PDA

View Full Version : 2nd WIP - Male Lion

faunafan
01-24-2007, 12:47 PM
OK. Here's my second painting and my ref. photo. I'm currently working on facial details. Not looking forward to the mane. I think it's going to give me grief. So any suggestions for long hair?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2007/98824-lounging_lion_sm.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2007/98824-lionwip2.JPG
Wow! Now that there side by side... yikes! I've got some toning down to do, don't I? He's not really that bright. My color is off, partly because of my lously digital camera, but mostly because I have such a hard time matching colors for some reason. And eek! That bulging eyeball! Heehee!:lol:

rmc
01-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Janet - clearly a mayor talent - what do you normally do art in?
1. your handling of acrylics is awesome - the textures are all there - you already have a long silky mane effect
2. all the minor discrepancies you have noted will be easily corrected with a glaze or two
3. I know this is WIP but the grass green looks out of a tube colour(?) try mixing greens from yellow and blue to get a more natural green -
Congratulations, looking forward to seeing this finished!

objectivistartist
01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
LOL - looks like the lion is so surprised at what he's seeing :lol: yeah, toning it would be of help, as ye well aware, and it'll be as your other works - gr-r-r-eatt! :thumbsup:

JStoltz
01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I think you're off to a good start. The fur looks very soft and fluffy. Both of the eyes look a little large, but they with recede a little if you tone them down. The photo appears to have a little more black surrounding the eyes, so maybe it will be an easy fix. I'd love to see it when your finished. You obviously are talented.:thumbsup:

idcrisis55
01-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I so agree with the comments made so far, you are very talented. Sticking around to see this one painted. :) Another thing, if you mix your green or even if you use tube greens trying adding a bit of purple in it to mute the green or red or siennas. That helps to make the greens look more natural.

dreamz
01-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Yea what they said! Actually I LIKE the brighter colors

faunafan
01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
OK. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I took them to heart and here's the latest version... Still have quite a bit to do on the grass, but I think i got it toned down enough with a glaze, (and had better lighting for my digital photo :lol:) and no more freaky eyeballs! Let me know what you think.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2007/98824-lionwip3.JPG

faunafan
01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Ruth. Thank you. This is my second painting and both have been in acrylics. And I'm working on my greens. Thanks for the tip.

dreamz
01-25-2007, 11:07 AM
coming along nicely, remember that cats pupils aren't round

faunafan
01-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Gasp! Thanks Dreamz. No, I didn't realize that until you said something. Should have known. Had to blow up my ref photo a whole bunch to see it. Thanks.

objectivistartist
01-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Looking LOTS better..... and yes, their eyes are more slits, opening round only when in dim light.... :thumbsup:

amaze_1101
01-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Fantabulous Janet. You have a fine talent for sure. All the corrections so far have worked a treat. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

faunafan
01-25-2007, 07:24 PM
OK. I think he's about done. I barely made the pupils "un-round" like in my reference photo. I guess it was taken in the dark! Do you think I should make them slits as if it were taken in the daylight? Any other suggestions? In my digital photo his right cheek looks a bit washed out. It's not really so faded looking in person.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2007/98824-lionwip5.JPG

idcrisis55
01-25-2007, 07:47 PM
This is really lovely. You have a way with painting animals. The only suggestion I would have is on the eye (right eye) that is most open. Do you think that a bit darker shadow on top of the orb would bring it more oval and more formed. In looking at the photo, it appeared that the top shadow was just a tad darker than the bottom shadow but it could just be my eyes. I still think it looks great as it is though. :)

faunafan
01-25-2007, 07:55 PM
I think you're right Ann. That right eye gave me trouble from the start. I'll do a bit more shading. Thanks.