PDA

View Full Version : Fishing boats

Antti-Jussi
01-12-2007, 03:51 AM
Hello, I'm new here in WC. Many thanks for looking at my work.

This painting was my first started on location and also my first one with a water element. My first time painting boats, too... Actually now when I think of it, every single element was pretty much of a new area to explore for me in this painting. Easily the hardest piece I have yet worked on. What do you think? What have I done right and what did I miss? Any critiques greatly appreciated!

Started on site and finished in a studio from a photo reference. What I learned by doing this one was that boats are tough to paint, and the white ones are a real nightmare!

A-J

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2007/97675-kalastusaluksia.jpg
Oil on card
37 x 52cm
September 2006

Link to a larger image: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43368831

c&c welcomed :wave:

JanB
01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Welcome! There are a lot of very nice things going on in this piece. The composition is laid out nicely and contains many elements giving it a sense of complexity. You are right about the white on the boats. Actually they are too white. White will pick up and reflect near by colors and white that is in direct sun often has a warm yellow tinge to it. Try to bring more subtle color into the boats and I think you will like them better.

brianc
01-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Nice work. I like your composition. The relative size of the objects provides a nice depth. Your colors also grey to the distance, adding to the perception of depth. Good work.

You may want to consider the importance of that distant tower. It draws a lot of attention. Unless you want it to be the focus, you might consider removing it. Doing so allows the eye to stay on the boat. What do you think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2007/36225-97675-kalastusaluksia_sans_tower.jpg

Antti-Jussi
01-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Thank you JanB and brianc for you constructive critiques and kind comments. Much appreciated!

Yeah, the boats were tough to paint. I think I might just try and add a touch of reflections like you suggested as I'm not too keen on the screaming whiteness of the vessels. Many thanks for pointing this out!

The telephone tower... From the beginning I wanted to include it in the piece. Here where I live these masts are, in my opinion, a big part of the cityscape. I mean not in the most visual sense, perhaps, but they are somehow characteristic to the spirit of the town. I do see a huge difference in the manipulated version and the original, but I'm not sure... Compositionally, I guess it would make sense to get rid of the mast, but initially I did aim for the idea that the parallel vertical lines would bring together the hill and the boat nearest to the viewer. I don't know if this idea gets through, though. Also the shape of the bottom part of the tower repeats itself on the truss of the boat on the left. I like these details. What if I did a little resizing job? I will play with it in Photoshop and see how the change works out. Great observation brianc!

Thank you again for taking the time to view my work! And please feel free to comment more. I'd like to learn from you!

A-J :)

brianc
01-17-2007, 07:24 AM
The telephone tower... From the beginning I wanted to include it in the piece. Here where I live these masts are, in my opinion, a big part of the cityscape. I mean not in the most visual sense, perhaps, but they are somehow characteristic to the spirit of the town. I do see a huge difference in the manipulated version and the original, but I'm not sure... Compositionally, I guess it would make sense to get rid of the mast, but initially I did aim for the idea that the parallel vertical lines would bring together the hill and the boat nearest to the viewer. I don't know if this idea gets through, though. Also the shape of the bottom part of the tower repeats itself on the truss of the boat on the left. I like these details. What if I did a little resizing job? I will play with it in Photoshop and see how the change works out. Great observation brianc!
A-J :)
Certainly, if it is a part of the landscape that is important to your intended customer, then you should leave it. Be cautious about making it the wrong scale. Good luck.