PDA

View Full Version : Paris at night complete

rudatartisan
01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for giving this oil painter some tips on how to complete this acrylic commission.

For those who didn't read my earlier thread, I had to paint over a printed plasma TV cover. Day 1 I set up scaffold on the 2nd floor living room, taped & draped, filled nail holes in the trim, mixed up a middle bluish-grey gesso to cover the ugly image that was there (it took 2 coats), and inbetween coats I sized & silver-leafed the frame. Total 4 hrs Day 2 I painted for 5 hrs, and day 3 painted for 2, then tore down scaffold & cleaned up. Total time: about 12 hrs for a 27"x 40" acrylic and frame -- so we made money!

Because of the short time-frame I couldn't draw first...just started painting, so there are some inaccuracies when you compare with the reference photo. I struggled a bit with the fast dry-time, but finally I just went with it, and kind of used an impressionistic style rather than trying to blend colors. The designers love it.

Thanks again!

metalhead
01-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Wow. Nice job, and so fast!

Andun
01-26-2007, 02:55 AM
Is the top of the tower skewed to the left or is that just the way you photographed it?

lightfast
01-26-2007, 03:00 AM
brilliant night lights, i love it!

LisaArt
01-26-2007, 03:55 AM
Wow..Is the first thing I said..this is super..love the way you hanlded such a difficult thing like a night scene....beautiful warm lighting! Bravo this is just fantastic!

dreamz
01-26-2007, 04:20 AM
WOW is hardly enough.. so how do you like working with acrylics?

rudatartisan
01-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Dreamz, I still prefer oils! Love the creamy texture and the ability to blend wet into wet. But they were not an option for this job, and I feel it came out better than expected, especially for a relative newbie.

Anthony, the Eiffel Tower is not crooked, my photo was skewed so I wouldn't get flash glare and I photoshopped it square according to the frame. I didn't notice the tower was leaning until you mentioned it. But I know it's not in real life...I actually used a level!

Thanks for the kudos, all.

Paulafv
01-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Brave and beautiful. Congratulations.

amaze_1101
01-26-2007, 04:28 PM
I could just sit all day and stare at this in a dream state. Great size and so beautiful. I SO loved Paris. Wish I could go back again.

idcrisis55
01-26-2007, 05:06 PM
What a lovely painting to enjoy. You did a terrific job on scaling everything as well as getting that just right night look.

buddingartist
01-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Triple WOW. You should be very proud as it is beautiful