PDA

View Full Version : Need inside knowledge to fix html/web problem. Anyone savvy here?

LarrySeiler
04-10-2002, 02:25 PM
I have designed several sites so far, but this latest one of my own has me a bit confuzzled.

On PC's...everything appears to be working, that is...at least with browsers using Microsoft Internet Explorer. The word I get is that not everything appears to be working for those that have Netscape.

On the other hand, I have checked out my site on the iMacs and Macs in general in my classroom at school. Neither the Explorer or Netscape browsers show things working totally right.

I'd be interested in a number of people looking my site over, and report if its working or not. Secondly, I removed a couple syntax tags and things in my "html" that I thought would help. Though they did not.

I used Microsoft Frontpage to design, and tend to work with the "html" as much as possible rather than just the templates. I'm more knowledgeable than some, but not experienced enough to catch what I'm doing wrong.

For one thing...the pages that show a thumbnail/link grouping of my paintings have been programmed to have a black background, yet when I check the pages out at school on my iMac, they appear white. Funny thing is, I call up the source from the View on the toolbar, and it shows the command for the black background. Go to an individual painting from the thumbnail, and the background is black.

For another, on Netscape browser...my iMac shows my painting page with the symbol on a black background and links to plein air galleries, links to my instudio landscape galleries, etc; and has those links to the left overlapping the symbol. I designed the links to be in the black to the right of the cropped painted image, and below my name. Internet Explorer on PC's shows it all to be right and working.

Some pages come up black, showing nothing else.

It has me a bit confuzzled as I said. From my system, all looks well. The problems were pointed out to me from a couple that has purchase a good deal of my art already. So, if anyone knows enough about html and can spot what the glitch is, I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking that perhaps my Microsoft product (Frontpage) and Netscape are not seeing eye to eye.
-Larry

my website- http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

DLGardner
04-10-2002, 04:14 PM
Hi Larry,
I checked out your site and it looks really good to me. I have the latest IE 6.0 so that may be why. You might want to put a spot on your page that says, "best viewed with IE 5.0 or above" Than your viewers with problems will know its their browser and not your skills that's messing up. You won't be able to make it read right with all viewers.

BTW, thanks for introducing me to this site! I posted my latest little painting in the landscape forum, and I'm working on the iron horse project. This is like going back to school. I love it!

Dianne from TSM

Caron
04-10-2002, 04:44 PM
Larry, Im using Netscape 6.2 and all looked fine to me. pg1 had bk BG , art pg had white BG and Gallery had bk BG. I went to gallery1 and saw 10 thumb pics at top of page -2 rows of 5 and additional links bottom left. No overlapping at all. I also have IE6 and Dianne has already checked that.Dont know if this is helpful.....

LarrySeiler
04-10-2002, 05:42 PM
Thanks you two....I'm sure we'll hear from someone that can't seem to pull things up, then maybe we'll get some inkling why.

Like I said, I have problems getting the site to come up right on both browsers on the iMacs...and patrons of mine...so, something wierd exists.

Glad you are enjoying yourself here Dianne....you'll fit in fine.

I've often compared the community here to what perhaps Van Gogh had in mind with his longing for the "Yellow House"

Many here will offer friendly critique...etc., but often many will wait to know someone is comfortable to have such.

I enjoyed the colorwork of your landscape piece by the way. Captures atmospheric sense quite nicely.

Larry

DLGardner
04-10-2002, 05:50 PM
I'll be bracing myself for the critique. :D

Maybe your patrons need to clear their cache before viewing your new site...??? Sometimes that makes a big difference.
Also, did you load it yourself ws_ftp? Or some other way. Sometimes you need to upload the images seperately to replace the ones you already had on your server...or maybe there's an old file in there for the background...???

I'd be curious to find out what the answer is to this.

LarrySeiler
04-10-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Dianne Gardner
I'll be bracing myself for the critique. :D

Maybe your patrons need to clear their cache before viewing your new site...??? Sometimes that makes a big difference.
Also, did you load it yourself ws_ftp? Or some other way. Sometimes you need to upload the images seperately to replace the ones you already had on your server...or maybe there's an old file in there for the background...???

I'd be curious to find out what the answer is to this.

my host has created an online ftp folder for me to open and upload images, text files, etc.,

the thing is, I built my site 3-4 months ago under my old "artsmentor.org" name...then a couple domain hosts merged and my registration or some strange thing lost my original name, the new one was given to me.

