PDA

View Full Version : Varnishing act...?

brangwyn
01-20-2007, 05:22 AM
Hi everyone
My name's Fred, A new member whom your indefatigable Rose Queen kindly pointed in the direction of this Forum. I have had no formal art training but my recent conversion to working in oils is proving that my lack of training in technique is a serious stumbling block. I'm not sure if this post can in some way be linked to my original one but, in case it can't, the basic problem I created for myself is that I overpainted the face of a commissioned portrait so much that the face literally shines in comparison to the rest of the painting which was lightly painted in glazes, thereby showing the canvas texture. It looks terrible to me and I'm not sure how to correct it. Two options suggested were that I varnish the face with matt/satin varnish or cover the rest of the canvas with heavy varnish to bring the surfaces to the same level of 'shine. Any ideas?

turlogh
01-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Often, a layer of varnish over the whole surface will even out the gloss and unify the appearance of the painting. That's what I would consider first.

You might want to do a test canvas, replicating the effect on your original, so that you can experiment until you have a strategy that works.