PDA

View Full Version : Native American Girl

Diana Lee
01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
I am doing a mate for the native American boy I did a while back. She, too will be 12 X 16 claybord smooth with color pencils. The detail I am showing is only a very small part of the piece, but there were a lot of questions about how I get my darks with color pencil. I started with black crosshatching (first picture). Then I use burnt umber (second picture). Then I added the rest of my colors. In the darks I used Indigo blue and tuscan red. I hope this answers your questions.

Thank you Cathy for the reference image.

Diana

Crias
01-10-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm looking forward to watching your progress. The NA boy turned out great and I am sure this one will too!

Diana Lee
01-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I haven't finished with the face yet, but I have moved on for now to the background and the headband.

Diana

Diana Lee
01-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Sorry, I forgot to include the ear detail.

Diana

Celticelf
01-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Wow!

Diana Lee
01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I have added more color to the face, mostly poppy and umber. I also added more black to the background and worked on her hair. I noticed when putting in the detail image that I kinda messed up the ear. I have always had a hard time staying in the lines. I will fix that. So far I have been using an X-Acto knife for scratching. I will probably move to something more powerful for the feathers.

Diana

Bertoni
01-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Diana:
Have learned so much from this...now if only I can put that learning into practice!!!???!!!?? I truly hope your book becomes a reality!!

JDuckett
01-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Looks Great! I love your attention to color and detail. Thanks for showing the different stages.

Diana Lee
01-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Here is the latest. I am still having a bit of a problem with the beaded collar, but I will come back to that later. I also need to work on the braid. I may take a razorblade and remove the braid and start over again, but I will work around it for now and see what happens.

Diana

Diana Lee
01-15-2007, 12:41 PM
This may be done, I haven't decided yet. I don't think I could have done the feathers with such detail without it being on scratchboard.

Diana

I just saw my post and noticed that it looks kinda pixely. Sorry about that.

Crias
01-15-2007, 01:05 PM
This came out awesome!! Great work and thanks for the detail shots.

Garbonzo
01-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Diana this is such a beautiful picture. The colors are so bright mixed in with the blacks and then there is the face. awesome.

Diana Lee
01-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks people. I went back in last night and darkened the background on the left side of the image. I just didn't like the lighter background, it didn't look finished. Now it has been sprayed and it is done!

Diana

Dave Slaughter
01-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks so much for these wip's.
I recently read that JK Rawlings, the author of the Harry Potter series, had eight rejections before she had an acceptance. I hope you are still searching for a publisher.
If you do wind up having to self-publish and only want to do it on a limited basis, there are places that will only print the number of books you specify. I recently had two copies of a book made of a collection of some of my wildlife photos, for my mother and one of my brothers for birthday gifts. I had it done through Apple and the books look great. This avenue would allow you to get orders from some of us who really wish that book would come out quickly. Just an idea - you probably know a lot more of this than I do.

Celticelf
01-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Diana, I hope you know how awesome this is. What did you use for color? I also am hoping for access to your book. The article you wrote for WC about scratching first got me started before I ever joined. We need you.

TrryCk
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
just saw this. clicked on the link from a new thread re:using colored pencils with ink.

i was blown away by the detail and workmanship of this piece especially being interested in native costumes and customs. i LOVE this piece. Great job as always Diana. i admire your talent.

Terry

pamelalbd
07-06-2012, 11:40 AM
♫♩♬ HEAVEN ♫♩♬...♫♩♬ I"m in Heaven ♫♩♬ :heart:

richconflictart
07-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Diana, really amazing work. The tutorial on this piece was very informative too. Thanks for taking the time to show the work in progress.
Rich

snoball
07-07-2012, 08:22 AM
I love this tutorial too, glad you guys brought it back up. Beautiful work Diana. If you ever do a bad job I hope you will post it so we can see you are human. :D

MattOKC
07-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but can I contribute something? I'm Native, so let me speak from that perspective.

This is a very, very good drawing. Wonderful, actually.

For the record, we do not like it when our clothing is referred to as "costumes," which someone did in a previous comment. They are not costumes, they are regalia. Minor issue, but it's something that bugs us.

One curiosity about the image is that this is described as a Native American girl. Unless there's some tradition I've never heard of somewhere, our girls don't wear the "roach"-style headdresses. That's a men's item. See: http://www.native-languages.org/headdresses.htm

Ma_Jiesi
07-23-2012, 04:02 PM
beautiful, i love the colors

brushandknife
07-24-2012, 02:58 PM
I haven't seen this one before. Diana, I absolutely love your colored pencil works. They are so soft, yet great color. Very unique. Glad someone brought this back up. I hate missing such great stuff.:eek:
Carol

birdlover
07-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Wow Diana incredible.

TrryCk
07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Matt you are correct. the error of calling the regalia a "costume" probably comes from the idea that people normally only see these regalias at events such as festivals, rodeos or special features like the Pow Wow competitions like we have up here in Canada featuring our First Nations and Sixth Nations people. If anyone never seen these competitions, you really dont know what you are missing. the experience is amazing.

Terry