PDA

View Full Version : beach scene wip

mf.sutton
04-11-2002, 05:48 AM
Had a go at a beach scene, I need to do something to it, maybe more palm trees, maybe better palm trees ?, any suggestions welcome - Mike;)

gnu
04-13-2002, 05:25 AM
Just MO, I would place some large, closeup fronds only in front of the present palm to create another plane, don't know what else..
Just my 2 cents worth, I could be WRONG!!!:)

Funkybeachart
04-13-2002, 10:46 AM
What do think about making the palm leaves larger and dominate then add something in the top left hand corner. Maybe birds or cloud formation. It will create a triangle connecting the tree, rock and birds/clloud. I love your selection of colors. The other member's comments about the colors of the sky is absolutly correct. MAke it any you want. I paint alot of funky beach stuff. Go to my site www.funkybeachart.com for some ideas.

Funkybeachart

CathyD
04-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Hi Mike, mmmmm.... can I go there? Very nice warm colors. I agree with the other comments about making a connection. Nice work!
Cathy

paintergirl
04-13-2002, 11:35 AM
I love the warm sunset against the cool clouds in the forground...I am in agreement with playing up the palm or adding something to the very forfront of the picture that gives that added depth...grasses, a palm frond...

LarrySeiler
04-13-2002, 12:21 PM
A nice composition overall....

however, with the sun as low as you have it in the sky, the value of your palms would actually be darker...and respond nearer to a silouette.

One way to judge such things (in the future) is stand there on the beach, shores, meadow...wherever, and judge the palms by not looking at the palms. Judge them peripherally. A trick I learned about two years ago.

If you want to get the colors of an area of shadow adjacent a mass lit up by the sun, for example....don't look at the shadows of the scene, but sense it peripherally by looking at the lit up mass.

Some people wonder how I get such intense violets and blues in some of my shadows, of snow...etc., but....such hints of those colors come thru best when not looking directly at the space. You'll get better "sense" of it as it hints more presence peripherally.

So...if you were standing there and the sunset was the "ah-Hah!" and its effects on water...you send a subconscious signal to the viewer that this was the main thing that motivated you as a painter to paint it to begin with when other things are subordinated to make the "ah-hah!" more apparent.

What will happen is...as you stare intently into the palms, you will indeed see more color and the value will appear lighter. However, if you judge the palms while looking across the water and sunset, the value would have appeared darker, and color cooler by contrast. More silouetted.

The tendency of younger painters will be to paint everything they see in a scene, or the values and hues they see staring at everything individually. To facilitate greater growth and maturity, you need to decipher what your "ah-Hah!" will be. That or those few essential elements that capture the spirit of the scene or what motivated you. I refer to the "ah-Hah!" as that moment you nail it and it resounds with your spirit. Once you decipher what your motivation is...what "thing" is essential...then you subordinate the prominence of everything else and force them to pull together to put the drama where it needs to be. By judging values and colors peripherally, you will in essence be making your "ah-Hah!" the featured star of your production.

I'm not saying you should never look directy at a color or judge it, but keep this principle in the back of your mind and every so often judge your painting and the scene thus....so that you know what is important remains what is important! Take care....

Larry

mf.sutton
04-13-2002, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone for having a look.
Gnu, great idea, already added another tree (see attached update), may still go with the fronds only idea tho.
Funky I am definately going to add birds, I like that it will give a nice triangle.
Cathy thanks for your comments.
Paintergirl, maybe the added palm has done that, but maybe some grasses could help also.
Larry, I have read lots of your articles and am a big fan, I will be attempting to take notice of my peripheral vision, and will am going out this week just to try that, thanks for taking the time.

Mike
:D

amanda
04-13-2002, 08:49 PM
I agree about the silouetted trees, they would really look great. Good work though, I really like this one.