PDA

View Full Version : Jazz

Diana Lee
01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Here is one I got out of the reference library. She has been my biggest prize winner. She is on an 11 x 14 piece of Essdee Scraperboard. I have included some details as well.

Diana

ScratchboardArtist
01-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Juried shows and grant applications usually have categories based on the different media. Which category do you usually enter? I have been thrown into mixed media and sometimes into drawing. There is rarely a scratchboard category in the competitions I have entered. Just wondering...

She is beautiful. I love your cross-hatching. Your work shows that you must have a very light touch and precise control of pressure. It's easy to see why you won!

Diana Lee
01-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Thank you.
I have NEVER seen a scratchboard catagory. I am usually "mixed media" or "other".

Diana

ScratchboardArtist
01-04-2007, 12:16 PM
No, of course, you're right. I haven't seen a scratchboard category either. Thanks for the insight.

Bertoni
01-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Diana:
Just wondered what your favorite tool might be for that incredibly fine crosshatching???

JDuckett
01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Wasn't this in International Artist magazine a couple years ago?

Celticelf
01-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Diana -This is even more incredible - I have portrait questions pertaining to your cross-hatching. I'm a believer now, though I don't yet have a touch I am comfortable with, but do you cross-hatch on hair, eyebrows or fur that flows in definite lines?

Diana Lee
01-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Terri...I don't use crosshatching on hair, fur, feathers, or any thing with a definite grain or direction.

Diana

Trilby
01-04-2007, 11:12 PM
John, if it wasn't Dianna's piece in International Artist, I believe Lorna Hannet's rendering of Jazz was published.

Dianna, your cross hatching is so very superb, I'm taking note. This is a beautiful rendition and it's not surprising that it takes prizes.

I'm proud to say that my local Association has had the good sense to establish a scratchart category in our monthly shows and our two judged shows. We have 6 to 8 scratchers so we were able to lobby and got removed from the drawing category into our own. Only problem is finding judges who comprehend this art form and don't treat it as some kind of bizarre drawing.

Diana Lee
01-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Sorry John, somehow I missed your post.
Thanks TJ for getting that one. Jazz just screams scratchboard when you see her. I need to find more sb artists locally so we can combine our voices for a sb catagory.
Burt, for Jazz I used an X-Acto knife with a #11 blade, and the pointed nib for the scratchboard tool. I only use Hunt/Speedball nibs. They are very difficult to locate, but if you have an interest I will send you a URL for an online supply that carries them. Dick Blick does not carry them.

Diana

Bertoni
01-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Diana:
Thanks much for the info. Yes, I'd appreciate that URL!!! Your crosshatching in Jazz is superb!
It would be a good thing for me to learn with loads and loads of practice of course!!!

JDuckett
01-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I thought I remembered seeing one. This looks great, as do all of your pieces.

Diana Lee
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Thank you John.
Does anyone know if Lorna has posted this piece on Wetcanvas? I so like her work.
Burt...Here you go, You can resharpen these with fine sandpaper so they will last awhile, but I would get a few while the getting's good.
http://www.danielsmith.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0113.exe

Diana

Trilby
01-06-2007, 12:09 AM
I think Lorna posted it some time back on Mixed media It may be in the scratchboard archives. I'll see if she has it on her website and get back with an address.

Yes, she posted 12-2-2003. For the future here's the url for the scratchboard archives: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-347.html.

and here is Lorna's rendition of Jazz: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150237

TJ

Bertoni
01-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Diana:
That Daniel Smith URL came up zero...but I checked and found that ArtSupplies OnLine has the Speedball scratchnibs in stock. I'll order a bunch from there!!!

Trilby
01-06-2007, 01:25 AM
I used Dianna's link and entered a search for scratchboard and two speedball nibs are shown. The url for that page is as Dianna entered it too, but doesn't work.
TJ

Diana Lee
01-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks TJ, Lorna's work is amazing.

Burt... I am surprised, I just recieved my order yesterday from Daniel Smith. did you search for scratchboard nib? Oh well, at least you found them, sorry I wasn't much help.

Diana

Rodman
01-06-2007, 08:55 PM
what a wonderful work of art.....i'm blown away...Rod-Man

Rosie_Posie
01-06-2007, 09:58 PM
you truly are the MASTER!! Your cross-hatching is amazing...
ditto what Rod-Man said... hehe
Andrea

Judi1957
01-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Wow Diana!

I bow in your presence!:clap: :clap: :clap: Totally amazing!:eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2007/37258-61349-worthy.gif

Mary Woodul
01-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Diana, this is remarkable work!

Diana Lee
01-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Thank you all so much for your generous words. It really makes me want to go out there and do better to be worthy of such praise.

Diana