. Another thing that would be very useful is a sample of the tint and masstone for each paint. For some reason, such information is hard to find about some paint lines.

Tiasa
01-26-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't know of anything exactly like it in Acrylics. I did a lot of searching myself to find information like you are looking for, but it came from a lot of different sources. The manufacturers' websites like, Golden, Liquitex, and Winsor & Newton have a lot of information. Here are a couple of good books that might help:

The New Acrylics by Rheni Tauchid
I have checked this book out of the library a couple of times and it is very interesting. It has a lot of information about the properties of acrylics in general. I know others on this site use it and recommend it.

Acrylic Mixing Directory--A Visual Guide to More Than 2500 Mixes and Glaze Effects by Ian Sidaway
I use this book all the time when I pre-mix colors or am just looking for ideas. It briefly covers materials & techniques, but it is mostly a color mixing guide. I think most of the paints illustrated are Liquitex and some Winsor & Newton. It has color swatches that are about 2" tall by 1" wide, so you can really see the color. It also shows mixtures with white so you can see lighter shades of the colors.

Color Mixing for Artists by John Lidzey, Jill Mirza, Nick Harris, and Jeremy Galton
This one recommends starter palettes, which is nice. It also covers Acrylics, Oils, and Watercolors. It also shows actual proportions you need to get the color shown.

Paulafv
01-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Thank you, Tiasa, for useful, comprehensive information.

At the end of the day, yellow and blue make green, add red, get black, etc.
Color is color. You can also take the paints you own and make your own chart of the colors you most often use and their complements.

Howard is probably preparing something outstanding as I type, just because you asked. Actually, Howard probably already has a wall full of charts and colors admixted with his many media to show the complex results.

Happy mixing.

idylbrush
01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
A good place to start for any medium is "Artist's Color Manual" by Simon Jennings. A great resource.

Another thing, as it isn't really a book, is the Color Mixing recipe Cardds for oils and acrylics by William F. Powell. It is a good reference for either medium. It gives color formulas in a relative easy format and understandable mixing. It gets one started and off on the right foot.

I have one other but it may take me a bit of time to locate it. Will be back as soon as I do.

idylbrush
01-28-2007, 10:58 AM
finally found it. It lists each color by name lightfastness, transparency, color index code and then shows it mixed with a set of 6 colors as a color with white added and as a glaze, oh, just all sorts of combinations leading to 2500 mixes and glazes. It is a good one

Acrylic Mixing Directory
Ian Sidaway

ISBN: 1-56010-903-3

One of the better books I have seen on the subject. Applies only to acrylic pigments.