PDA

View Full Version : Winter Back Water

Tom Christopher
01-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Hello I finished this a few days ago--This is an area near me where the trees have fallen causing the stream to pool around it --18x26 inches pastel on board--c/c wecome.. thanks Tom

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2007/35607-steam_boat_trail_snow_003.jpg

nana b
01-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Tom, that is absolutely fantastic! I really admire your work. Is
it as easy as you make it look?

nana b

David Patterson
01-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Wonderful painting Tom - love the way you made the reflections!

David

Donna T
01-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi Tom,
I've been so impressed by the work you post but this painting is my absolute favorite. The water looks cold and still and those bushes glow in the sunshine. You have such a talent for placing complements in the right places and a great composition really ties it all together. You should be really proud of this one!
Donna T

Constellation
01-14-2007, 08:10 PM
That is so beautiful, cold and serene.... it makes me shiver. Lovely painting! Donna

Bringer
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi Tom,

This one does transmit the coldness to the viewer.
In my opinion this is technically one of your best.

Kind regards,

Josť

JWebber
01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
another truly beautiful piece!

bock
01-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Wow! Thought it was your reference! Incredibly beautiful.

Pat

Tom Christopher
01-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks All for the support

Nana --let say itis getting easier--after making every mistake possible I am finally getting positve results--thank you Tom

David--the reflections were made by wetting the pastel a dragging it down with an artist brush --fairly easy technique I picked up--Tom

David Patterson
01-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the tip Tom. If I get up the nerve, I might just try water sometime!:)

David

Artaholic
01-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Beautiful, I llike the little animal printsin the snow, your reflections are great. Lovely winter scene!!

*Violet*
01-15-2007, 05:01 AM
ditto to all of the above ... *your best* was what came to my mind too ... an absolutely stunningly effective depiction of a winter scene ... many thx too for the technique tip ... :thumbsup: to ya ...

plec
01-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Tom an Excelent painting, yuo have managed to capture that crisp clear air feel of a winters day.
Best wishes, Ken..

janet7k
01-15-2007, 06:54 AM
I love the branching tree at the apex- wonderful painting.

Mary Brigid
01-15-2007, 07:16 AM
wonderful painting Tom. You are very lucky. You seem to always find inspiration from the area where you live.
Mary Brigid

dbjs
01-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Very lovely! I like it. :)

rain24
01-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Tom,

Boy with each pastel that I see from you, you just get better and better. I really like this one a LOT!!! Gorgeous painting. The tiny hints of pink and purple really make it for me.

~Rain

Merethe T
01-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Tom, I keep coming back to this piece, you really did an outstanding job on this! I love your work, but this time you've outdone yourself.....will probably come back again, love everything about this painting....

boarsrock
01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Love the vibrant colors and flow of the design. I always enjoy viewing your works.

Rose Baggs
01-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Great as always Tom!!!

Trilby
01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Tom your work is a challenge to our vocabulary, how many ways can one say wonderful, stunning work? I like the little details you've included without letting them take over the piece, such as the animal tracks. The rose cast to the bare branched bushes is so spot on and the snow is just excellent. It's certainly beyond me to offer any suggestion to strengthen it.
TJ

jochem25
01-15-2007, 05:36 PM
wauw,

in one word beautifull.

Ruthmarie
01-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Gosh how beautiful. What can you say that has not already been said. Ruth

WILT
01-16-2007, 09:40 PM
This is top drawer pastel work!
WILT

Deborah Secor
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Dittoes to all of the above compliments.

Tom, I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions. I sometimes feel like I wander in after everyone has said all these nice things and pick a painting to pieces. I really don't mean to do that, but your work is SO strong I think asking the right questions can be helpful. However, we all need to be encouraged too--so if I'm a major pain in the neck, just ignore me. :wink2:

Okay. The reflections are to-die-for, and the snag of trees is perfect. The light and shadow on snow and grasses is wonderful. My question comes along the left hand side, where you have several elements that seem to be too evenly spaced or maybe too much the same size. My first question was with the dark branch, but I think it's just that I end up there. I don't know--it's a little awkwardly shaped along the edge. That arch is confusing to me. Below the two dark angled banks there are three snowy spots that seem too much the same size, divided by a dark line, some grass and then that funny arching branch. Just spend some time analyzing that area and see if there's something that could use a tweak. You have a good eye--maybe I'm just tooooooo picky! :rolleyes:

This one is really exceptional, Tom. I'm certainly being hyper-picky, but with a tweak or two, I'd enter this one in some shows!!! Seriously--it's that good.

Deborah

Tom Christopher
01-17-2007, 06:01 PM
thanks Deborah for the critique--I want to make sure I am looking at the same area you are describing--I have outlined the section I believe you are pointing to --is this correct ? tom

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2007/35607-Back_water.jpg

Deborah Secor
01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Shift the box down below the dark area, and all the way down to the top of the Y-shaped branch... I'd take that whole snowy bank into further consideration. Does the dark branch function well? That V-shape on the edge is distracting me, come to think of it. It pulls my eye off to that edge a lot. Do the two banks and the two objects (the snow, grass, snow, branch, snow shapes) seem a bit evenly spaced? Can you create some syncopation there? Deborah

Tom Christopher
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh I see where you are pointing to--I agree the elements are a bit contrived-the reference photo doesn't show any thing there so I added some elements.. I will take a close look and adjust it thanks again Tom

y.vlerick
01-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Marvelous paint, wonderful reflections.
Yvette

Mike_Beeman
01-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Tom ...very nice!! Mike

chewie
01-26-2007, 05:39 PM
this is certainly my fav of yours yet, tom. and i am glad deb brought up that branch--the crossing effect of it bothered me a touch but the rest of it is sooo strong, it was easy for me to overlook. my fav part is that bank area on the right, bout that middle third part. the colors you use for this are stunning. and yup, enter this one tom, it is a winner

kyliecarney
01-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow Tom you just keep getting better and better! Well done, I really like this!
Kylie

Paula Ford
01-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks All for the support

Nana --let say itis getting easier--after making every mistake possible I am finally getting positve results--thank you Tom

David--the reflections were made by wetting the pastel a dragging it down with an artist brush --fairly easy technique I picked up--Tom

What a great tip!!

Gorgeous painting as always!

Paula