PDA

View Full Version : Mounting photos for sale.

wetpixel
01-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Help. I was in an art show last year and used “Rollataq” to mount my photos to mat board, about 70 percent of the framed photo developed long bubbles, very few of the ones I had in archival clear sleeves developed the bubbles. But now I’m leery of selling these. I was told after the fact that this was not uncommon with resin coated paper, such as Gloss and luster Photo papers.

I’m looking for a new method to mount my photos to sell. To further complicate my problems my wife is highly allergic to many chemical smells. I’m printing on Epson premium luster photo paper from a roll, and I’m told this is a resin coated paper.
Some people recommend hinge mounting for 11x14 and under, but I don’t know if this would work with a rolled paper. Wouldn’t it curl?? I print up to 16x20. Is there a “trick” to making them lay flat and not curl after printing??
What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

Te_Wheke
01-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Help. I was in an art show last year and used “Rollataq” to mount my photos to mat board, about 70 percent of the framed photo developed long bubbles, very few of the ones I had in archival clear sleeves developed the bubbles. But now I’m leery of selling these. I was told after the fact that this was not uncommon with resin coated paper, such as Gloss and luster Photo papers.

I’m looking for a new method to mount my photos to sell. To further complicate my problems my wife is highly allergic to many chemical smells. I’m printing on Epson premium luster photo paper from a roll, and I’m told this is a resin coated paper.
Some people recommend hinge mounting for 11x14 and under, but I don’t know if this would work with a rolled paper. Wouldn’t it curl?? I print up to 16x20. Is there a “trick” to making them lay flat and not curl after printing??
What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Jim I don't know if this is what you are after, but I also print on roll paper as well as canvas on my Epson 7600 up to 24 x 48 inches. I mount mine on foam board with a cut matt board around the front of the print. I attach them to the matt with some good quality tape or masking tape. Then I usually just mount my matted paper prints to foam board with standard double sided sticky tape, or special mounting tape squares. I just place them around the back side of the matt and press down with a roller. I try not to make it too permanent in case the buyer my want to re-mount or re-frame the print. I then either place the matted prints under glass in a frame or cover with clear cellophane type plastic for unframed but matted prints. This helps keep some of the moisture and humidity from causing the paper to roll and warp and is also looks more presentable. Hope this helps

Oldthumbs
01-22-2007, 06:45 PM
In other words, Te, you don't really mount the photo itself directly to the substrate, correct? Only the mat is attached to the backboard? Do you have problems with the photos "warping" or wrinkling after framing, particularly with seasonal changes? I don't imagine that would be a problem with the canvas prints, but what about regular photo papers in the larger sizes?

Ray

Rose Queen
01-22-2007, 08:46 PM
You might also post your question in the Studio Tips and Framing forum.

Oldthumbs
01-22-2007, 09:32 PM
You might also post your question in the Studio Tips and Framing forum.
Whew, there's more to WC than I know. ;)

Ray

Te_Wheke
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
In other words, Te, you don't really mount the photo itself directly to the substrate, correct? Only the mat is attached to the backboard? Do you have problems with the photos "warping" or wrinkling after framing, particularly with seasonal changes? I don't imagine that would be a problem with the canvas prints, but what about regular photo papers in the larger sizes?

Ray Well I do stick it to the foam board at the edges only with double sided tape, I sort of split the tape part on the edge of print and the other on the mat this sticks it to the foam board.

I have not had much of a problem with warping because I generally frame my photos on paper under glass and the pressure seems to press or sandwich the prints so they stay flat. I also pull the print tight as I can when mounting it with tape to the matt. I also tend to print on the thickest roll paper I can get my hands on (bad expression try not to touch the paper), closer to card thickness really.

Thanks for the suggestion Rose!