PDA

View Full Version : "Kitchen pieces" in gouache

Pelardon
01-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Hello everyone.

New - and French... - in WetCanvas, Jamie told me to post here this gouache. So I do with great pleasure. It was painted from life for the Scavenger Hunt (Mixing bowl and spoon, flour, brown sugar and eggs). On grey paper 25 cm x 32 cm (10' x 13 '). 2 hours. Even after correction, the scan colours are a little more saturated than in the original.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2007/96455-Kitchen.jpg

Comments and critics evidently welcome - to complete my own...
(Among these : I'm not proud of the flour texture ; no real texture in the "sugar" - which is in fact hazelnut powder, easier to put in the bag after ! ; false shape and treatment of the eggs, which were better earlier but I have too much reworked them !

Cordially,
P.

meglyman
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Pelardon,

I think this looks great. You've used the spotaneity of gouache well, and I like your color choices (especially on the highlights). The metal looks very real!

I hope we get to see more.

Meg

fivespices
01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Wow, this painting is great.:clap: :clap: I specially like the spoon & the bowl. Do you might to share the colors you used on the bowl and spoon. The drawing is also great.

Thanks

kim

Pelardon
01-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all !
I used only the 3 primary colours + white (Pebeo gouache) with a little more blue on the shades on bowl and spoon. I suppose the colour and density of the grey paper is the real thing ! I come from watercolour so I use translucent washes of gouache, especially in the shadows.

Cordially,
P.

fivespices
01-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks Pelardon.
I shall experiment this by using your bowl and spoon if that is OK with you.

friesin
02-07-2007, 09:21 AM
What a wonderful still life !!!
What sort of paper did you use ?

Pelardon
02-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Paper : Mi Teintes Canson (gris chiné / gris fumée)

Alachua Artist
02-20-2007, 09:45 AM
very nice handling of the gouache and paper - interesting composition, too. I espcecially like the "loose" feel to it while maitaining enough detail. Good balance between the hard bowl and the other elements.

You could try some dry brush touches to the flour and sugar - that may give you the texture you are looking for.

Very nicely done.