PDA

View Full Version : Calling photo experts, Help! Needing Advice

AHA
01-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Hello,
I'm an oil painter, usually over in plein air, (just a click above this forum.) I have a project that I'm working on and would love to get some advice:
I have done a series of drawings. I would like to photograph them, digitally before I frame them. What I would like to do eventually is use my digital images for a you-tube presentation. I have never done a you-tube project, so I would like to know what what format, size and resolution would you recommend that would be the most flexible for future use?

The tools I have to use right now are a flatbed scanner and a regular nothing fancy Sony digital camera. I appreciate any advice you could give me....I would like to photo everything before I frame under glass. Thank you in advance, Annie Adams

Kallistos
01-19-2007, 04:43 AM
How big are the paintings?

If they're small enough I should think scanning might give you a good result, although it may reflect off the paint. Best thing is to try it and see.

If you want to photograph them, do it outside on an overcast day with the flash turned off. That way you get nice even light that will show the colours in their truest form.get as close as you can to the painting while leaving a small border around it, then crop the border out in a photo editing programme. Also, make sure you're standing face on to the painting, not on an angle otherwise it will look distorted.

Always photograph in the highest resolution, you can always compress the file after.

I don't know about youtube. I assume you just build the presentation in a video editing suite of programmes and then export as a web sized clip.

Windy
01-19-2007, 05:59 AM
The only thing I would add to that is photograph with the least amount of compression too, this will keep as much detail as possible (you could do prints later too then) I also know nothing about you-tube.

Oldthumbs
01-19-2007, 08:55 AM
I assume that you have already checked out YouTube's requirements for videos. They have a help section where you can get that information - click here to go there (http://youtube.com/t/howto_makevideo).

Yes, you will need to use some type of video editing program to create your video. Since the size of the video required for YouTube isn't large, you don't need to create huge original pictures or scans.

Ray

AHA
01-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Very helpful information. My drawings are 6.5 x 9 inches, the paintings are 12 by 16. I have been reading thru old forum discussions and gather that saving in a tiff form should be multipurpose for future use.
Yes Kallistos, I'm with you on the photographing paintings. I often get glare off of oils...the problem with this series is that they are mixed media with quite a bumby 3-D surface in some cases. I'll set up an easel outside and get some good overcast Northwest Washington light which is in abundance these days.
Old thumbs, Thank You for the link, I hadn't found that yet, too busy on you-tube laughing at funny videos to find useful info......
I'm going to try scanning a few drawing this a.m. and and see how they save as original size, 6 by 9". I'll report in later.......
PS I'm trying to learn some of this stuff, working my way thru "Photoshop for Dummies"! Annie

AHA
01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
OK, I just tried a couple....the first one I scanned in at 300 dpi 8 by 11 and it made a giant file 24.1 M, my computer froze up on that......Next one I tried at 100 dpi again 8 by 11, cropped and adjusted things, saved as a tiff with no compression. Everything went smooth on that second one. I don't have much technical knowledge (obviously!), that seem OK?? Annie

Oldthumbs
01-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes, that should be fine for your video use. 300 dpi is overkill for this purpose.

Ray

AHA
01-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Ray, thanks for the back-up. Ok I'm cruising with my scanner now. Thanks so much for your help! If any of you photographers need to know anything about oil paint, just ask. Annie

Oldthumbs
01-19-2007, 02:18 PM
If any of you photographers need to know anything about oil paint, just ask. Annie
What kind of primer do you recommend for under the first coat of oil paint on my house? :D

AHA
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I switched to a stain,.... I bet your hardware store has an Expert working in the paint deptartment! If yours doesn't I'll give you the phone number to our local paint dept. at the local Hardware store.... Marlisse who works there, knows a lot!