PDA

View Full Version : IMAGE COMPRESSION:Important Info For All Hosts And Participants.

Charlie's Mum
09-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Would everyone please read the following and, so we know we all are in the same boat, would you then please just ‘sign in’, to say you’ve noted it?

Many thanks - AMAE Team.

When uploading an image to the site, it’s important that the file size is kept as small as is reasonable to show the image clearly.

Much of the information around WC! emphasises the dpi. or ppi. (dots/pixels per inch) resolution.
BUT
The really important aspect in the size of the file is the COMPRESSION.

For many, this will probably be set automatically in your Image Programme, but it’s worth checking it out.

IF THE COMPRESSION IS HIGH, USERS ON DIAL-UP FIND THE FILES EITHER WILL NOT OPEN OR TAKE A VERY LONG TIME.

The illustrations show what to look for to check the compression and how the resolution doesn’t necessarily have to be at 72dpi.

These examples are in Paint Shop Pro but will be similar in other programmes. You may have to do a little research in your Help menu for your own programme, but you should be able to find something similar - the Compression instructions should be essentially the same.

Illus. 1 shows the Current Information of one of Sherry’s images, with the resolution at 230 dpi, 500x373pixels in size and file size of 87K.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2006/23771-ppi1.jpg

#2 shows the same sized image, set at 72dpi but with an extremely high file size of 378K !!!!!!!! (too high for dial-up users!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2006/23771-ppi2.jpg

#3 shows the Save options for Sherry’s file, set with a LOW COMPRESSION - between 15 and 20, for a low file size.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2006/23771-ppi3.jpg

In your own programme, you may have to experiment with the compression number to get a low Kb number, but basically, the less you compress a file, the better the quality .... the more you compress it, the poorer the quality.

And then, just to re-cap, #4 shows my little painting of Ugly Dog with all the steps used.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2006/30494-All_info_screen_cap._200dpi.jpg

1 - Save As
2 - Jpeg
3 - Options
4.- Standard Encoding
5 - Compression Factor - 15-20, Lowest compression to give good quality. -
6 - OK.

A quick way of finding out the Properties of an Image -

RIGHT click on the last image above, choose Properties, and discover the size of the file in K, and the dpi :D

This works for Internet Explorer- for other browsers, it may be different ... worth a try!

If you need clarification - don’t forget the Help in your programme - in mine, I discovered this -

Copied this from my PSP8 info -

Paint Shop Pro uses two compression methods:

Run length encoding (RLE), which is fast and compresses most multi-layered images to about 75% of their original sizes. It works well with images that contain large areas of the same colour.

LZ77 compression, which is slower than RLE, but can compress an image to a smaller size than RLE. It works well with photo-realistic images.

I’m indebted to Sherry (Chiers) for her help here :D

Here's another method - with thanks to Mike (mbeckett) for putting this together.
Again, your programme may well be diferent, but probably has something similar.

Here's the photo being reduced. it has already been sized dimensionally (maximum 600px height and 500px width for Wet Canvas, and the dpi has been set to 72).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2006/45731-ScreenShot1.jpg

We are going to use the File / Export / JPG Optimizer option. This is also available when you use the Save As... function, select Options and the Run Optimizer button.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2006/45731-ScreenShot5.jpg

You will get this screen next...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2006/45731-ScreenShot6.jpg

You see in the upper right corner where it says Compressed:, and has a number? That is the byte size of the image when you save it. You can control the size by adjusting the Set Compression Value To amount. The higher the number, the more compression and the smaller the byte size of your image. You go lower and the quality of your image will go up, but so will your byte size.

You can check the quality of your image as you play with the compression settings using the preview windows shown.

For Wet Canvas, the maximum byte size is 100,000 bytes (or 100 kb). Adjust the Compression value until it is less than 100,000 bytes. If you don't loose image quality, there's no reason why you can't set the byte size even lower.

Here it is with the new settings and ready to save...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2006/45731-ScreenShot7.jpg

Click OK... and you get the familiar Save Copy As... option. Give your file a name and click Save... and you're done!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2006/45731-ScreenShot8.jpg

I tried this, following Mike's instructions - and I also saved a file with a dpi of 200 and a compression factor of 8 - so if you want to use a higher resolution, just play with the buttons until the kb number is below 100.

Thanks again to all who are helping :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
09-15-2006, 04:10 PM
I have PM'd all recent particpants - so please, don't anyone feel singled out ! :D

RogerPf
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Signing in

P.S. I have been beating this drum for years. :)

Now all you have to do is to get all forums to listen, there is nothing in this that is special to the WDE.

