PDA

View Full Version : Illumination & Calligraphy

TessDB
01-25-2007, 07:55 AM
"Illumination vs. Calligraphy" or it could be "illumination & calligraphy".

---- Your beautiful work of knots, circles and borders, for me, come under the heading of "Illumination". The study and production of various fonts done by hand comes under the heading of "Calligraphy". Of course, the two go hand in hand on documents, the Book of Kells, etc. Many people who are just solely doing calligraphy for invitations, gifts, etc. are just concentrating on the layout of the letters and the words and how all the ascenders/descenders need to be considered in the text of a poem for example. The majusels and miniscules; upper and lower cases of the various fonts need to be learned as to spacing of letters and the making of each letter and its relationship to all other letters. Then there is the area of pens, pen points, felt tip, metal, quill, feather, fountain pens, etc. etc. THEN the types of paper, inks, etc. etc.
With illumination work consideration of color, the types of paints, gilding materials, inks, etc. as well as the brushes, pens, etc. etc.

Hi, Helen! :wave:

With illumination & calligraphy, there's something else to be considered... In most of the ancient texts, the illuminations were meant to expand the understanding (especially with laypeople/non-clergy types) of the words in a populace that *wasn't* literate. The Book of Kells was meant to be awe-inspiring, the spiritual equivalent of a 2x4 to the head. :lol: Serious magic to a population that wasn't that far removed from earlier traditions yet. That becomes *really* apparent when you look at the marginalia & minor decorations. So it's not just technique, it's also the *why* certain things were included. And another interesting tid-bit about the Book of Kells... It wasn't meant to be read. It was meant to be performed. The priests were expected to *appear* to read, using it more as crib notes than actual text. Lots of the minor decorations were meant to be "cues" to help them get the stories right.

Just some oddball history to start your day... :lol:

I know next-to-nothing about Calligraphy. I'm hoping you've got some examples & things that can help me learn!
Tess

Merry Scribe
01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Tess I found a link that gives a little more history about Illumination and Calligraphy. Click here (http://www.illuminatedpage.com/history.html) Here is also a link for the history of Calligraphy (http://www.illuminatedpage.com/calligraphy.html) and how they both work together.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi, Helen! :wave:

With illumination & calligraphy, there's something else to be considered... In most of the ancient texts, the illuminations were meant to expand the understanding (especially with laypeople/non-clergy types) of the words in a populace that *wasn't* literate. The Book of Kells was meant to be awe-inspiring, the spiritual equivalent of a 2x4 to the head. :lol: Serious magic to a population that wasn't that far removed from earlier traditions yet. That becomes *really* apparent when you look at the marginalia & minor decorations. So it's not just technique, it's also the *why* certain things were included. And another interesting tid-bit about the Book of Kells... It wasn't meant to be read. It was meant to be performed. The priests were expected to *appear* to read, using it more as crib notes than actual text. Lots of the minor decorations were meant to be "cues" to help them get the stories right.

Just some oddball history to start your day... :lol:

I know next-to-nothing about Calligraphy. I'm hoping you've got some examples & things that can help me learn!
Tess

Tess if you want to learn calligraphy one of the best books I have found is the Calligraphers Bible. (http://www.amazon.com/Calligraphers-Bible-Complete-Alphabets-Draw/dp/0764156152)

I will tell you that this is my bible when it comes to calligraphy and I use it alot. I even used it for my mom's guest book at the church I did the writting in her guest book and everyone commented on the writting and asked where se had it done.

Blessed Be

Brian & Annie