PDA

View Full Version : Ebay quality

ThinkSeeDraw
04-14-2002, 02:01 AM
I'm kind of curious, Which is more profitable, selling works over ebay or selling IRL, like in galleries, auctions, and around the neighborhood. My friend is thinking about selling his work and he wanted to know if he could get his money's worth by selling on ebay. Whaddya say?

timelady
04-14-2002, 05:00 AM
It depends both what you're selling and how much you're looking to get for it. There tends to be, with some exceptions, a definitely price ceiling on eBay for self-representing artists - I find mine to be about $120, although most works don't go about $70. I sell IRL too, but completely different work. My eBay stuff is chosen specifically because it is small, took little time or won't sell IRL anyway (or can't be hung with my usual work, like figures). Other people sell on eBay because they aren't ready for galleries yet, or aren't painting full time perhaps, and it's a nice way to sell some pieces for a bit extra income or to buy more art supplies.

I don't think of eBay as an alternative to galleries, but as a different market. :) But on those slow RL months it pays the bills. (Unless it's a slow eBay month as it has been for the last two.)

Tina.

CarlyHardy
04-14-2002, 10:41 PM
The gallery market can be a tough market to break into....especially if you don't already have a personal clientele to bring to the gallery with you. And most beginning artists don't have that.

Ebay is an open marketplace for ALL artists. There is something for everyone on ebay....and in every price range!

Now....does one make money there. Personally, I've done above my expectations for the first year at ebay. And this year, I'm hoping to do even better. However, ebay is like any marketplace....you get out of it what you put into it.

Tell your friend to do some research. Follow some artist's auctions that have posted similar subjects, medium, size of paintings...that they are interested in selling and see how those go. Then gather all the info possible....so they can start off right. We have a lot of tips and good info here in the forums about online auction sales. This would be a good place to start.

but, if your friend is in a good gallery that markets the work consistently and has good sales....I'd say, stick with them. But at the same time leave the ebay avenue open!
carly