GOOD LUCK
--
Roger

sundiver
09-15-2006, 04:25 PM
OK, now I'm confused. I thought it was the other way around! Is it better to have compression or no compression, or high compression or low compression?
I'm on dialup at the cottage and have no trouble opening the images I post, and it is set to 7/10 (I'm guessing 70%) compression (whatever the heck that means!).
So I thought compression meant a smaller file, hence the lower quality but easier to open on dialup. Have I got this all butt-backwards?
Does anybody on dialup find it difficult to open images that I post? I know some that some members posts are next to impossible to download (don't remember whose) but thought mine were ok.
Teacherrrrrrrrrr? I don't understannnnnnnnnd!

*Deirdre*
09-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Noted! But not yet digested, will try again! Ihaven't worked out how to do a screen capture so used my webcam to show what mine normally is...19.78k is that ok?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2006/33616-Picture_28.jpg
I use the save for web setting

Tressa
09-15-2006, 04:48 PM
I think i got it...we'll see:o
so 86k is good?
Tres

impshlady
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
sorry for the huge pictutres! oops.

Charlie's Mum
09-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Anything under 100K is good!
Even smaller is better - provided the size is big enough to see :D

Dee gets a small size with her method :D

Wendy, the gumph in my prog. says lower compression to give best quality - so it sets at between 15 and 20 for PSP8. (I'm interested to know if you've had probs today with this week's images.)

Mike is giving me info on another way to save the images - I'll add that later.

Roger - we can only deal with our own forums! If there's a problem elsewhere, contact the forum staff :D

Leah - sorry I couldn't get this out earlier!!!!!!!! :eek:

RogerPf
09-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I think i got it...we'll see:o
so 86k is good?
TresWC will allow you 150 k (which is IMO part of the problem). I have never known a full size WC image (ie 500 x 600) that could not be compressed to be under 60 k.

Most of my full size 500 x 600 WC images are posted at around 30 k.

Why WC officaly allows us 150 k is one of life little mysteries :) and on some days it lets though jpg files over way 500K (just to tease the poor people on dial-up, I guess). Ahhh computers who would trust them. :)

--
Roger

scallionman
09-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Sorry; but you've got the compression the wrong way around!

High compression = smaller files

Look at the screen grab above. It says "Lowest compression, best quality". This is becuase as you compress the file more and more (and make it smaller and ssmaller) you loose quality. The highest compression gives the worst quality.

At 500x300 (or there abouts) a jpg compressed 15% will usually come in between 60K and 100K and won't show any visible signs of compression on the screen (though you may notice it if you try and print it). Above 15% compression and you'll start to see jaggies and other jpg artifacts.

Please amend the original posting or you'll have people posting files in the MB size before you know it.

Thanks

David

YYcat
09-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I've read it Maureen, I once forgot to reduce the quality, it was set on 12 so far too large for dial-up. Still in the portraits around the world in the watercolor section, but I won't forget it here.:D

Jayodee
09-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the reminder. It is read, and duly noted. What a difference it can make!! J

wabbitt
09-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Message recieved. But I don't use Photoshop. I have a very old copy, might be version 5 and I hate it for being too complex. So whatever Photo Editor (bundled with Microsoft Office 98) can't handle, I've been relying on Wetcanvas to readjust for me.

Charlie's Mum
09-15-2006, 06:37 PM
That's OK Julie - the WC Uploader automatically adjusts the size if the file is too big - but I think the Attachments works differently - hence some large files getting through.

It's all a bit beyond me!!!!!!!

Chiers
09-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Sorry; but you've got the compression the wrong way around!

High compression = smaller files

Look at the screen grab above. It says "Lowest compression, best quality". This is becuase as you compress the file more and more (and make it smaller and ssmaller) you loose quality. The highest compression gives the worst quality.

At 500x300 (or there abouts) a jpg compressed 15% will usually come in between 60K and 100K and won't show any visible signs of compression on the screen (though you may notice it if you try and print it). Above 15% compression and you'll start to see jaggies and other jpg artifacts.

Please amend the original posting or you'll have people posting files in the MB size before you know it.

Thanks

David

No, it's not wrong it's just in the way it's worded perhaps. Maureen means that figure will give lower kb figure while still giving a good quality image.

