PDA

View Full Version : In the Classical Studio Gallery ~ Jan 2007

Nickel
01-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi and welcome to the Classical Forum.
Please post your classical style work in any media
that you are currently working on or have just finished!

Everyone is welcome to post in this thread - Newbies and experts. Contemporary, traditional and romantic styles are all welcome.

For the most part, this is a “show and tell” thread, if you would like more detailed help or critiques, please start a thread in the main classical forum.

We look forward to seeing your work...

Sincerely Nickel

Nickel
01-23-2007, 10:19 PM
This just came off my easel last week.
It was for the first classical challenge
A baroque style self-portrait.
I used a picture reference from a long time ago
and tried to model myself after Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl.

I do wish I had left a little more room on the canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2007/39040-1.jpg

Oil on Canvas

Anita Murphy
01-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Lovely self portrait, Nickel - sad face though!

I've been working on a couple of pieces

Solitary Vision, Charcoal on paper - nearly finished

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2007/58769-Solitary_Visionb.jpg

And a chair study for a new piece

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2007/58769-Study_for_chaira.jpg

Keron
01-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Here is my latest 'step' of my little monument valley panorama...such as it is. I'm goinng to leave for a few days now to allow for the paint layer to set up before over painting. Anyway there's various close-ups. It's hard to speak for colour accuracy but....Peace

Keron
01-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Just a quick post. I worked on my panorama today. This is where it stands at the moment. I had to leave it go to allow the paint to set up enough to over paint. It's not 100% where I want to go or thought I'd go....but I'm encouraged.

jstpnt
01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
:confused: Classical? Does the forumn essentially deal with traditional themes, techniques, etc? jstpnt

rosebard
01-30-2007, 09:32 PM
:confused: Classical? Does the forumn essentially deal with traditional themes, techniques, etc? jstpnt

Hi Jstpnt! Welcome to Classical Art Forum! :wave:

It is commom for people to relate Classical to themes like the Greek and Roman art and technique like monopaintings and glazings so quick and neglect the draftsmanship that is really behind the classical artworld.

When I hear traditional themes and technique it makes the forum to narrow and looking back at history the ideias and ways of painting werent limited. From Renaissance to before Impressionism realism there are tons of minds to explore. So I believe Classical as title of this forum is more about people who like to go back far far in history and either emulate, learn or be inspired by the great masters of the past. :)

Romantic and contemporary realism is also welcome here. :thumbsup:

Keron this is progressing nicely. :)

Anita I am enjoying to watch those charcoal drawings. The concept behind it is so cool. Cant wait to see where you going to take the chair study. :)

Hi Nickel dear. The colors in the portrait are super. A bit too serious. I love your smiling face. :D You guys are having fun with some projects in CA. A shame I havent being able to participate much.

Right now I am preparing for a part time job so my time is limited to paint nowdays until next month, but here is what is current on my easel. This is the third layer of painting. It is not an underpainting. I am back at working with mono to practice values to model form again and this will be a mono portrait as a final piece. There are still things to fix. Her smile is not quite there yet and photo is not the best one either. :D This is just a crop of the portrait I am posting :p

:wave:

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1130/p1280004jl6.jpg

Painter Jen
02-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Bard, you answered a whole lotta questions for me about this forum, thanks.

Let me introduce myself! My "real" name is Jen and I've been studying (reading, looking, thinking, experimenting with all kinds of media) quite hard the past year, 2006, and now I feel I'm ready to paint with the oils I was given for xmas. I feel I've grown a lot as an artist in the past year, and there is nothing like the feeling of knowing there is an answer to every problem and everything in painting can be learned...this is what i've learned to date, anyway. I can't wait to progress further, and am so enjoying the learning process.

Right now, I am working on two paintings. Here is one I call 'Sleepers'. I wouldn't mind critiques! It's 10x20", and I plan on defining the blondes' hair further (though I also am going to keep it mostly ethereal looking), as well as a bit more detail in some of the roses and putting roses in the hand furthest left.

So, hello! Nice to meet everyone.:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2007/97781-IMG_6511.jpg

Sorry about the atrocious angle. I can't seem to keep the flash from glaring off of the wet paint!

rosebard
02-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Hi Jen, call me Rosie :D

I may just forgot to mention this forum is for all medias, not only oils! Although there are medias, which are not traditional in a sense they are new like acrylics and colored pencils for instance but still can be used to achieve same results as more traditional medias.

What inspired you to create this painting? I am not good with critiques but I usually enjoy looking and knowing why one chose certain subject and what one is trying to achieve and how.

I didnt see the pic was posted didnt show up. So well here it is again.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1130/p1280004jl6.jpg

rosebard
02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Ps: this is the same pic I posted before. I didnt have the time to work on it again. :D Hope you all having a good time drawing and painting. :)

Keron
02-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Bard, you answered a whole lotta questions for me about this forum, thanks.

