PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait -I may regret this

Garbonzo
01-17-2007, 08:29 PM
I've never done people before on scratchboard so I've got mixed feelings about this. It's 8x10 black ampersand. I wish I had a better feel for this stuff but I had to give it a try.:o http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2007/92796-Scratch_Harold.jpg

Trilby
01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
You know, Harold, yu just have a natural affinity for scratchart and it for you. This is excellent. It has strength, shows personality and I like the rougher texture of the spacing of your cross hatching. I am wondering if your experience with carving which is also a subtractive process aids you at all in the scratch work? The only suggestion I would have is to brighten the highlights on the face on the left side of the painting to match the lighting on the shirt and to add the smallest glint of a catch light in the eyes. BTW ---handsome fellow :)
TJ

Garbonzo
01-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Thankyou TJ, I think I still rely on my drawing skills, as they are, too much, I try to imitate some of the things I see on the forum here but I haven't been able to get that soft touch with the tonal value. I don't know if it's the carving background or what but I do enjoy the challenge of scratching. I wil try your suggestions.

Dave Slaughter
01-17-2007, 11:53 PM
It looks great to me.

ValorieCox
01-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Beautiful work Harold, you should be very proud of this piece! I think it's always harder when it's a self portrait to view it objectively. I hope to see some others when you finish. Val

CreativeHal
01-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Hey Harold, WOW. As Tony the tiger would say - "That's G-R-E-A-T." What the heck do you mean by, "I've got mixed feelings about this?" You should hold it up high and brag. I wish I could work with that technique. Beautiful job Harold.

Hal

Bertoni
01-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Harold:
You've done a dynamite job with the portrait.:clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm starting a scratchboard portrait of my wife holding a cat and hope I can do 1/10th as well as you did here!!! Fine work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garbonzo
01-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Dave, thankyou.

Val, You are very kind, thankyou. I've never done a self portrait before much less trying to do it in clayboard. It was fun but nerve racking at the same time. It's slow but I think I'm learning just by looking at the great stuff others are posting. Everyone is so great about showing details of how they get their effects.

Hal, thanks a lot, I am happy that I was able to get the piece finished. Trying to get the tonal values was very difficult for me. It does make me confident in trying to do people in the future.

Bertoni, thank so much, this makes me appreciate so much more the work others have been doing here. I appreciate you're encouragement and look forward to seeing your wife and cat portrait. I always enjoy seeing your postings.

Mary Woodul
01-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Harold, this is an incredible portrait, so much character and pristine finish. I would think that portraits in scratchboard would have a higher degree of difficulty.

Obedec
01-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm speechless, this is fabulous!
Karen

Diana Lee
01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Harold this is great!! I, for one, am impressed.

Diana

Garbonzo
01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Mary, thankyou very much. I've done a lot of portraits in pencil and airbrush in the past but only do them on occasion now. I'm pretty rusty and adding the difficulty of the scratchboard I wasn't sure that I could get it to turn out at all.

Karen, thankyou very much too. You are way too kind. But I am learning.

Diana, thankyou so much, I really appreciate the encouragement. I'm really enjoying the clayboard so much but it is different than what I'm used to. The portrait isn't exactly right but is pretty close. It gives me hope though.

Rodman
01-18-2007, 08:38 PM
And I thought I was the best looking guy in the scratchboard forum...LOL...wait...maybe that came out wrong...wonderful drawing..thanks for posting..Rod-Man

Garbonzo
01-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks Rod-man, I tried to enhance it and make me look like a hundred dollar bill but it didn't work I had to settlel for a fifteen dollar bill, :-) I appreciate you stopping to look.

Calleorange
01-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Harold, nice work! Keep it up.

Garbonzo
01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Thankyou very much, I really appreciate that.

Dave Slaughter
01-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I think you'd go well on the face of large currency. Scratchboard would fit well in that venue.
Speaking of looks, I was told once I look like a movie star - unfortunately they were referring to Alfalfa of the "Little Rascals" fame.

Garbonzo
01-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks Dave that's very nice of you. Putting my mug on currency would be the quickest way I know to devaluate it. By the way Alfalfa was quite the guy in his day just ask Darla.

Diana Lee
01-21-2007, 03:51 PM
I live a few blocks from Darla Lane. She retired up here in Northern California. I was also neighbors for a short while with one of the hula dancers in the episode of the Little Rascals where there was a talent show. I guess I should say one of the talent show episodes. This has nothing to do with scratchboard, but I couldn't help myself from throwing out some useless trivia.

Diana

Garbonzo
01-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Diana that's pretty cool. The Little Rascals are some of my favorite childhood memories.

PatrickHedges
11-25-2008, 06:53 AM
I never saw this one so I'm digging it up out of the bowels. Very nice work Harold. You scrub up well :lol:

ARTMUTT
11-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Harold,

I think you did a fantastic job!!

theBoardLady
11-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Great job, Harold. You should insert this in the "Who are you" sticky. :D

theBoardLady

Tapecat
11-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Looks GREAT!

Sportin the Big Stash!!!!
Are we long lost relations??

GoldenArt
11-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Wow , a self portrait in scratch board.(I can't even imagine) Great job on this. Rick

ElizaLeahy
11-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Not just a good scratchboard, but a handsome subject! I love your moe!!! ;)

Garbonzo
11-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks Patrick, you know things are slow when you go dig up an old mug like this. I guess it's obvious why I try to stick to animals.

Thank you ARTMUTT.

theBoardLady, thank you I appreciate that but I think I'll have to think about that. :)

Thanks Tapecat, I've had my fu for a long long time and heck we ain't long lost, you ARE my scratch brother.

Rick thank you, I can hardly imagine it myself. I don't generally waste my time doing pictures of myself.

Thank you Eliza, you are most kind, you know how to make an old scudder blush.

PatrickHedges
11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks Patrick, you know things are slow when you go dig up an old mug like this. I guess it's obvious why I try to stick to animals.
Oh sorry, I thought this was an animal http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2008/60252-alaugh.gif

lorna12
11-25-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm glad Patrick dug this up...I didn't see it before...it's great, Harold!!