PDA

View Full Version : Daisies

Rose Baggs
01-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Another Still Life. 14"x18" Soft Pastels on Art Spectrum. Thanks for looking. C&C are welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2007/35025-Daisies.jpg

dbjs
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
wow! Very beautifull!! I really like the shadow and light in this. What nice attention to detail. Were you using softies or pencils?

Mike_Beeman
01-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Another beautiful piece!

Sunflwr1
01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Lovely painting, Rose... love the play of shadow and light. Very interesting, very well done!

Marcia

Donna T
01-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Beautiful...just beautiful!

Donna T

David Patterson
01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
One of your best Rose...just wonderful!!:thumbsup:

David

Kathryn Day
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Wow, I love this painting. Fantastic.

Chosen1
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Wow! Great shadows! Nice work.

-Christopher

Constellation
01-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Exquisite! How enchanting! Donna R.

Charles Perera
01-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Rose, this painting is dangerously beatiful......because I could not take my eye off it for quite a while, and keep coming to it as if I am ensorcelled ! I wish I could see a close up of it........

Charles

meglyman
01-22-2007, 07:47 PM
What a great composition!

chewie
01-22-2007, 08:25 PM
unbelievable, stunning, and breathtaking. truly your best yet rose, it holds me in a trance!

Bringer
01-22-2007, 08:39 PM
I give up !:crying:

Kind regards:p

Josť

Paula Ford
01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
WOWOWOWOW!!!! This is fantastic!!

Paula

K Taylor-Green
01-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Stunning Rose!

bock
01-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Rose, this is fabulous! I love everything about it. Did you set this up? The light is so nice. More please!

Pat

Snowbound
01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I hate being one of those people who echo-- but here I am. My eyes popped open when I saw this, Rose. This is one of those pieces that makes you really SEE something in a new, fresh way. It is simply gorgeous. I could live with that on my wall for a long time and never find it old.

Dayle Ann

formerlyunknownart
01-23-2007, 07:30 PM
wow, this is so delicate. I love the big expanse of space... and the plucked daisy... this painting says so much! Mesmorizing!

Doodlebug1967
01-23-2007, 09:04 PM
I love the drama of the lighting. This is awe inspiring. I have to go pick my jaw up off the floor now.

Ronda

Jo Castillo
01-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Rose, they have all said it, super nice!
Jo

karenelkan
01-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Rose,
I love this. It makes me a little sad though! Just right!

*Marina*
01-24-2007, 05:00 AM
Beautiful work, Rose. The colours are just perfect. :clap:

cal studio
01-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Dramatic!!!!!!!!

Rose Baggs
01-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm so glad y'all liked it.:thumbsup: Thanks so much for the nice comments Dorte, Mike, Marcia, Donna, David, Kathy, Christopher, Constellation, Charles, Meglyman, Chewie, Jose, Paula, Kate, Pat, Dayle, Melanie, Ronda, Jo, Karen, Marina and Cal Studio!!!!!

Dorte, I'd say I use 95% soft pastel sticks on my works. I use pencils for the little details I can't get with the sticks.:cat:
Pat, I didn't set this one up...I used a friend's photo for this one. I would have to "cat" proof my house before starting a set up...and keeping it that way until done. I need a real studio..:lol:

mistiaggie
01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
I LOVE this! Very beautiful and mystical!

Bhavana Vijay
01-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow!! This is breathtaking Rose!!!! I love the dramatic shadows and the textured wall...well everything!!:clap:

dlarson
01-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Beautiful Painting! It has a nice sence of drama to it

Dave

*Deirdre*
01-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Rose...it has everything...drama, good composition, colour...and when you've seen all those...you want another look! Beautifully done!

paul444
01-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Great painting Rose, a simple subject well done with a great choice of colours.
A very impressive painting.

Rose Baggs
01-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks so much Mistiaggie, Bhavana, deepat and Paul!!!

Merethe T
01-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Aaaawh, Rose this is beautiful! Love the mood, really really nice work!

Merethe

Karen Margulis
01-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Beautiful work!

Karen

Alison2
01-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Amazing work Rose - such an atmosphere there!

Alison2:wave:

Nancy Leone
01-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Simply beautiful!

Rose Baggs
01-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the kind words Merethe, Karen, Alison and Nancy!!!

Rose Baggs
01-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks so much Dave!!!

chewie
01-31-2007, 11:26 AM
hi rose, had to see this again, yummy! i was wanting to know what color of paper you did this on? i see it was colorfix, maybe i missed the part where you said the color, but i'd like to know. thanks!

i just got a mailer from artists magazine for a contest, i think i should send it to you, enter this one in something!

Rose Baggs
01-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi Chewie, I've used the "elephant" color for it.
What contest is it? I love art contest. Lol... I just don't enter many because of the fees and the trouble of shipping pastel paintings...

