PDA

View Full Version : New Richeson/Unison sanded surface experiments

Deborah Secor
01-13-2007, 12:46 PM
This is the first of my experiments on the new Richeson/Unison sanded surfaces. There are three different substrates: 140 pound paper, Gatorfoam, and hardboard. They come in different colors. The sanded surface is very sharp and deep, deeply textured. It's the same coating on all three substrates. I like it a lot!

This one is on the paper. It's a lovely deep orange-red color, with a border along the edge. This is the 8x10".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2007/23609-newsunrise.jpg
Okay, so the red carried me away. I love playing with color! :heart:

As I work on these different surfaces I'll post them. I have all three to try... and any of you who use the paper are invited to show what you're doing, too.

Hey, gang--a new kind of surface is really exciting. Let's play! :lol:

Deborah

MarciaJane
01-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Not seeen this paper over here as yet. I have used other sanded surfaces for pastels, so will be interested to see how you get on with these.

CindyW
01-13-2007, 02:17 PM
AWESOME COLORS!!!

The combo of the colors and the subject environment happening to be my most treasured and dear-to-my-heart corner of the world are absolutely perfect.

I'm looking forward to more paintings others share on this paper.

Cindy

Kathryn Wilson
01-13-2007, 05:07 PM
love your experiment - we wanna see more!

eye popping colors there girl - :)

David Patterson
01-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Well...of course I love these bright colors!:D I'm interested to see your next painting with the gatorfoam. A heavily sanded Gatorform is now my surface preference. Congrats on your homeless ministry undertaking Deborah...your outward actions, both artistic and spiritual, are very special.

David

janet7k
01-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I love seeing your painting especially because it looks like it was a joful one for you to create...Very nice, wonderful color!

Paula Ford
01-13-2007, 07:43 PM
LOVE all the colors! WOW, a new surface, I can't wait to try it.

Paula

rain24
01-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Wow Deborah, this looks stunning! Thank you so much for posting your experiments on this new stuff. I just saw the ad for it in the latest Pastel Journal and was thinking about ordering it.

By the way, great job on the article on George Shipperley :).

~Rain

Deborah Secor
01-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks, gang... :thumbsup: You need to try this stuff! It's a very 'toothy' paper with a lot of bite to it, sharper then Wallis in a way. I want to try the black paper they sent. I've given a couple of different pieces away to artist friends and students already, so they can play too.

Next I'll try the Gatorfoam... I only have that in the very pale gray. I usually tone my paper a darker value or a brighter color than that, but we'll see what it does. I'm hoping to find time to noodle around with erasing, spraying with water or alcohol, wiping out with the foam brush, things like that--just to see what it does. Times three, of course.

Marcia, Richeson had an ad in the Pastel Journal for a packet of these materials. I don't know if they'll send it internationally, but you should ask! Let us know what the deal is, if they do.

David, thanks. I'm very excited at the potential of this ministry! God is so good. :heart:

Thanks, Rain--George was a delight to interview. A very creative man who really knows what he's doing. It's always great to interview caring teachers. They've already talked about why they do what they do. I bet George is a great teacher!

Deborah

PeggyB
01-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Marcia, Richeson had an ad in the Pastel Journal for a packet of these materials. I don't know if they'll send it internationally, but you should ask! Let us know what the deal is, if they do.
Deborah

Dakota Pastels is offering the same packets at the same $14.99 price, and they do ship internationally if Richeson can't.

Deborah now I really must try the blace pieces I have! The way you describe the texture is just too much like the old well loved Ersta. I think my schedule is slowing down enough now that I'll be able to do this soon. I'll want to do it before the specials are all gone! :lol:
Peggy

Dot Hoffman
01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Deborah, I LOVE your colors!!!! They really speak to me :) I'm anxious to try the papers, too. I like a nice tooth to my paper, even if it does eat the pastel.

Deborah Secor
01-15-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2007/23609-rubbed_out.JPG
Blurry photo--sorry--but you can see I sprayed it down with some alcohol (on the far right hand side), water (far left) and rubbed it out in the middle, plus erasing a section. It all worked well. I couldn't see that this disturbed the grit at all.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2007/23609-tear.JPG
I painted over it and it looks fine. Only problem was that when I carelessly ripped the tape off I tore a section out of the grit. :mad: It may have still been too damp. I can easily mat around this, but it's good to note that I should be more careful!

