PDA

View Full Version : WIP Fie the dog

dbjs
01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi you all

Sorry I've been gone some time. But now I'm back! ^^

I'm working on a commision dog named Fie at the moment. Here's what I've made so far:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2007/70378-wip1lille.jpg

And the 2'end wip:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2007/70378-wip2lille.jpg

And the last wip for now:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2007/70378-wip3lille.jpg

Derwent pastel pencils on velour paper. C & C's welcome. :D
Thanks for looking.

rain24
01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Hello,

I don't come to the soft pastel forum often, so I'm not familiar with your work. From what I see so far though, it is EXCELLENT! :clap:

I love your attention to detail. Those eyes positively glow and I can almost touch the fur. Really good job on the teeth too. Great start! I cannot wait to see this one progress. I'm definitely coming back for more :D.

~Rain

Merethe T
01-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Awesome!! Excellent work on the fur, the eyes are amazing, the mouth/teeth are excellent.....I'll be watching this beauty come to life....

Alison2
01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow,

Just gorgeous! Love the detail on the nose - thanks so much for sharing this as a WIP. I'm glued to the screen!

Alison2:wave:

Netty
01-15-2007, 05:23 PM
So beautiful, love the fur, and the eyes are fantastic! This dog is really coming to life.... Looking forwards to seeing more....

Did you use a mixture of black and dark brown for the dark fur parts? I am just curious as I am playing around with black substitutes and working out what looks best.

This looks excellent!

Annie-Maree:)

bnoonan
01-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Wow - it's so tempting to tell you to stop and just let it look like the dog is leaping out of the page.... if you ever get inspired to do another piece... consider not finishing it.

Outstanding and life like.

Barb

Mary Brigid
01-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi Dorte and Happy New year to you.
This is awsome. I think this is going to be one of your best.......
Will be here for the next instalment you can be sure.
Mary Brigid

*Violet*
01-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Awesome!! Excellent work on the fur, the eyes are amazing, the mouth/teeth are excellent.....I'll be watching this beauty come to life....
me too ...*sitting in my hubby's car while mine is running to thaw out about an inch it seems of ice from the ice storm we're experiencing* !!!!
... gotta love wireless ... :):)

jemgold
01-15-2007, 11:26 PM
This has a great start. Don't you just love that velour paper for animals? I've used it several times and it's been great
I'll check back

bock
01-15-2007, 11:40 PM
He's coming alive before our eyes. Everything is looking wonderful and I especially love the eyes. I just did my daughter's two dogs and enjoyed trying two different types of fur. Can't wait to see more.

Pat

dbjs
01-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Rain 24 > I hope you stop by some other time then, you’ll be most welcome! Thanks for your kind words!

Cravia > wow that’s very kind words, especially thinking about the work you do! I love your animal drawings. I just orderd the book ” Painting Animals That Touch the Heart” so that I can do better animal portraits, just like you do.

Alison2 > Thank you for looking at it! I hope to get another wip on today. I’ve got the whole day off so there’s lots of time to draw! Yeah!! ^^

Netty > hm…let me see. Ah…it’s not easy describing it, I just do it! Lol hm…lets see…..I take the black color and put a thin layer on the dark part, then I take a brown, a Derwent Brunt Sienna 62B pastel pencil, and put on a layer of that too. Then as the last thing I take the black again and make the fur struckture with it. I hope that answers your question. Oh yeah… when working with black fur it’s often hard to get the shine of it, but if you take a blue color and put some strokes in the fur area to, it makes the fur stand out and shine. :) Thank you for your kind words. And don’t hold back on questions. I love helping others!

Bnoonan > hehe ^^ I’ve plans in that direction I’m not filling out the whole picture but I am going to do some more on this before I call it finished. But you are right. Thank you :D

Mary > Hallo Mary!! Happy new year to you too! Thank you so much for your kind words. I’ll be working on the drawing today, so I hope to have something to show you later. :)

Violet > Oh dear! That sounds very cold! You’ve got the winter weather that we haven’t got yet! Here It’s usually a snowy affair but not this year. My flowers in the garden are in full bloom and they are not suppose to be anytime sooner than 3 months from now! We haven’t had winter yet here in denmark.

Jemgold > I LOVE velour paper!! It’s my all time favorit paper. So yes It’s great for animals! Thanks for stopping by and looking! :D

Bock > hehe, thanks! I love to do fur. Hav a link for your dog drawings? I would love to see!!