...the old files under the old url did the same thing as testified by my patron's attempts to look at the site then as well. I was down for a couple months and had forgot until I announced my site up and ready. They then informed me the same thing was happening.

Perhaps they have an older version of Netscape...hard to say.

Larry

ketah777
04-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Hi Larry, I'm using IE 5 so it looks fine to me. I know that's not very helpful, but I just wanted to say that I am so impressed with your artwork. I love the way you paint water scenes! Very beautiful work! It's no wonder you're so successful. :)

Heather

TPS
04-10-2002, 08:39 PM
Two things Larry. One is that FrontPage is notorious for only working well with the IE browser, and especially buggy with Netscape. Two is that Netscape4 does not use the background tag the same as IE. You may be able to correct this by repeating your background tag within the local element definition.

Remember the global tag is background-color: black, while the local tag is bgcolor="black"

Also, users can set their browser to override your background colors. It's best to design with this in mind.

As to alignment, Netscape requires you specify the size of border, cellspacing, and cellpadding.

LarrySeiler
04-10-2002, 11:09 PM
Hey....there ya go, thanks DJ!!! See....just hang in there long e'nuff and someone that knows what they're doing comes around!

I figured it was something like that...an older version, and I'm not surprised that something as simple as BG versus "background" could be the culprit.

It never ceases to amaze me that computers, web design, etc., has all these little things to learn, and that often it is as though computers are very emotional touchy high strung things!

I'll mess around with it...and see what happens! Thanks....

Larry

LarrySeiler
04-10-2002, 11:19 PM
well...I mess around a bit, but then it did dawn on me....a good number of the pages do show up black though I'm using the "bgcolor" tag....just some do not. That's what struck me as weird.

I'll keep messin with it. If you think of something else, thanks!

Larry

ldallen
04-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Hi Larry,

Can't give you any information other than I get a black screen with your name, a few brushes and a harmonica - just one page. I have Windows XP.

TPS
04-11-2002, 09:38 PM
That reminds me Larry. Some browsers will not be able to see your rollover titles for your splash page images. You should add some text links so those folks will know how to enter your site. Or at least a link like 'click on an image to see more'.

Kevin M
04-16-2002, 07:12 AM
Where different browsers are concerned, it is a tall order to write html which will be all things to all people. However things are getting better as people update their computers and in the meantime Browsercheck http://www.netmechanic.com/cobrands/zdnet/browsercheck/ is a good way of checking how your html will fare on different browsers. It will also isolate any glaring syntax errors.

You can also SEE how your page will look on different browsers at http://www.anybrowser.com/siteviewer.html

You can validate your html at http://validator.w3.org/

An excellent shareware html checker is Realvalidator (Windows) http://arealvalidator.com/

Kevin

LarrySeiler
04-16-2002, 07:54 AM
why Kevin....those sound like awesome links, will definitely check them out! Thanks.....

Larry

Kevin M
04-16-2002, 08:49 AM
You are welcome Larry.

On Browsercheck, if you can get a full score on the browser compatability tab I gather that this corresponds to 90% of all surfers being able to see your page more or less as you designed it - and that this is as good as it gets. I usually keep loading a corrected page until I get near enough a full score on all tabs.

Offline, Realvalidator for Windows will code sweep a page for you and if you get a 'no errors' message there will usually be no compatability problems either.

Kevin

McGruff
04-16-2002, 12:25 PM
There are a couple of problems with your page that are hindering older browsers from displaying it correctly. First, you are missing the closing table tag, that is problem causing the most problems. You are missing a closing font tag somewhere as well. I downloaded your page, made those changes, and then it displayed fine on an older browser of mine.

You also have a couple of tags font="" and order="2"
They aren't standard HTML, so you might want to do away with them.

The problem with the positioning comes from screen resolution. Basically, not everyone is going to see the same thing you do, because they have different settings on your computer. This is especially a problem with background images. To solve the problem, I would do this:

Do away with the background image, instead, just use an all black background. Then create a table with a specified width (in pixels). Now use the image as the background to the table, and put the links in the table.

The difference is, you can't really know for sure how wide a screen is going to be, as everyone has a different screen resolution. However, if you specify a width for your table, you know exactly how big it is going to be.

Hope that helps.