All in all, I like this paper... More coming in time. Stay tuned.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
01-15-2007, 08:49 PM
That tearing is easy enough to do, especially when the paper is a bit damp. Good thing to know beforehand.

Dee, I've lost track of this thread - is this paper available to the general public yet?

CindyW
01-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Kat, after watching Deborah having fun experimenting, I just purchased this paper set through Dakota as Peggy mentioned above, online. Here is a copied description from their website (find it by clicking WinterSale on their home page):
Cindy

NEW! RICHESON UNISON PREMIUM PASTEL SURFACE
9" x 12" SAMPLER FOR $14.95!
Jack Richeson is introducing a new pastel surface produced on three different substrates:140lb. paper, 1/8” hardboard and 3/16” Gator Board. This very aggressive toothy surface will hold many layers of pastel. Sampler includes Paper, Hardboard & Gator Board in three colors (white, black & red earth) for a total of 9 pieces in a 9" x 12" size.

Deborah Secor
01-15-2007, 11:07 PM
On the back of the recent PJ it says this offer expires on 5/31/07, so it's probably going to be debuting at the IAPS convention. I'd say order it and see what you think...

Cindy, share your results here when you get it!

Deborah

AnnieA
01-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Deborah: it's fascinating to watch you experiment with this paper! The painting's gorgeous...even the little bit where you sprayed it and erased was gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it with us. This surface looks interesting...

Punky2
01-16-2007, 07:05 PM
I ordered the sampler pack from Dakota, but I just received an e-mail stating that they haven't yet received these sampler packs from Richeson. :(

Terri

CindyW
01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi Terri,
I didn't receive a status email about this yet...just an automated initial processing confirmation of my order.
Hmmmmmmm. Keep us up to date on your order fulfillment, as will I.
Cindy

nana b
01-19-2007, 12:06 PM
I just talked to Lisa at Dakota and she said they were hoping to get the Richeson Unison paper samplers in Monday the 22nd. Lets keep our fingers crossed on the Monday arrival, Deborah's experiments have me very interested.

nana b

Deborah Secor
01-20-2007, 02:33 PM
This is another piece of the red paper. I had some with me in class, so while my students worked I did a quick painting on it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2007/23609-red_paper.jpg
8x10"

I feel this one will need more than the half hour I gave it, and there are all kinds of tweaks I'll do, but at this point you can really see the paper shining through so I thought I'd share it with you!

Deborah

Paula Ford
01-20-2007, 02:36 PM
This 1/2 hour piece is a masterpiece already! I need to try some of this paper.

nana b
01-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I think it's good as is, in fact, it's outstanding! Why fix something that's not broken?

Deborah Secor
01-20-2007, 03:52 PM
:lol: Well, thanks, but let me tweak it and see if you like it then, too. Hope so! I just saw some spots where there's no water, and some of the rocks are a wee bit smushy along edges, and I never even added the whitewater that's there--but the big thing will be the shadow on the water, which explains the shaded rocks...

Deborah

nana b
01-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh okay Deborah, maybe a couple or three things, then leave it alone:rolleyes: Like it a lot though.:smug:
nana

Deborah Secor
01-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Thank you, nana! :D

Well, it's snowing here today and since I cancelled my class I've been able to paint! Here's my next one on the 8x10" Gatorfoam panel coated with the grit, this one bright white.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2007/23609-DSCN6947wc.jpg
Wish I could get the color corrected. It's really much more turquoise than this. The magenta isn't quite so in-your-face, IRL, but what can you do when the sun isn't shining? I had to use the overhead lights on my easel and then try to tweak the color... <shrug>

I really like this board even better than the paper. It has a delicacy to it that the paper lacks. I can't imagine why! It lightly grabs the soft and hard pastels. I'm using a lot of Giraults, Schminckes, and Ludwigs right now.

On to the hardboard... I'll keep you posted!

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
01-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Oh wow! I love this one. Looks like I'm going to have to try this stuff!