Wendy, highest compression = low quality image and extremely low kb.
No compression = very high quality image, but also too high kb.
Compression of 15 to 20 percent will usually give low enought kb, and at the same time a good quality image.

Chiers
09-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Ok, I may be wrong here, but I do not think that the uploader ajusts file size at all. Only the pixel size.

antgeek
09-15-2006, 07:46 PM
A good reminder for all. I forget people are still using dial-up.:eek:

Hezzy
09-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Got it!
- Heather

silverflagon
09-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Thank you for the reminder Maureen, I might of been guilty of one or 2 large ones at times, I just forget to set it low and get caught out. :(
I've got a screen capture of how to set the compression in Photoshop for you, and anyoe else who uses it.

I usually have mine set at about 6, and that does lower the size of the image I've checked.

I don't know how you can alter the size of one once it's saved though, except by saving a copy of it, and then making suire that the new copy saved at a lower number.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2006/44191-imagecmprsn_500.jpg

Chloe_1
09-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Read it, and if I posted in big size...my apology.

orangepassion
09-15-2006, 09:10 PM
I am not sure about compression. I am using the software called iPhoto which came with eMac. I can edit the size of photos using pixels but no mention of compression in iPhoto, I think. I am taking my photos away from my paintings (very primitive), but sometimes the KB numbers are large. I appreciate any suggestions.

Orange

kordelia
09-15-2006, 11:10 PM
everytime i think i understand something, along comes Our Maureen and gobsmacks me up side the head...........

i usually have 72 and ck for 500Xwhatever .... and other than those 2 numbers, i'm lost.... recently, i picked up the wrong copy in my photos, and it said that it was too big, but that it had compressed it for me.... thank you, i appreciate it, but i will try to understand this better.... this is why i cant host... i'm clueless.....:confused: The Nonner

Dewi
09-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Read it, and if I posted in big size...my apology.
Thank you Maureen, would try my best not to forget :)

Elain
09-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Well, I've read it but will have to refer to it with my next post and follow it through then.
I think then Compressed means it looks small but goes down like lead - heavy on the opening time.

Cheers

bluefrog
09-16-2006, 03:26 AM
Signing in. I am familiar with these concepts and try to keep my files well under the 50k.

lorna12
09-16-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks Maureen...from me and my dial-up!:D

Leah...No need to apologize...you didn't know and Maureen has been working on this for a while. But using your images as an example...they were well over the limit on kb's...some were up to 400kb and only one was under at 33kb. Because I'm on dialup I had to refresh the screen 6 times and even then I still had to 'right click' and 'show picture' on a few X boxes. It really does make a big difference to us poor souls who can't get hi speed.

Wendy...I don't have any trouble opening yours...my is set the same way and the kb's are always quite low (usually under 50) and I don't have a problem with mine either. The quality of your images has always looked good on my screen.

Fleur
09-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Read and understood! Apologies if my pics have been too big. I didn't realise there was so much more to it all. Will try and remember for the next time.
Take care all.
MD

ExpressiveAngie
09-16-2006, 09:09 AM
lol- somebody better come over and help me......

impshlady
09-16-2006, 09:48 AM
I have resized them all now and reposted them in the same thread so anyone who was having trouble then they should be fine now!

I always thought that the lower the number in the resolution box (72 for example) would mean that the picture was less detailed, less clear etc, but i realise now that if it is pixels per inch, then if each inch only has 72 pixels in it, and the picture is 500 pixels wide then it will end up at (does rough maths in head) about eight inches across! no wonder you cant download them!

i reset the resolution on all of them in photoshop to 200 dpi, so now each inch has 200 pixels so the photo is about 2" x 3"! a huge difference!

So glad i have figured this out. i must have been posting huge pictures the whole time!

Leah

impshlady
09-16-2006, 09:59 AM
*sorry...that would be no use at all. maybe i should have resized the screenshots using the program i was talking the screenshot of....LOL :D*
this is what the resize window in photoshop 7 looks like but the resize function on most programs will have the same functions i think. I have a few so i'll check them out.
L

impshlady
09-16-2006, 10:08 AM
*image deleted because of ironically huge filesize....rofl*

this is what it looks like in Corel Painter IX (the capture program wouldnt just capture the small window...)

SpriteLight
09-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Does anybody use Photoshop to make a gif? I usually take the original jpg file and do a 'Save for Web' option in Photoshop, make a gif, where there's a tab for Image Size and I put in around 18 or 20 percent (my digi camera is usually set to a high res setting). With the gif [I believe] there's no issue about compression and filesize/image size is pretty straightforward. In addition to being really a snap to do.