Thanks for stopping by again!!!

soap
02-01-2007, 04:15 AM
stunning!

t-sue
02-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Drama and class!!!!! (That describes the artist as well as the painting!!!) It's a beautiful piece Rose!!!!! :clap:

Jo Castillo
02-03-2007, 12:24 AM
You should enter this. You can see last years winners and enter here (http://www.theartistsmagazine.com/) for the Artists Magazine.

This is so nice.
Jo

Alecto
02-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I keep meaning to respond to this, but I've been at a loss. Still, I have to give it a go. I know you aren't expecting a long critique (even a positive one), but I so rarely see still-lifes that I truly like, that I want to share with you what strikes me so about this one (forgive the ego). :o

While I can appreciate the artistry that goes into most still-lifes, with just a few exceptions, I'm not a fan of still-lifes as a whole. Your piece would be one of those exceptions. First, you so very rarely see florals where the flowers are imperfect, but those are the most intriguing ones for me (just my opinion, not meant to detract from anyone else's work). Second, in works where there exists a strong light presence (meaning also, strong shadows), I almost always like well-made shadows better than the subject matter itself, and in this one, your shadow is almost animate. Wonderful! Third, my favorite pieces are always minimalist in color, but appearing more lively and interesting than most "full-color" works, and your is exactly that. And fourth (but not least), I generally dislike overly-busy backgrounds, but I equally dislike overly-vague ones. Your piece has (to my mind) the perfect combination of downplayed (simple) yet well-made (highly textural). All in all, my favorite of all the still-lifes I've seen on WetCanvas. Beautiful!

[Edit: Actually, this is tied for first with Dianna Ponting's "Egg Falls", in my book.] :)

Artaholic
02-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Beautiful!!

meowmeow
02-03-2007, 02:46 PM
What a wonderfully dramatic painting....really nice. It is so simple yet there is so much to look at.

Sandy

Rose Baggs
02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks so very much Soap, T-sue, Jo, Alecto, Artaholic and Sandy.
Thanks Alecto for the beautifully elaborated comments. It was a pleasure to read and realize that something that I've painted has touched somebody in some way. Thanks for letting me know!:clap:

Tom Christopher
02-06-2007, 10:00 AM
This is truely a magical piece. Everything points to perfection-enter this in a show somewhere or gallery so others can enjoy it --tom

bnoonan
02-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Rose - I think the composition is perfect and lends itself to the eye bouncing around from the shadows and shapes and yet has plenty of place to rest and just enjoy the piece.

Lovely work!!! Barb

saintlukesguild
02-06-2007, 12:38 PM
I drank an entire pot of coffee while staring at this. "Critiqueing" in my mind. That critique was bound up in history. When I first saw your work (4,5, whatever years ago) I could not seperate your pretty face and gentle smile from your drawings. And the drawings were pretty because of that until I saw elements of artistry than made me perk up. Photo references all, but from the beginning you took control of them and put your own stamp on them. More and more. Each new thing you posted was an indelible record of artistic growth and direction. Lost track for year or so then caught up with your recent cats. From photos, sure, but those cats had a body language that seemed to breathe, and I could feel in my finger tips the softness of fur.

Now this. Your pretty face has no bearing whatever. I have stared at this a long time and get no sense of photography whatever. In fact, I know with absolute certainty no camera can do this, not even come close. The composition is too perfect. There is a touch of minimilism here that is so bang right it rivets our attention. The fallen petals, the number and placement - if one was removed it would be sorely missed, if one was added it would be too much. (Were they there? I would not be the least surprised if you did some decision making there.) The daisy on the table is spaced perfectly from the vase, and the direction of the stem is invaluable.

At first glance I had a feeling the diagonals exerted a downhill tilt, but the verticle of the vase and dasies, the strong shadow mass on the wall, the minimal strew of petals leading to the daisy with the stem pointing up-left, all counterbalance the hint of tilt. So does the parallel dark where the vase shadow bends up the wall. The whole is a very subtle tension of compositional balance that is... masterful, why not say the word.

You have even taken pastel itself in a different and exciting direction. On one extreme of pastel painting is the over blending that turns the colors into cotton candy. At the other extreme is the fashionable demand that pastel colors be slashed on to produce something called "loose, bold, painterly." Both can in fact make for beautiful and visually rewarding images. But your dasies are under the perfect control of an artist who marches to her own drummer. This image is strongly suggestive of an oil painting - done a few hundred years ago, most certainly. The light and darks have subtle transparency that do not make any shouting claim on any particular medium. The vase is a vase, catching, absorbing, reflecting light in an almost modest way. And all the more substantial for it.

Did I say I am very much impressed by this painting? :)

Saintluke

Rose Baggs
02-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks very much Tom and Barb!!!

LUKE!?!?! Wow...you are back??!!! That's so great!!! :clap: :thumbsup: :wave:
Thank you so much for commenting on this thread! It was like a poem to my ears! :wink2:
Made me even more pleased with what I've accomplished with this piece!
Thanks again for your input Luke. It was deeply appreciated dear friend!