PDA

View Full Version : WIP wauw, is this difficult

hypnomedi
01-15-2007, 09:57 AM
I wanna learn how to paint a realistic human face.

Saw some great paintings from illustrator John Kearney
and I was lost.

I am a self learning guy and here is what I tried so far.

first tried to paint hair ! Think that will be no problem.
After this I tried lips, nose and are working on the eyes.

And that is NOT easy ! lol :cool:

Comments and good advice are welcome !
Maybe good tips or tutorials ?

Johan

azipofwhisky
01-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I really think you're more than halfway there on the eye in your last painting! Try adding some reflections to make it a bit more glossy.

I do however think that the details on nose and the mouth are a bit too blurry at the moment. Work on defining those lines a bit more to further enhance the features of the face. When working with defining features lines; i use to think of the lines as being the sharper boundaries between light and darker areas.

On the contrary I perceive the hair on the first picture to contain a bit too much detail. Almost on the edge to being furry. Even though there are a lot of details on the top of the womans head, I think that the longer hairs, once they fall along the side of a face, appears to be a bit smoother in general (unless sprayed with hair spray and combed into the present haircut).

:wave:

madster
01-15-2007, 03:58 PM
The most important tip for facial features is Subtlety
Do not use black to outline ANYTHING. Use shades of dark brown.

Eyes are spheres, that sit in sockets, with fleshy lids covering them.
You need to always strive to portray that ball in the socket, but subtly.
There are some VERY good online tutorials on how to draw eyes. A Web search at www.dogpile.com should pull up some of the better ones for you.

Lips are not always "trout puffed," like Angelina Jolie. Most people have more "normal" lips, with the common vernacular of old, "Cupid's Bow" shape. Again, there are some very good tutorials already out there, all you have to do is look.

If you have High Speed Internet, or are willing to wait a long time for the download, here (http://www.charlesriver.com/resrcs/other/1584502320_movie.MOV) is a movie by Don Seegmiller, using Painter to create a portrait.
This portrait can be done with Photoshop, using some of the brush variants. While he, too went for the overly puffed lips, of more importance is the highlights and shading for the nose and eye area, as well as the process, where you can see how things evolve and adapt when you paint digitally.

The only way to get better is to practice, so you are doing fine, keep at it, and you will continue to improve.

Hope this helps!
~M

justjean
01-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Good start now as madster said practice, practice, practice, practise........:)

hypnomedi
01-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the tips.
This is the direction I wanna go.
Made lips already a bit smaller. Think it is better like this.
Next I paint also the ear.

Johan

madster
01-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Coming along nicely.
Nice depth to the nose.

~M

omniartz
01-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Looks like it is coming along nicely! Welcome to WC and Digital Art, where painters paint and lurkers look! Maddy has given some good advice. Keep working at it and you will succeed! :)

hypnomedi
01-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Don't look at colors etc.
It is just a step further in the good direction I think.
Still A LOT to change.

Johan

madster
01-18-2007, 12:23 PM
looking better with each upload, Johan!
Be aware of the position of the face when you paint the ears. The face is not angled away from the viewer, it is "full on," so there will be very little of the cheek or jaw visible. The ear will, more or less, appear straight out from the head.
As you have painted it, the face should be turned slightly towards the LH side,as viewed.

Very good progress!
~M

Chiers
01-18-2007, 02:26 PM
You might want to pay some attention to the placement of features. The average persons eyes will be half way between the top of the head and the chin, or the midpoint of the head. The nose is half way between the eyes and the chin. The point where the lips come together should be halfway between the nose and the chin.
There should be the distance of one eye, between eyes. I figure the front on view of the face should be aprox five eyes across. That helps me decide what size the eye should be.
Now of course, this is a straight on view and once you turn the head from side to side, or up and down that all changes. Also,those directions are for a generic face. Rarely will you find a person whose features are exact. Some people have ears like prince Charles, and some like mine which are very flat against my head. Some have chins like Jay Leno or John Kerry, etc...you get the idea. If you are drawing a generic person you don't need to worry about it but if you are drawing a specific person you need to observe very closely. It is those differences that make us recognizable.

jhercilia
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I think the mouth is too close to the nose. But you are getting there...

justjean
01-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Johan glad to see your putting a bit of shading into this one :)

hypnomedi
01-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Changed the mouth, adjusted the chin, gave a bit more dept to the jaw
and further adjustments on the eyes.
Think the mouth is a lot better now.

Johan

justjean
01-20-2007, 01:37 PM
yes looking better Johan . Here is a link you might find usefull

http://www.portrait-artist.org/face/index.html

jhercilia
01-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Looks better.
Remember that the area between the eyes is one eye width.