Charlie's Mum
09-16-2006, 10:33 AM
LOl Leah! 997k on each of them!
Does this capture mean you have the current one, then you enter new numbers in the box below for the new size?
I haven't used coreldraw since version 4!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Beckett) has put something together for us - will be adding it later :D

Charlie's Mum
09-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Does anybody use Photoshop to make a gif? - Spritelight

Julie - I don't think it matters how you do this, which method you use, as long as the kb size of the file is kept below 100k. :D

Any information added to this thread, which will help others, is good :thumbsup: - none of us has exclusive knowledge of the 'right' way!

LOL Angie and Nonny - you know there's always someone around to help - but you're probably doing the right thing already ;)

I have now added the examples Mike did for us - so if you can, please review the first post! Thanks :D :thumbsup:

mbeckett
09-16-2006, 12:14 PM
hi guys... :wave:

just a note to clarify some confusion about dpi...

the average computer monitor works around 72 to 75 dpi, so even if your image has a higher dpi, you will not see the difference on the screen. the higher dpi will really only make a difference when you are printing.

so the moral of the story... if your image is for displaying on the web only (ie. posting to WetCanvas), there is no reason to save it with a dpi greater than 72 dpi. that is an automatic size saver.

and a note about gifs...

gifs can only contain 256 colors, whereas jpgs contain millions. if you have a choice, you will get much better quality for the size by saving photos as a jpg. where gifs work best is if you have an image with large blocks of the same color (like cartoon art).

tubbekans
09-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Well, to my thinking what Scallionman said sounds right, more comnpression equals smaller file size. But, I don't use PSP or Jasc, and terminology in different programs sometimes varies a lot. So that alone can get confusing.

Anyway, here is a screen shot of a portion of the "Save for Web" window in PS Elements. This is the feature I use when preparing a photo for web posting. The original file in this case was almost 8 MB, but the save for web feature shrank it down to 19 Kb. And it still looks fairly decent. I set the Quality setting to LOW to get this small file size. A setting of medium gave it a file size of 40 KB.

In PS Elements, you set the pixel dimensions first in the "New Size" area, and then click the "Apply" button to actually change them. Although sometimes it seems to do that by itself.

Oh, another thing I do is always save the photo with a new name, and identify it as the file I want to upload to the web. I do this by saving the file as "Original-file-name_web". This way I never get confused (ha ha :wink2: ), and also I have the original file to work with later. JPEG compression loses q bit of quality every time you save it, so it is good to always save as a new file name and keep your original unedited file as a source for later stuff.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2006/32632-PS-Elements_web.jpg
This is the 19 KB image "Capital_Cannas_web.jpg"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2006/32632-Capital_Cannas_web.jpg

HRH Goldie
09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi Maureen and all, I hope I'm not guilty of these things - although in the past I think I have. I surely can't understand all of the techno stuff so rely on my photo programme to do the magic bit. I tried to comprehend everything that was written so consider myself signed in and added to the "read it" list. However how much use it will be who knows.:o Thanks to all Maureen and people like Paul who have also added more info - you're great chaps.:thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
09-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Mike - thanks for the clarification re dpi resolution!

Paul - thanks for the contribution and illustration :D
I think we're all saying essentially the same thing - the less you compress, the better the image!
I knew about the jpeg/losing bits thingy too! Like you, I try to keep the original intact and copy for uploading - with a modified title (otherwise I'd get confused :lol:

I know some progs have a Save for Web facility - but it doesn't appear in mine (Mike will now tell me where it is! :lol::lol:)

Thanks again - as Christine says - ...you're great chaps. :D

leamacd
09-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks Maureen for your info. I still think the easiest way to upload images to the website is by using the insert image icon. The program takes the original image and saves it to comply with the rules. People don't have to know alot about computers, compression, dpi etc. The pictures that I've put up on the site using this method have been very small (bite wise) but they display fine. Is there an advantage to sizing them yourself?

mbeckett
09-16-2006, 03:52 PM
I know some progs have a Save for Web facility - but it doesn't appear in mine (Mike will now tell me where it is! :lol::lol:)

Thanks again - as Christine says - :D

soon as you said that, i had to go look... :rolleyes: :D

only thing i could find in PSP 10 is the Web toolbar. it has a direct link to the jpg optimizer i already described. shorter way of getting there though. just go View / Toolbars... and activate the Web toolbar, if you want to try it out. works in PSP 9 too.

last night, when i opened PSP 10, i received a notification for the release of PSP 11! i just can't keep up anymore!!! :eek: :lol:

ottwork
09-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Signing in - got it - thanks!!