Let me introduce myself! My "real" name is Jen and I've been studying (reading, looking, thinking, experimenting with all kinds of media) quite hard the past year, 2006, and now I feel I'm ready to paint with the oils I was given for xmas. I feel I've grown a lot as an artist in the past year, and there is nothing like the feeling of knowing there is an answer to every problem and everything in painting can be learned...this is what i've learned to date, anyway. I can't wait to progress further, and am so enjoying the learning process.

Right now, I am working on two paintings. Here is one I call 'Sleepers'. I wouldn't mind critiques! It's 10x20", and I plan on defining the blondes' hair further (though I also am going to keep it mostly ethereal looking), as well as a bit more detail in some of the roses and putting roses in the hand furthest left.

So, hello! Nice to meet everyone.:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2007/97781-IMG_6511.jpg

Sorry about the atrocious angle. I can't seem to keep the flash from glaring off of the wet paint!

Welcome Jen!
Nice arrival! Your piece, I mean. It's an ambitious effort and from the looks of it, very promising. I had to do a doulbe-take when I read that it is only 10"x20"....My frist thought was that it was more like 20"x40" or larger. Nice colour too. As you grow as an artist you will benefit from some study on anatomy and benefit from life drawing classes or groups. Over-all though and impressive start:thumbsup:

osyang
02-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi Rose! Long time no see! Just checking what you´re up to, it´s good to see you´re still a guide in the classical forum ( I should try to drag you back to portraiture ;)!) About your underpainting: it is coming along fine, just check the right side of her head, it looks a bit too wide. And check the shadow under the nose, since the lighting is coming from up left, there should be a cast shadow because of the nose projection. Also check the alignment of the nose with the middle line of the head, it looks slightly off.

Jen: very promising start, I find it is a bit symbolist (the flowers remind me of Redon), a bit Botticelli, a bit art-nouveau (reminds me of Klimt),a bit expressionist, a bit surrealist...very creative! I like your edges, too, just remember to keep them soft in the background figures.

Greetings to all,

Painter Jen
02-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi! THanks for the responses!

Bard: Love your self-portrait. It feels very open, honest, and serious to me. I sense a little fear of self-exposure in the expression, which is possibly my own feelings! lol, I guess other people's self-portraits can teach us something about ourselves...
The idea of my painting is about coming from one stage of consciousness to another, an example would be from sleeping to awake (I call the peice 'Sleepers'). The figures become more developed on the left side as they "awake", and are more indestinct and abstract on the right side of the canvas, as they are "sleeping". One stage does not have more importance than another, just as a real person is not more valuable when they are awake as opposed to sleeping. Not useful to someone else, but VALUABLE.

Keron: thanks for the input, really. Yeah, I badly need anatomy lessons. Everything here is from my mind, trying to imagine how the light would actually look wrapping around this shape, or hitting this object, so it has lots of problems. Mind you, I LIKE atatomically-INcorrect artwork, but that is not what I was going for! lol So, I can't make excuses. :)

Osmar: You hit the nail on the head with the symbolist, etc. observations. I brought out one of my new favorite books, 'Symbolists' published as a 25th anniversary edition by Taschen, for inspiration on this peice, and absolutely "borrowed" color uses, as well as other ideas and inspiration. its a fantastic book, btw. Highly recommend it if you can still get it, and it was cheap.

If anyone would like to see, I started my artblog a couple months ago, and you can see better pics there (but not a lot better, haha). I'd appreciate visitors and advice, and I will post on this forum regularly! THanks everyone! I feel inspired here by the kindness and openess I've seen...

www.color-theory.blogspot.com

rosebard
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Osmar!!! We need to catch up with a chat on messenger sometime soon. How is Floripa and Art?? I usually have a problem with head turning. That is why one side looks wider but the features may be reading as it is front pose. Thanks for your observations I will look at them tomorrow. I will finally have the time to paint.

OH btw, m not a guide anymore heret this forum is a home to me so you guys always will see me around. :D :D :D Ouch Osmar, you just reminded me I should hang more into Portraiture forum. But it is hard to keep up with many forums right now. And I like to be active responding to posts aswell as to posting my own work. So I guess I will have to run into Portraiture forum to see what you up to then!!!! :D

Hi Jen, thanks for your thoughts on the portrait I posted aswell for aswering my question. It is not my selfpotrait though. It is my friend Cida who usually poses for me to practice. I have an interesting website online for you Jen, give me sometime to find it. It will help you construct the figures on your work. Also I have added you blog to my fav, it looks interesting and I will read it and comment as soon as I have sometime. :)

Hi Keron! :)