PDA

View Full Version : Sennelier Pigment & Lightfastness Brochure

graeler
01-07-2007, 04:03 AM
I've been hunting for a couple of month's now to track down pigment info about Sennelier OP's. I tried twice--once in French--to get pigment & LF info directly from Sennelier. I never heard back. Could be my French was bad, or that they don't pay much attention to their web traffic. From the state of their English translation site, could be both.

De rien. I gave up and tried contacting Dick Blick. Within a week I had a Sennelier brochure that listed all their current OP hues, pigments, transparency, and lightfastness thereof. (And names in six languages--that's just fun.) Blick also included, although I didn't ask for, a listing of the colors that come in each set of Senneliers.

(Go Blick! You guys truly are a qualtiy & class act!)

At any rate I thought the brochure might be of interest to some folks here. I scanned it and ended up with three fairly sizeable files. Fairly useless to shrink or compress them. Before I ruthlessly chop them into little bits in order to post, is there any way to circumvent the WC max file size rules? It would be far easier for most others to view (and definitely easier for me to post) three relatively large files rather than a dozen small ones. I'm talking about 1200x1100 pixels and a little shy of 900k. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

sundiver
01-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that large files are almost impossible to open if you are on dialup..

Pat Isaac
01-07-2007, 12:48 PM
I'll check it out with one of the mods, Ryan.

Pat

CarlyHardy
01-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Ryan,
can you convert the files to PDF? If so try an upload of the pdf file....they will be much smaller in size. If you have your own site, I'm thinking that you can post them there, then just link to them too.
carly

AnnieA
01-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Since it appears to me that you may be leaning toward a purchase of Senneliers, Ryan (and for anyone else who may be interested), I'm posting this link to a great sale on Sennelier sets that I happened across this morning:
http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art-supplies/online/1197/art-supplies/4

(although, I suppose that you may want to offer Blick your business. since they were of such assistance...)

Pat Isaac
01-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the link,Annie. It is interesting to see what colors they put in their special sets.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
01-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Ryan, Carly's idea is best. You just can't upload files that size on WC. To my knowledge, there is no getting around it. Then there is the dial up problem, as Wendy mentioned.

AnnieA
01-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Pat: hey, I hadn't noticed that! I've wondered about the composition of those sets too. Thanks, Pat!

For anyone else who is interested, you can get a list of the pastel numbers contained in the sets by clicking on the "Tech Notes" link for each. You need to go to the page for the particular set in order to see the link.

graeler
01-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Oooooohhhhhh, dial-up! :mad: I hates it. Catch up with the times people...! :D <--totally kidding: I'm spoiled by DSL that I have to have at home for my job. Tough gig, eh?

I tried to convert it to PDF and got another 850k file. Unless someone can tell me that it compressed in transmission, I'll just go with the chop job. Fairly small price to pay for all the free info and entertainment I've gleaned from WC over the years...

And a big thanks to Pat to directing the issues to the mods, and K & crew for all their unseen, underappreciated moderation. Didn't even think about hitting up the moderators directly for an answer. How's that for gratitude! :rolleyes:

"I wept for myself, for I had no answers in my thread, until I met a moderator who who had no thanks. Then we both met a webmaster and we sobbed and sobbed for that sorry sob..." :D

graeler
01-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Okay gang, even ruthlessly chopping I can't get a simultanteously manageable and legible file. Some anonymous angel [*cough* it was ann *cough* aka ColorMyWorld *ahem* ] offered to try take a shot at compressing the file and post it on her site. I have to rescan the brochure and edit out my wild scribbling--started taking notes before I thought to share--but I'll get it her way as soon as possible.

In the meanwhile I'm going to try and make a little time to type out the pertinent info. Will post that as soon as possible as well.

Should find time to get it posted by tonight or tomorrow, but don't hold your breath: I'd hate for anyone to turn all PB15:3 in the face... :D

AnnieA
01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I'd hate for anyone to turn all PB15:3 in the face... :D

Well, Ryan, since PB15:3 is the green shade, I guess you're trying to make us all envious, too. :lol:

Thanks for your efforts on this, and Ann's offer of help, too.

graeler
01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, Ryan, since PB15:3 is the green shade, I guess you're trying to make us all envious, too.Nahhhh...just everytime I hold my breath I get a little queasy. Thought that happened to everyone... :D

Bringer
01-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Hi,

What about posting it on your website ?

