PDA

View Full Version : Knot too much --- Knot! WIP

CPM
01-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Having gotten so many awesome comments for my previous work. I went all out and took Tess' challenges to heart. Why not mixup all the tutorials into one big mess! We have boarders, Circles, and I'm adding spirals! I will probably be working on this for a while so I figured, this will make a good WIP. Folks will see I've already done a tom of drawing and erasing. Now if I could only learn Bob's technique of drawing "Light until its right:eek:". - Chris
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2007/75227-Knotpage_WIP_1.jpg

TessDB
01-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Oh wow! You get mega-points for ambition, Chris! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did I miss it? What size are you working in?

And just to show that the coffee is working and I *am* paying attention... both rings of your central circle are 2 bands. And the separate knots on the long side of your piece are closed loops (not joined to the rest of the border). Just want to make sure you mean that while it's still pencil... ;)

Looking forward to watching this progress!

Tess

CPM
01-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Tess, Thanks for the encouragement (and your sharp eyes):thumbsup: . I knew I had multiple bands in the circles rings. I just started to link those up. I did not see the floating knots though. I am removing that construction as I am not happy with it:( . For a drawing that big (8x10 or so), I can make it a little more complex. I will also do my best to link it into the center. I have already used up half my gum eraser already:eek: !! - Chris

TessDB
01-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I will also do my best to link it into the center. I have already used up half my gum eraser already:eek: !! - Chris

:eek: I've created a monster!!! :eek:

Once you've figured out what you think you want to do with the border, print or photocopy & use a highlighter or something to trace through where the bands would go. It'll help you figure out where it's safe to break & join.

Waiting for your revisions!

Tess

miek37
01-24-2007, 11:06 AM
"Illumination vs. Calligraphy" or it could be "illumination & calligraphy". Tess, if you want to put this is a new thread under this subforum of Calligraphy maybe it should be there to get attention anyhoo ---- Your beautiful work of knots, circles and borders, for me, come under the heading of "Illumination". The study and production of various fonts done by hand comes under the heading of "Calligraphy". Of course, the two go hand in hand on documents, the Book of Kells, etc. Many people who are just solely doing calligraphy for invitations, gifts, etc. are just concentrating on the layout of the letters and the words and how all the ascenders/descenders need to be considered in the text of a poem for example. The majusels and miniscules; upper and lower cases of the various fonts need to be learned as to spacing of letters and the making of each letter and its relationship to all other letters. Then there is the area of pens, pen points, felt tip, metal, quill, feather, fountain pens, etc. etc. THEN the types of paper, inks, etc. etc.
With illumination work consideration of color, the types of paints, gilding materials, inks, etc. as well as the brushes, pens, etc. etc.
Just thought three threads; one for pure calligraphy, one for pure illumination and one for the two together. I think heraldry would come under the thread headed illumination however, might need its own separate thread if it really gets rolling with our friends from the UK who have study this wonderful art form. So, fellow scribes out there, what say all of you to this idea?? All my best and keep your nibs clean! Helen in North Carolina

TessDB
01-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Helen--

sent you a PM. :wave:

Chris--

How's it going? Totally loopy yet? Hopelessly tangled? Eyes gone buggy? :lol:

Tess

CPM
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Tess, I ripped out those closed loops and can't find anything I like to put back there. Still working on it. Hope to have an update this weekend sometime. - Chris

miek37
01-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Chris - Just a little idea re: the gum eraser - maybe you would like to use a kneaded eraser for your work. It has saved me many times and no crumbs and no smearing, also light pencil at first is a good approach - sort of sneak up on it;) Helen

CPM
01-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks Helen. I used a gum eraser on my first knots and couldn't make it stiff enough to clean up the crossover points (erased too much of the area), but where I am wiping out large sections, I will may go back to the gum. Luckily, I am using a fairly soft lead pencil. That way I get dark lines I can see without much problem erasing. I will give a lighter pencil a try for the areas I an drawing/redrawing. - Chris

miek37
01-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Crazy business isn't it!!! "Knot" only do we have to figure out how to MAKE the knots, circles, etc. but we have to figure out the tools that will help and not hinder us!! We must be gluttons for punishment, but it is so much FUN when it works!! Just a suggestion if you are not already doing it is you might want to try a light box with your basic measurements laid out then put tracing paper over that to do the actual drawing of the knots, etc. I could not work at all without the light box, tracing paper and kneaded erasers! Great help to producing lesson plans and materials as well as commissioned work. Good luck, keep up the wonderful work! :clap: Helen and Sam, the cat:cat:

Merry Scribe
01-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Chris I am back and I can not wait to see how this turnes out you are always so good at this. Also Chris Annie and I would like to thank you for your kind words and support in our hour of need.

Blessed Be

Bria & Annie

CPM
01-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Brian, Thanks for looking in. Glad your back and showing projects. I know its hard, but we are all stronger than we think.

Here is the latest update. I made the knots one cord. It was a pain as I had to redraw the entire center (had to match the directionality of the outer ring).
- Chris
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2007/75227-Knotpage_WIP_3.jpg

Merry Scribe
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
This is really starting to look very good and I can not wait to see the finished product.

Blessed Be

Brian & Annie

TessDB
02-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Think you got it, Chris! :clap: :clap: :clap: Whoo-hoot! :lol:

On the left side, where the circle joins to the border? Your weave pattern kinda fell apart for a second... an under-under-under... but you woulda caught that, while inking. :D

How ya doing with those spirals? feeling dizzy?

Tess

CPM
02-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Tess, I wish I had your eagle eyes. I will check. I started inking the right side I believe. I do not want to blow this pattern (I can't tell you how many times I printed and then used a marker to follow the cord (this time its 2 cords ... oops that made it 4 ... how the heck did I get 3?? ....).

I wanted to lay in some ink on the center nad the border so I could clean up the field a bit. I decided I will make the sprirals a bit more complex (the hazards of not finishing the drawing before you added more to the tutorials.

Brian, I'm having fun. The drawing is frustrating, but the inking is oddly relaxing!

- Chris

TessDB
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Tess, I wish I had your eagle eyes.

It'll come. Do this enough, and you won't even think about it anymore. The bad part? you start trying to create patterns/connect stuff when you're looking at something totally random. like tree bark. Or cracks in the sidewalk. Although, it does come in handy when you're trying to untangle kite string... Why yes, I *am* slightly insane. :D In the quirky & interesting way.

Glad to hear it's relaxing. There's definitely a "zone."

Let me know if you need help with the spirals.

Tess

DSPIT
02-01-2007, 06:24 PM
what a design Chris. no wonder you looking all over, sooo much to look at.

steady, steady:D

CPM
02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Here is the latest update. The inking is done (now just a bunch of cleanup).

Tess, I did catch a few more problems while inking. Hopefully, I caught everything.

Bob, Thanks for the encouragement.

- Chris

CPM
02-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Helps if you post the update :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/75227-Knotpage_WIP_5.jpg

Merry Scribe
02-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Chris this looks wonderful and I truely love it. Are you going to color it or leave it the way it is?

Blessed Be

Brian

CPM
02-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Brian, Thanks! I scanned it and am printing it on card stock so I can try to color it. I may try printing a second copy to add cross-hatch shadows.
- Chris

TessDB
02-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Oh, Excellent! Well done, Chris! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The spirals really work well with this. Hope you'll post the variations you come up with!

Tess