PDA

View Full Version : Pour The Wine

Pogo
01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
I originally posted this in the wrong forum, so am reposting. This is my first attempt at scratchboard, since I started making art about 5 years ago. I usually paint--watercolor or acrylic. It was fun to do, but pretty slow going. I'm so impressed with the scratchboard I've seen others do on this website. Pogo
:cat:

Garbonzo
01-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Great job Pogo. I especially like the wine flowing into the glass. Pretty cool. It's easy to get hooked on scratching. Take my word for it.

Obedec
01-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I like the clarity of this piece...great job.
Karen

Bertoni
01-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Nice work Pogo!!:clap:
What kind of board is it done on? Claybord or Essdee?

Pogo
01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
When I see the work of real scratchboard artists, I realize I have a long way to go! Thanks for the kind words, tho. To Bertoni: I just did this on cheap scratchboard paper. I just bought a large piece and cut out the 5x7 size I used for this piece. Guess I'm not ready for the big time yet! Pogo

Bertoni
01-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Pogo:
Cheaper board works too!!! You're ready:thumbsup:

Trilby
01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
This is a great first effort in scratching! The glass is done believably and I too like the swirl of the wine coming down the side of the wine glass. My only suggestion would be to ground the objects, perhaps a bit of reflection where a shadow would normally go.
TJ

Diana Lee
01-17-2007, 11:58 AM
I think you have done a great job here. I would suggest that you start using the higher quality boards. The higher quality boards perform better and you don't want to find yourself with a beautiful work of art that will crackle in ten or fifteen years. If you can't find some locally check Dick Blick, the good boards are not that expensive. Keep scratching!

Diana

Pogo
01-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I plan to use Trilby's suggestion to ground the objects. They do seem to be floating as I look at this again. Thanks for catching that. After I study the work of real scratchboard artists, I'll take the suggestions to try better quality boards. Thanks to all. Pogo

Dave Slaughter
01-17-2007, 11:51 PM
It looks real good to me. This is a real nice work.
A pack of three 5x7 black clayboards doesn't cost very much. You probably wouldn't paint watercolors with a dime store children's set. I don't think you need to do much studying to use the better boards. This piece is really nice.

Pogo
01-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow, Dave!! Do you do some incredible work! And thanks for the good words. Guess I could spring for some better quality materials now that I've worked with the process a little. Pogo

Pogo
01-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I just checked the price of clayboard and it's not expensive at all. Guess all I was familiar with was the scratchboard paper. I'm anxious to try out the board.

A question for any scratchboard artist: Do you generally draw your picture with pencil, chalk, before starting to scratch, or do you transfer from another source? Thanks for the info. Pogo

Diana Lee
01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I always transfer after breaking down the image to the absolute necessary lines. It can be hard to hide pencil marks that aren't scratched off. The transfer paper I use depends on the board (white or black) and the image. On Essdee I use the "old pencil on the back of the drawing" since it doesn't take transfer paper well.

Diana

Pogo
01-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I've never used transfer paper, but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info. Pogo