Charlie's Mum
09-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Lea - if you're happy using the Uploader tool to sort things, that's fine!
I think it's a relatively new addition - we used to get images bounced back if they were too big ....... I think the present owner (Kerri) added the facility last year.

Hehe Mike - thought that would push you !
I'll try the view/toolbars and see what happens ....... still learning version 8, so definitely won't be upgrading in the near future!!!!!!!! :eek:

Chiers
09-16-2006, 04:59 PM
In an attempt to clarify,

First, PPI/DPI is totally irrelevant when it comes to posting!
There is NO need to change whatever it is origionally. If it comes out of your camera/scanner at 600ppi thats fine too. Just forget about it, put it out of your mind. (This applies to posting on the web only!)

Second, Every program will be a little different when it comes to what the box to set saving preferences looks like. There is no way to give an explaination of each and every program. Even within a single program there is often more than one way to do it. The important thing to remember is 'compression', not 'PPI'. Then find how its set in your own program. I believe when you have the 'Save AS' box open there should be an 'Options' button that will lead you to the place to make your settings.
Highest compression = low quality image and extremely low kb.
No compression = very high quality image, but also too high kb.
Compression of 15 to 20 percent will usually give low enough kb, and at the same time a good quality image.

Third, no one is at fault for not knowing this! It has been drilled into us over and over in every art group I have ever been in, that if we set our images to 72ppi that makes it appropriate for posting. It is no wonder that we all thought that was enough. However, remember ppi is totally irrelevant in this.

Merriel
09-16-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm on dialup. I read the instructions and I will try to remember them.

That could be a problem. I'll do my best.

leirrem. Thanks for pm me....

Meimei
09-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Read it. Don't understand it, but read it. When I go home next year I'll get my computer wizard brother-in-law to tutor me. So far I've been using the uploader so I hope its doing whatever it is needs doing.

kordelia
09-16-2006, 09:08 PM
veeeeerrrrrrrrry interesting:cool: i got an HP program when i got my digi camera, but was using it without really 'looking' at it.... sunamagun!!! there's all the stuff you guys are talking about...... i just put one on Postcard Exchange and 72dpi, 500X321 compressed to 15k............ (or something like that:lol: :lol: )

ElleZee
09-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Signing-in. Got it. I will be sure to double check form here on in....to be 100% sure.

DominicM
09-17-2006, 07:16 AM
noted.. thx..

impshlady
09-17-2006, 10:37 AM
i resized the images again...compressed down to miniscule proportions! hurrah! :D

sielograms
09-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Signing in, I hope I have been posting correctly. I usually use the upload image icon, the image size is never larger than 600 high x 500 wide. When I use attachments, same thing, the image size is always under 600 x 500.
Sharon

diash
09-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Signing in - I have always resized to come into the 500 and less by 600 and less category. However, I really am not technical and although I have duly noted the rules, I cant say that I fully understand the procedure. I promise I will double check anything before I send it in and will ask someone (Deepat probably) if I am stuck. Thanks for the trouble you have gone to to explain the guidelines.

Charlie's Mum
09-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Sharon - if you use the Uploader it will make sure the kb size is OK :D

Di - thanks for popping in - plenty here to help if necessary :D .... you can always use Dee's method of saving to the Web :D

cmwynn
09-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Like others, I am more confused than ever. I have been guilty of setting the dpi to 72, largest edge to 425 pixels, thinking I was doing the right thing, but can't figure the rest out. I will ask my computer guru/daughter next time she comes to visit to help me. Sorry for not getting the images small enough for dial-up. I had cable for 5 years, then 9 months on dial-up before they ran DSL out here. I do know how slow it can be.

