PDA

View Full Version : Leaning on her Hand

omniartz
01-12-2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2007/69150-0_ladyhand1Asml.jpg

:wave:

BrendaSue
01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Another great graphic Kirk! She has a Joanne Woodward look about her... must be those cool blue eyes.

Bree

omniartz
01-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Thank you Bree! I'm glad you like her. I am trying to improve my vector output and each image presents a challenge. She is not a movie star I got an image from our RIL here. :)

Skinny
01-13-2007, 09:23 AM
She may not be a movie star, but Bree's right....reminds me a lot of Joanne Woodward. Your vector work is really GOOD, Kirk. :thumbsup:

madster
01-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Yup, she does look like Joanne (gads, we are an old bunch running around here, eh?), but I have an issue with some of your accent "lines."
The half a wide moustache, the too wide cheek crease, and the nose shadow on her right side (LH side, as viewed), combined with the too large highlights on her hair (they kind of resemble dollops of icing), give this a bit too loose of an effect, and look too crude, compared to some of your other work. Also, her eyes are a bit too light of a blue, making them borderline scary, rather than piercing.

Something is off on her hand, also. The proportions are off, as your hand placed next to your ear in that pose will put your palm at your chin, with the wrist directly below it. You have her fingers up to her ear, but the knuckles near the chin, and the wrist near the middle of the neck. Are her hands really that large?

Otherwise, Kirk, I like the way you combine flat fill colors with textured background fills. The hammered metal effect of the soft dress is a good visual, and helps give these pieces a more "personal" flavor.

~M

jhercilia
01-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I like the overall piece and colors. What looks strange is where the hand meets the ear. The hand looks kind of big too. I would be good lo lightening/softening 'the mostache' (shadow).

omniartz
01-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Thank you, Kristen, Maddy and Janet! All very good observations. Yes I had trouble with the hand, and I see what you mean about the mustache effect! LOL Joanne Woodward with half a mustache! And I too remember her, aging ourselves or we are movie buffs! :)

omniartz
01-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Well I attempted to make some adjustments to the hand and the moustache and here is the result. I am still learning the vector tools so bear with me. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2007/69150-0_ladyhand2Bsml.jpg

madster
01-13-2007, 06:34 PM
The hand looks better.
The eyes still creep me out.
The icing on her hair is starting to harden...;)
The gray moustache looks better with the Grecian Formula, but I think you should just shave it off entirely, and give her another philtrum line beneath her nose...
You're actually doing quite well with the vectors, Kirk. It's one of those tools that the only way to get better is by doing, and redoing. You still show a good basic design knack. It's just fine tweaking your technique.

~M

omniartz
01-13-2007, 06:57 PM
The 3rd Incarnation:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2007/69150-0_ladyhand3Csml.jpg

justjean
01-13-2007, 08:46 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

omniartz
01-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks to Maddy I beleive I have a working image!

Thanks for the thumbsup, Jean!!

Thanks to everyone that had suggestions, too!

jhercilia
01-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Looks better without the 'mustache'!

omniartz
01-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Thanks Janet! :)

madster
01-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Another good job, Kirk!
SO glad you know I'm just "pickin' on you in fun," with my analogies.

~M

omniartz
01-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Another good job, Kirk!
SO glad you know I'm just "pickin' on you in fun," with my analogies.

~M

Constructive criticism with a sense of humor is hard to find! Your analogies make me understand how an image may appear to others, and are appreciated! I will continue to try and keep an open mind and my sense of humor intact!! :clap: