PDA

View Full Version : Help, portfolio ideas for an Illustrator position.

dreamingtree
01-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey, I just found a local company seeking an Illustrator for children's publications. The position would be in-house. It seems like a good opportunity. I am well rounded in my skills, but don't have much as far as my portfolio goes that would really fit what the postion describes. I do have time to create new some work over the next week before the position closes and wanted some ideas of what I could work on to include in the portfolio that I send to them. I will include part of the job description.

Illustrator Wanted Full time for children’s publications, requires assoc. degree or equivalent experience. Start immediately. A portfolio of similar illustration work is required. Candidates will demonstrate drawing and digital coloring skills on art test to be provided. Must be proficient in electronic formats—Macintosh platform using Adobe Photoshop. Illustrator and/or other design programs a plus. Must be able to handle multiple projects under deadline, yet maintain high quality and accuracy.

What kinds of things should I work on to include in this portfolio? Any medium ideas? I know that children's publications run a well rounded gamut of styles and mediums. So is that what I should do, is show myself to be well rounded in as many mediums as I can? The position closes in one week, on January the 12th. I will also post this in some other threads to get the most responses in the shortest amount of time. Thanks for your help.

Skinny
01-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Why not illustrate some of the classics, like "the three little pigs", "Little Red Riding Hood", etc.

I have NO experience in this area, so all I can do is wish you the BEST of luck!

jhercilia
01-09-2007, 11:43 PM
My suggestion is to research this company and completely familiarize youself with the products they market; in other words, their children's publications. Your portfolio should contain the best of your work, work that shows your different techniques. It should also, of course, contain similar work to what they promote.

Good luck.