PDA

View Full Version : My experience w/Uarts

Anuran
01-15-2007, 03:42 PM
I searched through the forums but, found very few threads regarding this school. I have just finished my first semester and am beginning the second. Anyway, my point here is that I am a current student and would happily share my view on the structure of the foundation year, my experience with the Professors and the University as a whole to anyone who is interested.
L8r,
Dave

ryot
02-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Sure I've been wondering, Universality or a private arts college.

Anuran
02-08-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure what your question is. University of the Arts is located in Philadelphia and is technically considered a University because it has three colleges. The three colleges are: the College of Media and Communication, College of Performing Arts and the College of Art and Design. It does however, have the feel of a private art school especially when you consider that all three internal colleges are art related. If you have specific questions I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

BOA52004
02-17-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm going to write a very limited post regarding schools; I do not recommend the Mary Schiller Myers School especially for older students. I was one and I was treated badly* there. I'll let the reader figure out where its located.

I also have talked with several private galleries who've advised me "fine if I got my degree" now forget everything you were taught." I find I cannot forget everything but I'm aware that my own style is still "too tight" and I need to learn to relax.

Thanks.

*Discrimination and worse.

Anuran
02-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Nice to meet you Boa, I'm from Ohio originally as well. I moved as a result of my enlistment in the Air Force, I was stationed at McGuire AFB and from your signature I can see that you have a soft spot for vets. Another thing we have in common is that I am an older student as well. As far as I know, I am the only 30 year old freshman at Uarts right now. The reason I created this thread was so that I could share my on-going experience with the school. When I originally researched art schools in my area, I found little infromation from students but the stuff I did find was invaluable. So, I wanted to help out anyone who might be researching schools and trying to make a decision by relating my personal experience with uarts.

With that being said, I disagree with you on the value of education and although I cannot discount your opinion, especially since I am still a student, I would appreciate it if you opened your own thread. I don't have a problem with you bashing schools or whatever, after all it's a free country but I am telling you to do it in your own thread where I will not be associated with your opinion. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT ONE SPECIFIC SCHOOL CALLED UNIVERSITY OF THE ARTS AND MY EXPERIENCE WITH IT.

As a rebuttal to all those who can read ...and can understand my purpose in this thread, whether you choose to self-educate or seek it elsewhere, the importance of education is paramount. Look, lemme put it this way, if you research the statistics regarding unemployed artists or those who have been forced to work outside of their chosen field, you may find them very discouraging. If, like me, you want to do everything in your power to become successful then finding a mentor or an atelier or university that can teach you and increase your chances of success is a no-brainer. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF EDUCATION in the military we had a phrase that summed this up...."SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS". Anybody else got a problem with schools, feel free to pm me but let me have this thread to help out those who are interested. Thanks
Dave