PDA

View Full Version : The Daemon Squid

Loki
01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
I absolutely adore squids...

Recently I registed the daemonsquid.com domain for future use and made a vector illustration for the index page, so it wouldnt be blank:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2007/9734-daemonsquid_wetc.jpg

This was done in Corel X3, my personal favorite when it comes to vector images... After trying Painter, I think Corel Corp. makes some very good programs!

Comments are welcome and thanks for reading!

justjean
01-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Great colour in this :)

Yako
01-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Great vector piece....hmmmm could be a like a surrealistic piece....Could be an illustration for a story.
There's something that caught my eye...it's the contrast between the upper half and the bottom one. At the bottom there is a terrible scene...a squid attacking a boat, the woman terrified, the brave sea,the red color....and in the sky there are things that suggest something peaceful and lovely....doves flying, a beautiful starry night with a half moon.... Looks special

green tea
01-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Very cool and imaginative piece, good colors, and composition!

madster
01-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Just one major problem...
It looks like you've rendered an octopus, not a squid.

Squid bodies/heads are elongated, not round. While you did indeed draw that elongation, the contrast is too poor for the eye to easily make it out. The roundness you've painted near the eye, with the curved highlight give a much stronger intimation of a round head.
The "wing" is also too dark in value, stealing even more connotation from the mantle.
Squids have two long tentacles that octopii do not, but they do not look like the other 8 arms. with the lower tentacles beneath the waves, it's hard to discern that the two long curlys are, in fact, the hunting tentacles...
A squid OR octopus's mouth is a simple two-piece "parrot" type beak, not a "semi-naughty" orifice, such as you've rendered...I can well relate to the look on our heroine's face, as she turns away...put a robe on, for goodness sakes! LOLOL!

I like the peaceful/scary effect, as well as your successful use of red to substitute for the expected blues/greens of sea and sky.
It's just the inaccurate rendering that bothers my eye...

~M

jhercilia
01-15-2007, 12:51 AM
Surrealism.
I still like it.

Loki
01-17-2007, 02:55 AM
Thanks you all for reading and commenting!

Particularly, I'm quite satisfied with the design of the daemonsquid... hopefully things will only get weirder from here.