PDA

View Full Version : lycos site

nicoletta
04-12-2002, 09:05 PM
has anyone seen or heard of this http://www.lycos.com/
i just visitied the site and it has too much for me to grasp this late in the pm (early to bed..............)
is it a free site(as i understand it)
can it be a good place to have a web page ? free?

and all the other questions on might ask

reply please,,,,,,nicki

Sumafra
04-12-2002, 10:02 PM
Hi Nicoletta, I checked the site rather quickly. I found the 'build a website' link and went there. The site would be a Tripod and it's not free, it's $4.95 per month. I don't know if you realized that.

There seems to be a lot of features available, including a web site building program which I personally find invaluable unless you're one of those who knows HTML.

If you're not looking for a free site, that might be a good place.

timelady
04-13-2002, 05:25 AM
Lycos has been around for ages as a portal/search engine. I've been told (rumours, may not be true) that they are having financial difficulties though and were considering dropping all the portal stuff and just being a search engine. If they do send you over to Tripod (which *used* to have free space, by the way, funny how things change) then they must have a partnership with them.

Try talking to your ISP - they usually have free space for customers that comes with your account. May not be much and might have ads, but all free ones do nowadays. It's a good place to start anyway. You can still buy a domain name (I got mine from register.com) and forward it to your free space too.

Ta,
Tina.

nicoletta
04-13-2002, 06:10 AM
thanks sumafra and timelady for the info.
didnt realize it wasnt free but still for that price it does seem like a good deal espically since i am not that good at html's and have to rely on templates and such.
nicki

RottweilerMom
04-13-2002, 09:04 AM
I have my garden design and my art studio webpages with tripod. I signed them up under two different email addresses. Unless something has changed over the past three months. It's still free web hosting. They do put up pop-up ads in exchange for it being a free service.

You can pay $5.00 month to get rid of the pop-ups and I think the URL they give you is easier and shorter. I haven't gone down that path of paying $5.00/month yet, will though probably by the end of the year for the design stuff. A webpage without pop ups seems a little more professional. $60.00 a year... that's nothing if you think about how much it could cost you if you wanted to market and advertize yourself!

paintergirl
04-21-2002, 08:15 PM
Rottwieler Mom is right, Tripod gives you 20-25 mg of space for free and it's 4.95 to have the banner removed. I am still constructing my site...I don't find the banner intrusive at all. And the price is right! :D