PDA

View Full Version : Dead Tree

Wendy Booth
04-10-2002, 02:49 AM
I have already posted this on the Pastels forum, but I thought I'd give it a go here as well.

I have been drawing for a while and I think I've got a reasonable handle on that. But, colours just don't seem to come naturally to me. I drew this tree, specifically trying to make the colours work in a way that would make is so it wasn't just a dull brown tree! I am not sure about the grass either.

The image is slightly darker than the original and was scanned in 3 parts - hence the lines across. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wendy Booth
04-10-2002, 02:55 AM
This lighter version might make it clearer.

Patrick1
04-10-2002, 04:57 AM
I guess you're asking how to make colors more vivid.

Here's some very basic ideas if you haven't yet used them.

Instead of adding white to lighten the highlights of an illuminated object, try using more yellow in your mixture with white.

To show dark/shadow areas, instead of using black or dark grey, use purples and blues.

I think both these could give your picture more spunk, if that's what you're looking for.

Some artists use hue to show light & shadow as much as different values.

Wendy Booth
04-10-2002, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was just wondering if I'd got the right idea. Its difficult to see the actual colours on this scan but the dark shadows contain a lot of dark indigo and the highlights are mostly cadmium orange, burnt umber and blue grey (which is the same as the sky). So, although you can't see it, it sounds like I might be along the right lines.

What I don't like is the grass. Its just a sea of green. Glowbug suggested I might try oranges under the grass before putting down the green, so I might give that a go.

Its a shame about the scan, because there really are a lot more colours in it that you can see on screen.