PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Prismacolors...works!!!

Shell
04-10-2002, 10:02 AM
I read about this and decided to try it. I glued my small stub to the top of a new unsharpened pencil with that glue that dries in 15 seconds (and that you dare not get on your skin!) and wa lah! It worked. I even burnished with it. Didn't know if this would be news or not, but thought I'd share. Also, your supposed to be able to sand the bottom of a Derwent and be able to do the same. Haven't tried that yet but will soon. Is it time to buy more pencils :D ??

Shell:)

TracyN
04-10-2002, 02:23 PM
I do that too :D so far, I've only had one pair of pencils that just refused to 'glue'. It's a great way to squeeze the last drop of pant from the pencil tube heheheh

CarolinaGal
04-10-2002, 03:26 PM
Great idea!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

No more hand cramps from trying to hold on to those itty bitty pencil stubs yeah

CG;)

stalksthedawn
04-10-2002, 03:39 PM
great idea...I'm gonna have to try that soon...got about 10 stubs each of white, black and peach which are really getting on my nerves lol.

TracyN
04-10-2002, 04:44 PM
Just a suggestion though. Use superglue Gel. The regular superglue is much runnier than the gel.

Brooke
04-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Yes, it works really well. I've done it many times (learned from Barbara Newton when I was once able to take a workshop from her). But there are two tips: 1: Be sure to glue the pencils together straight or you will have a hard time sharpening (I put mine up to a right angle like a book laying on your drawing board until the glue dries, and 2: Be sure to glue the ends having the color name and number together, so you won't end up sharpening that info off (as I've done :crying: ). It is a great way to use up every ounce of your pencil.

arlene
04-11-2002, 03:16 AM
i used to do that until i squirted the crazy glue all over my table and my keyboard......sigh

now i put a tape around the new and old pencil and sharpen till i just reach the tape...i'm throwing out all of 1/2 of pencil...i don't have patience for crazy glue or gluing anymore (it's why i gave up paper sculpture...LOL)

Wendy Booth
04-11-2002, 04:39 AM
That sounds like a fantastic idea :cool: But the pencils I buy (Derwent Studio) and all the others I've seen come pre-sharpened. I have pencil extender though and that will make pencils last a little longer.

Which coloured pencils can use your method for?

Ivyleaf
04-11-2002, 05:01 AM
Prismacolors. I did glue the ends together on one of them once. I found the balance was wayyyyy too far off for the nerve damage in my arm to handle. So I figure I'm worth new pencils so when they get too short I just go buy more!

:D :D :D
Ivy

TeAnne
04-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Yaaaay good idea :D

TracyN
04-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Ivy, yeah it's difficult to get them lined up exactly right. Sometimes the flat ends that you're trying to glue aren't exactly level (but more often than not, they are level). What I do is put a piece of Vellum transparant paper (it's very smooth and the glue doesn't stick to it as badly as regular paper, plus the glue doesn't leak through it) on my desk. Then I put a VERY small dot of gel glue on the end of one pencil and squidge it about a bit to make sure that it's on the wood part (not just the wax part). Then I place both pencils down and butt them together. Using my finger on the seam, I gently/carefully roll the pencil till the seam feels smooth (lined up) and hold for about 30 secs. Any glue leakage easily releases from the vellium and I spend the next 2 min picking glue off my finger LOL

MyCatBites
04-14-2002, 10:42 PM
I found a super glue with a little brush. It is kind of like nail polish. I brush a little on each pencil and force them into a kiss that will last until my sharpener chews right though. Most of the time I can use the pencil all the way down till the seam on the lead is exposed. Then I snap it off. A little revenge for a those accidental snaps on my paper.

TracyN
04-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by MyCatBites
A little revenge for a those accidental snaps on my paper.

HAHAHAHa Ain't that the truth! :D

TracyN
04-24-2002, 01:24 AM
Couldn't resist posting this pic. Here's one of my glue jobs. You can see the seam between the pencils. How's that for squeezing the last drop from a pencil? heheheh

TracyN
04-24-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Wendy Booth
That sounds like a fantastic idea :cool: But the pencils I buy (Derwent Studio) and all the others I've seen come pre-sharpened. I have pencil extender though and that will make pencils last a little longer.

Which coloured pencils can use your method for?

Wendy, I'm sorry...I didn't see your post earlier. I do this with Prisma's (the only pencils I use ever). The Rexel Derwents that I'm familar with have a rounded and painted backend, so it won't work with them