Charlie's Mum
09-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Connie, there's nothing wrong with using 72dpi, just that it doesn't automatically reduce the file size ......... but whatever you're doing seems to be OK because I checked your images (right click and Properties) and they're each under 100k :D :thumbsup:

UPLOADER - sorry peoples! Sherry tells me I'm wrong about the re-sizing in file size with this. She's done some testing and although it reduces the dimensions, it doesn't reduce the kb size :eek: .... sorry!::o:

kordelia
09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Maureen.... i just checked my posted pic with right click properties.... gave 500X301, date, 100000000bytes, but not the condensed kb's... where'd you find that??? my Fotog friend, Snowgoose, sent me some gorjus shots from his mntn climb trip....... they were 15 up to 28 kbs. i asked him about it (havent heard yet), but when i copied some to paint, they were 180 dpi!!!!! i am POSITIVE i am totally confused about this..:( ... i sent some of my latest in an email to a friend; as attachments, they came up 204, 224, 182. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
09-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Nonny - divide by 1000 - or knock three noughts off! :D

If your postcard is in the P/c thread, I'll take a look! :D

Hehe Nonny - I've just checked your Baggy Pants p/c (love it BTW!) and it's 500x361 in dimensions,and 18336bytes = 18.3k.......... definitely weeny! :D

angelcat
09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I will study and comply....

kordelia
09-19-2006, 03:50 PM
o Maureen.... you're SERIOUS... knock off 1,000.... o duh.... going back and ck some of my stuff that showed up over 200 when i emailed it out.....:wave:
Angelcat's smarter on this stuff than i am.... when she gets it, she'll explain to me...........:p

Charlie's Mum
09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
... knock off 1,000.... o duh

No!, Divide by a thousand ... OR, knock of the last three digits ...... 18336b = 18,336 OR, 18 kb (plus the odd 336 bytes!) ......... are we having a maths lesson here? ;) ;) ........ but it'll be easier if angelcat can show it to you in person :D

Maurice214
09-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Ok, I read and sort of understand. I don't use photo's, but scan with a HP Scanner/printer. The picture I am posting today scanned automatically scanned at 200 pixels, 2084 wide, 1350 high which equalled 8440 KB as a TIF file. I normally re-open this,resize it to 500 wide by 384 high and which drops it to 486 KB Then change to 72 , which still equals 486 KB Then, save as a JPEG file and when JPEG option is chosen there is a scale From low quality (small file) to high quality (Large file), I go from the top (10th mark) down to 80% (8th mark) and when saved the file is 32.2 KB. after setting this at 80 % the first time, each time I choose JPEG it is still set at 80%, so I don't need to think :) This is good, thinking is difficult.
So if anybody is using a scanner and wondering thats one way to do it (at least if you have the same software as they gave me with the scanner):lol:
Maurice

KathyDebby
09-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Got it, thanks!!

maritajill
09-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Hmm, got it I think - tho I'm more confused over the quality.

Up to now, I've Saved to Web on Photoshop, changed the dimentions and then looked for the smallest size file for the quality - hope it's been working.

However I was told at Charmouth I didn't have to do this, the new software coped with setting it correctly - just to Upload and post it - and I tried that!

- Sorry, this obviously was WRONG:eek:

Charlie's Mum
09-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Up to now, I've Saved to Web on Photoshop, changed the dimentions and then looked for the smallest size file for the quality - hope it's been working.

Marita - if this has been working, I'd continue with it ......... the size of the file probably doesn't make a lot of difference for those of us on Broadband (or whatever the generic name is!) - it's with dial-up that it makes a huge problem. Sherry tells me the WC software just changes the dimensions, not the compression (the site doesn't seem to mind the large files now - but our personal connections do! :D)

MidnightMusician
09-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Roger! :thumbsup:

azulparsnip
10-03-2006, 10:50 AM
okay, and alot whole heapin' helpin' of thanks for all your moderators and guides do here for us......

SydneyH
10-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Got it! Thanks for posting this.

Life has been crazy and I haven't participated in WDEs for a while, so I just now saw this. I usually try to adjust everything so that it's well under 50 KB and the details visible.

Sydney

OzonaLori
10-24-2006, 08:29 AM
I guess I never responded to this, but I do understand this. I usually save my files in photoshop with a compression setting of 8- it is the lowest number in the compression settings for HIGH quality. (The highest setting in Photoshop CS is 12).
I then use the "Save for Web" option which makes the file a small size for the net. I generally strive for a compression setting of 8 and a file that is less than 100 kb's before I upload to wetcanvas. Seems to work, and I haven't had anyone complain on slow uploads of my work, but if anyone has had trouble, let me know! See you this weekend for the WDE.

jemgold
11-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Read the info and think I understand it. Thanks for posting.
Carolyn

Charlie's Mum
12-05-2006, 12:59 PM
This is now all linked into the hosting thread- so will be un-sticking it! :D