Netty
01-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Thanks so much for that information dbjs, I found it really helpful!!

:) :)

Annie-Maree:)

dbjs
01-16-2007, 07:25 AM
So the next wip is here. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2007/70378-wip4lille.jpg

dbjs
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
And another wip :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2007/70378-wip5lille.jpg

Rose Baggs
01-16-2007, 02:34 PM
It's coming along very nice Dorte. :) His eyes are beautifully done!

Ruthmarie
01-16-2007, 02:37 PM
I am waiting for the next instalment too. This is fantastic. Ruth

bnoonan
01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Give that dog a bone and that artist a complete set of pastels!!! It's well deserved!

Barb

Paula Ford
01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
All I can say is WOWOWOWOW! I just love seeing this come alive! Amazing

Paula

karenelkan
01-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Another beaautiful pet portrait in progress! I love your animals!

dbjs
01-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Oh... Your all so kind!!

Thank you Rose, Ruthmarie, bnoonan, Paula and karen!!

Here's the finished version of Fie. I've just handed it over to Fie's owner. She had tears in her eye when she saw the drawing. :o
Now I've got another commision job for the same customer. It's another dog portrait. Can't wait to get started on him. He's a bear and elk hunting dog and his name is Anton. He's SO cute!! :cat:

C and C's welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2007/70378-Fielille.jpg

Mary Brigid
01-17-2007, 07:33 AM
wow Dorte. it looks like a photo... so real. I love the way you just sketched in the colar and shoulders. Thank you for this.
Mary Brigid

bock
01-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh, he is lovely! No wonder your client cried! Watching for your next one.

Pat

Merethe T
01-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Oooh, he turned out wonderful! Love the detail-work, the eyes are so alive! Hope you'll be sharing your next piece too......;)

Merethe

dbjs
01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Mary and Pat, thank you both!! Your very kind. :D Thanks for looking

Merethe > I'll most deffenetly share the next one in wip's too. I had planed to, and also because the owners watch the wip's put up. But I hope it can help people to se how I do animals and fur. I love to share. :)

The Art Corner
01-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Dorte, This is just so lovely. Thanks so much for sharing it.
Looks like my Rex we had many years ago.

*Violet*
01-17-2007, 06:07 PM
fabulous ... and interesting that you leave it in an unfinished state ... very effective ... i was wondering how you were going to treat the background !!

bnoonan
01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Congratulations on finishing this one so beautifully and congratulations on your next commission!

barb

dbjs
01-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Shoshana, Violet and Bnoonan, Thank you very very much! :D

Alison2
01-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Just gorgeous! I am not surprised your client cried, it is a beautiful piece of work!

So pleased to hear you'll do your next piece as a wip, I'm just starting out in pastels and not only is your work inspirational, but it's a big help too!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Alison2:wave:

willG
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM
This is outstanding quality , I will follow till the end with great interest.
I have two questions , are you left handed, and is that why you start on the right, and do you like Derwent better than other pastel pencils.?

dbjs
01-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Alison > Well I'm very happy your finding my work inspiring! I always love to share my ways of drawing, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

WillG > No, I'm not left handed, I'm right handed, but I work in that way bacause it makes less of a mess on the painting. Also I have a thing with the eye. I always have to paint one eye as the first thing because that gives me the soul of the whole drawing, does that make sens? And I guess over the years it's become a habit to draw in that manner.

Derwent is my favorite yes, and I don't really use any other kind. When making a really white area I do use another kind, namely FC Pitt's white pastel pencil. Maybe the reason I like derwent the bedst is bacause I've just always used them. Right from the start of dooing pastels they were the ones I used. I am a creature of habbit! ^^ I know!! hehe.... well I hope that answers you questions. If not feel free to ask.

Zarathustra
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Your sense of colour and rendering of fur is very impressive.

Ruthmarie
01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Just popped back to check out the finished painting. Just amazing. You must have such a steady hand. Every stroke seems to be placed exactly right. Very interesting to see a WIP like this one. Thanks for sharing Ruth.

dbjs
01-20-2007, 04:00 AM
Zarathustra > Thank you! I'm very pleased you like it!

Ruthmarie > hehe, I've no steady hand, I just know how to mask a mistake when I make one ^^ hehe...that's the wonders of velour and pastel! No mather what you do, well almost, you can put another layer on and redo the errors. :) Thanks for looking! :D