PDA

View Full Version : Printing a set of gridlines over a picture

raptor
01-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Is it possible to print a set of gridlines superimposed on a jgeg file for the purpose of scaling and tranfer to art paper for painting.

I have PSP

Thanks for any ideas

Raptor

Ron_Ackerley
01-18-2007, 08:19 AM
In PSP press Ctrl+Alt+G to turn on gridlines. To work with them through your printer though you will need to do a couple of things though.

Select View/change grid guide and snap properties. on the lower left you will see the grid size for the current image (usually 10X10 pixels). If you want an inch or centimeter grid simply change the units on the pulldowns.

Once you have that set and you have your image onscreen, press the printscreen key on your keyboard. then press CTRL+V to paste as a new image. Crop the excess from the image and print the image.

Oldthumbs
01-18-2007, 08:44 AM
See this recent thread - Gridlines (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378793)
This should take care of you.

Ray

Ron_Ackerley
01-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi Ray, good thread there but unfortunately its not PSP (Paint Shop Pro) related, and not all the steps are the same actually. I looked myself hoping there might be a utility for it in PSP I wasnt aware of.:))

Before Jasc was sold to Corel I worked at JASC as director of media, content and technical support. So I can hardly contain myself when someone asks a PSP question.

Regards,

Oldthumbs
01-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the Computers/Tech forum, Ron, and welcome to WetCanvas. It's nice to see a fresh face pop up here.

Hi Ray, good thread there but unfortunately its not PSP (Paint Shop Pro) related, and not all the steps are the same actually.
True, but you can use some of the techniques with PSP with slight modification.

Before Jasc was sold to Corel I worked at JASC as director of media, content and technical support. So I can hardly contain myself when someone asks a PSP question.
Congrats, you've just become our new go-to guy for PSP. :D Hope you are prepared. ;)

Ray

raptor
01-19-2007, 06:32 AM
In PSP press Ctrl+Alt+G to turn on gridlines. To work with them through your printer though you will need to do a couple of things though.

Select View/change grid guide and snap properties. on the lower left you will see the grid size for the current image (usually 10X10 pixels). If you want an inch or centimeter grid simply change the units on the pulldowns.

Once you have that set and you have your image onscreen, press the printscreen key on your keyboard. then press CTRL+V to paste as a new image. Crop the excess from the image and print the image.

Thanks for your help it certainly worked.
I had to change the grid line colour in order to see it more clearly.
The resulting image is a bit small so I am looking at ways to increase the size.

Ron_Ackerley
01-19-2007, 07:59 AM
after you have created the duplicate of the image and cropped it to leave only the parts you want, look at the title bar at the top of the image. it will say something like "myimage@80%". if it is less that 100% you can use your mouse wheel to enlarge/reduce the image, or the Num pad + or - keys.

If on the other hand you are wanting to resize the image permanently so you can transfer the image to canvas, then you will want to follow these steps.

To change the resolution (print size) of an image:

Choose Image > Resize (Shift + S) to open the Resize dialog.

Clear the Resample using check box.

In the Print Size group box, enter the new Width and Height values or the new Resolution value. Choose measurement systems from the drop-lists to the right. For information on selecting image resolution, see About Image Size, Resolution, and Color Depth.

Click OK.

That should result in something closer to your desired result. Good luck! :)

raptor
01-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Many thanks for your help - i am now using these tipps for having another go at my son's portrait.

Raptor

raptor
01-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your help it certainly worked.
I had to change the grid line colour in order to see it more clearly.
The resulting image is a bit small so I am looking at ways to increase the size.

Just a follow up - I found a PSP Tutorial with Video on the web at :=
http://www.zimmertech.com/tutorials/paint-shop-pro/12/grid-tutorial.php

It looks interesting I will try it out tommorrow.

Raptor

Ron_Ackerley
01-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi again, I took a look at the tutorial site you mentioned and I think this may be an even better solution. Thanks for the link though as its what gave me the idea.

1. Create a new image 100X100 pixels with a transparent background.
2. Select the Rectangle tool http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2007/98306-Image109.jpg
3. Set line width to 1 or 2, uncheck vector, and use either rectangle or square as the shape. Anti-aliasing will make no difference because of the line type so un-check it.
4 Using only foreground coloring (disable the background pallete) Draw your square from corner to corner. It should look like this.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2007/98306-Image110.jpg .

Now save the image to your "Program files/Jasc Software inc/Paintshop Pro 9/Patterns" folder as "MyGrid.psp".

To try out your new grid, use the flood fill tool and select pattern then click on the forground color panel to open the "Material Properties" Dialog. Click on the Pattern tab, then select your new grid pattern from the pulldown menu next to Current Pattern.

This will give you a permanent and scaleable Grid you can access easily any time you want to use it. Thanks to you and your link you and I can now have an easy to use grid that is easy to access and versatile.

Hope that works for you, but if you have trouble let me know and I will be happy to help in any way I can.

PS. I have attached the Grid image in zip format so you can simply unzip it to its proper location, that will save you quite a bit of hassle:)

Regards

esee
01-25-2007, 05:52 PM
:wink2:
For those of us not fortunate enough, yet, to own PSP, "PaintbyGrids' has software just for this purpose. Nothing to using it at all.

Ron_Ackerley
01-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Esee, wow thats a great little utility! From what I saw it even provides color selection options, neat feature. Have you found it to be relevant with other paint manufacturers or is it more brand specific?

Either way thats a neat and inexpensive tool.

regards,

superdad
01-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi, I was about to post a question and couldnt help but reply here. A great software program called glasseye (stained glass software) allows you to import a background (your jpeg) and you can click the grid button and you have a grid on your picture. With very little learning curve you can change the size of the background picture and the grid size. Also you can decide the exact spot that the grid is oriented from. You can download a trial version at www.dfly.com (http://www.dfly.com). I've used it for the last couple years and its invaluable at getting a grid over my pictures. Let me know if you need any help with it. I really hope you'll give it a look.....Jim