PDA

View Full Version : Foxgloves and poppies

Sonia
01-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Gouache on Bockingford rough 5.5" x 9.5". As usual, very much in a watercolour style. I'm not sure that this is finished - I usually like to add some sort of background to my floral paintings, but will ponder on this. C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2007/17097-Floxgloves_and_poppies_web.jpg

Cross-posted in the Watercolour Forum.

meglyman
01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I love how it looks spontaneous and simple, yet detailed. It works very well without a background.

annie.nz
01-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Lovely painting. I'd be interested in your thoughts on adding backgrounds to watercolour paintings - I have 2 or 3 still lifes/florals ready for backgrounds (my first 2 or 3 painting efforts, that is) but haven't a clue how to approach it. What colours? Perspective? Smudge? And how do you avoid messing up the foreground?

Richard Saylor
01-18-2007, 06:12 AM
I think it doesn't need a background.

Richard

Sonia
01-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Meg and Richard - thanks for your comments - I think I have decided to forget a background on this one.

Annie - usually I prefer to sketch my flowers, then wet the paper and drop in background watercolours (using the same as those I intend to paint the main subject with), allowing them to partly blend as they dry. Gouache lifts more easily than watercolour so I didn't use that technique on this occasion. With the "Snakeshead Fritillaries" (also shown on this forum) I completed the background in watercolour and then painted the main subject in gouache.

When I do add a background at the end I usually work round the main subject with small areas of clear water then drop in the paint, brushing the colour out to the edge of the painting - again using the colours used in the main image.