Kathryn Wilson
01-20-2007, 10:51 PM
So which one are you liking the best? It seems this paper/board really holds the color and the dust well.

nana b
01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Deborah it looks like great fun your having, making us drool:p . I hope Dakota gets theirs in Monday and ships right away. I can barely wait. Well keep having fun and posting:wave:

Nana B

Deborah Secor
01-20-2007, 11:12 PM
I just painted on the hardboard this evenng, Kat, so I won't be able to show you a photo until tomorrow, if then, but of the three I think I like the Gatorfoam the best. Now, that might be partly because I like the lighter color. The red paper is fun and I love good reds under things. I still have one chunk of white paper I haven't given away to my students, so I'll try it and see if he color is part of it. I painted one on the black paper and it was just awful--so bad that I wiped it down and painted over the grayish tone that resulted, though I never finished it. I like the red hardboard, too, but frankly framing anything even as heavy as that dismays me. It might be nice for location painting on windy days, in small sizes! I can't wait until they have all the colors for us to use. The list shown in the catalog is gorgeous. You can check it out at http://www.richesonart.com/cat26.pdf (http://www.richesonart.com/cat26.pdf) (It's a 1.36 MB .pdf file.) The product is referred to as Premium Pastel Surfaces and the colors are on page 6. You'll really drool!

Deborah

AnnieA
01-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Wow, Deborah, you've been busy since I last checked in on this thread! Both of the new ones are just beautiful! I've really gotta get some of this stuff! It looks very promising. Do you think it will work well for oil pastels also? (Maybe that's a hard question, if you haven't really used them much.)

nana b
01-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Deborah, do you have anything else to show us that you did on the Rcheson/Unison paper? I just recieved mine from Dakota and am very excited to try it. But I'm also scared to try it, does that make sense? I don't want to ruin it!:eek: Yes, I am a cowered! I bought three of the most interesting pears at the grocery this morning and they have lots of character so maybe that's what I'll do. I want to set them up just right, so better start that now:p . Did anyone else get theirs? Paper that is, not pears.:rolleyes:

Nana B

CindyW
01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Did anyone else get theirs? Paper that is, not pears.:rolleyes:

Nana B
Yes, I did.
Did I paint on them yet? No.....getting the house ready for a huge party in 2 weeks. After that? Clear sailing to try them out along with some Townsend pastels I got recently, too. I love to experiment.
Have fun with your new paper! :)
Cindy

Deborah Secor
01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I have one other to show you but haven't got any pix yet... I'll see what I can do soon! I'm still futzing with this painting on the hardboard. It erases nicely, I must say!

I gave all the rest of the paper away to my students, so I don't have any more to experiment with.

Deborah

Punky2
01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I received my paper today too! :clap: And I haven't tried it yet either.

The colors in the sampler pack are very interesting: white, terra cotta, and a lovely mid-grey/green called Smoke.

Terri

bluefish
01-29-2007, 07:44 PM
No papers yet - maybe the 'carrier pigeon' got stuck in a snow bank!

spirlene
04-12-2008, 10:29 PM
I am really looking forward to using the sanded boards.
Thanks for posting the pictures you did on yours. I loved the way they looked-the colors were exciting and the texture of the pastels was beautiful.
The material helped but you are terrific.
thanks

chewie
04-12-2008, 11:03 PM
altho deb makes it look good, i am sorry to say that i do not like this paper at all. waaay too much like drawing on a sidewalk! i realize this is an old thread, but if anyone wants to try it, i will send it for price of mailing. pm me if interested. not to be a downer, everyone should be willing to try new things! this one just didn't work for me.

spirlene
04-12-2008, 11:35 PM
I would be happy to cover the cost of sending the material. I live in northport ,ny. Let me know how we would work that out. I am a newbie

Deborah Secor
04-13-2008, 12:06 AM
I still like it a lot! I particularly enjoy the gatorfoam board. My only disappointment is they ended up only making red, black and white... I wanted purple and blue and turquoise! It is gritty. Grabs a ton of pastel. Very fun.

Deborah

mrking
04-13-2008, 12:08 AM
where is this stuff available?

Punky2
04-13-2008, 09:33 AM
You can find it here: http://www.dakotapastels.com/paper_richeson.shtml

or here: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/6399/art-supplies/4