Kind regards,

José

graeler
01-08-2007, 04:33 AM
For anyone else who is interested, you can get a list of the pastel numbers contained in the sets by clicking on the "Tech Notes" link for each. You need to go to the page for the particular set in order to see the link.As it turns out, the set contents are also listed at Dakota. Just select a set and a new, smaller window opens with set contents. Includes--ready for this--the names of the pastels. Way easier than the ASW/Jerry's system. Kinda wish I'd discovered it earlier tho. :p

http://www.dakotapastels.com/oil_sennelier.shtml

graeler
01-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Here you go, gang, raw data:

Pages are identical to the large file, just seperated out for ease of download. And while uploading these I noted that the file limit for an attachment is 1 MB. Won't really help those of you on dial-up, but I'll go ahead and post the pdf files of the scan as soon as I can get them converted.

ColorMyWorld
01-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Ryan, Here are the brochure pages you sent. I got each to 500pixels and about 100kb. Had to give up some in readability.

LJW
01-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks so much Graeler for rounding up this information and taking the time to make it available to all of us. I really like to know which pigments are in a given OP, and it will be particularly useful for comparison when making my own OPs. And thanks Ann for helping out with this. Jane

AnnieA
01-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for all your work on this, Ryan.

After all that work, I sorta hate to throw you a curve by mentioning that the Sennelier fixative is a UV protectant. :evil:

J/K...the pigment info should be quite useful. Merci. And thanks to you, too, Ann.

graeler
01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Pas d'une problème, mes amis! Glad to be able to give something back. And for those of you with broadband, here be the brochure in vivid technicolor. Be warned, very large files ahead:

As for you, AnnieA, "Intrinsically impermanent materials will not be made more permanent with fixative – there is no magic wand that will make degradable materials into archivally permanent materials." http://johnelliot.com/ques.htm

....smarrrt-ass [read in a Mike Meyer's Scotish brogue] :D

AnnieA
01-10-2007, 01:17 AM
As for you, AnnieA, "Intrinsically impermanent materials will not be made more permanent with fixative – there is no magic wand that will make degradable materials into archivally permanent materials." http://johnelliot.com/ques.htm

....smarrrt-ass [read in a Mike Meyer's Scotish brogue] :D

:lol: Well, it looks like I got my comeuppance. Serves me right. (Seriously, I had come back to edit out my (admittedly somewhat snarky) joke...but it was too late. I'm glad you have a good sense of humor, Ryan. :))

graeler
01-10-2007, 02:01 AM
:D

Not a thing--made me laugh. And as I said on the Purpose of Life thread:

Obviously one of my purposes in life is to be as silly as possible whenever possible. As far as I know, man is the only animal with a sense of humor: perhaps our purpose is to fill the world with laughter...
So snark away! Just beware: I'll snark right back!

:D :evil: :D

AnnieA
01-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Obviously one of my purposes in life is to be as silly as possible whenever possible. As far as I know, man is the only animal with a sense of humor: perhaps our purpose is to fill the world with laughter...

Filling the world with laughter is a lovely thought. Have you heard of those "Laughter Clubs"? Laughter's supposed to be therapeutic! It ups the seratonin levels in the brain - just the act of laughing makes us feel good. So, I'm all for silliness!

graeler
01-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Laughter's supposed to be therapeutic! It ups the seratonin levels in the brain - just the act of laughing makes us feel good. So, I'm all for silliness!
Y'know I am way too miserable right now to fully address that, but do you really believe that claptrap? I mean, really! It's laughable:Ah-hahaha, ho-ho, *snicker* chuckle, chortle, grin, Wah-hah-hah hahahahaha, Bwah-ha-ha-ha, *gasp* hee hee hee *pant* hee hee hee *wheeze*OH-ho hoh ho ho ho, ah-ha..ha...ha, oh...god...stop... you're killing...me hee hee hee.... ha ha ha ha...he he...hee...hee...
Huh? Suddenly I feel better, wonder what's up with that? :D :evil: :D

Yeah, laughter may not be the best medicine, but it sure makes the real medicine--and usually the ailment--alot more bearable. None too shabby when you're not doing poorly, either.

Looks as if we may be starting our own 'Laughter Club' right here. 'Course back in my day we referred to them as 'Giggle Sticks'... :rolleyes:

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."Kurt Vonnegut
:crying: :( :o :) :D

Pat Isaac
01-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all this work, Ryan. I have downloaded everything and will find it very helpful for people in my demos and workshops who are really interested in pursuing OPs.
I prefer laughter...hahahahahahaha.......

Pat